“Best Location in Oxford”
Review of The Bocardo

The Bocardo
Ranked #68 of 80 Oxford B&B and Inns
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
“Best Location in Oxford”
Reviewed 28 August 2012

I stayed for one night at The Bocardo and was happy with my stay. Like many of the other reviews, I agree that this is not quite a hotel - more a collection of lovely rooms. The lady on reception was lovely and happy to help and the rooms are of a very high standard with all new fittings and a great shower and comfortable beds.

The only thing I can think of is that some people will not like the noise from outside in the front facing rooms. For me, it did not bother me though.

There is no parking available through The Bocardo, and parking is very expensive and hard to come by in Oxford. We parked at the secure Gloucester Green car park (next to the bus station) which is a 1 minute walk from the hotel. The only problem is that overnight parking is £30+ and the ticket machines are not clear on what it actually costs for overnight parking. I'd advise using the Ringo service to pay for your parking if you use here.

Room Tip: A room at the back of the hotel is much quieter.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed 22 August 2012

Stayed here with my wife and 2 children for a week. We were visiting for the London Olympics but stayed in Oxford – what an accommodating place! Service was great from beginning to end. Our flight was delayed so were late for the standard check-in times but rang the manager to let him know and he kindly stayed to greet us. Location is perfect- right in the heart of Oxford.
Rooms were impeccably clean, as was the rest of the establishment – we’d asked for rooms near each other and got just that! (plus, beds were huge and very comfortable)

We didn’t really know how to get around/ travel to London but the staff were so helpful – bus stop LITERALLY 30 seconds away and train station not much further. I’d definitely come here again.

A tip : we booked direct by ringing the hotel and they beat all prices on the internet (I checked) so I would suggest doing that for a better rate.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 August 2012

On the off chance me and my girlfriend had the opportunity to go somewhere for an over night stay. We looked at Oxford and The Bocardo came up with good reviews so we booked up.
First impressions were good, it was a superb location and looked clean.
We checked in just after 2pm, we were told our room was not ready but we could go up. Very strange being the afternoon. The room was very small and once eventually cleaned we really liked it.
We went off for the day sightseeing but quickly popped back to grab our coats to find our door had been left open by a member of staff with our bags in the rooms, very worrying.
Had a good night sleep and requested to check out 11.30 to give us time to grab some breakfast at a local cafe.
On our return we were hoping to spend 20 minutes on the bed relaxing before we traveled back to London. This 20 minutes never happened due to a cleaner in our room which gave us no choice but to finish packing and leave despite asking to extend check out.

The £93 pounds for 1 night was a lot considering there was no breakfast or even a bar/lounge. I wouldn't even call it boutique or a hotel, it was nice but not memorable.
The Location was perfect but there was no real management,structure or communication between employees although everyone was friendly. It was just like staying at a friends house in there spare room.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
England
Reviewed 7 August 2012

This is not really a hotel. You enter from the street through a door which opens with your key card and which leads up a narrow staircase to the first and second floors where the rooms are located. There is a small reception desk, which is not always staffed, although you are given a contact number for a staff member should you need anything. The staff are lovely, and very helpful, but there are no other facilities apart from your bedroom, and no-one is on duty overnight in the building.
The room was very clean and comfortable, and everything was new. The decor was bright and modern, with attractive curtains and bed linen. Reasonably sized shower room, again all new fixtures and fittings to a good standard although as one or two other reviewers have noted, some small unfinished bits here and there maybe simply because it is so new. It was rather expensive for a room of this size and quality, but the location is excellent in central Oxford, near the New Theatre, loads of restaurants and shops and there is a very good (and well known) Italian restaurant downstairs, so you can get your pasta and tumble up to bed. I did not get bothered at all by room noise, although I can see that could be a problem with the location. Went out for breakfast-there are loads of places to choose from. Overall, very OK as long as you know it is rooms, not a hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
NEWCASTLE, UK
Reviewed 1 August 2012

Very nice modern hotel with helpful staff in a great location. Extremely clean and light rooms with nice decor. It doesn't have a restaurant or bar etc but as it's so central this isn't an issue.
Would definitely return.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel are quieter
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank CAMDVM
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 12 July 2012

We found this hotel very comfortable and clean. Staff were helpful. Very well situated for the city centre and easy walk from the bus station.

• Stayed June 2012
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 June 2012

This is a very odd hotel. I am not even sure it counts as a hotel at all.

Really its just a collection of rooms and a reception which is not staffed from early evening (although you are given a contact number).

There is nowhere to eat or drink - and one is pointed towards the cafe that is under the hotel. However, that place serves on of the worst breakfasts that I have ever had so probbaly pick somewhere else.

The room I was in seemed fine for a single night stay, but would begin to feel a little claustrophobic if one was in it for a while. The bed was good and the standard of fittings was a high.

I might use this again if I was in Oxford overnight and could not get into the Remont, but overall I would say it was overpriced for the facilities provided.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business