“Decent nights sleep”

YHA Oxford
Hereford, United Kingdom
“Decent nights sleep”
Reviewed 12 October 2013

This hostel is pretty decent. Two mins from Oxford train station, and what a great view of it from my bedroom window I had, but it wasnt too bad even with the window open. Beds were comfortable, clean and dorm I was in had an ensuite which ws a nice surprise - that to was very clean. Beds had there own personal bedside light which is a comfort I like to have when hostelling. The lockers were of a big size, personally only had a small backpack with me but a big suitcase on wheels would have fitted in.

The lobby was very comfortable, large soft sofas and bucket chairs. The reception staff very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was great value and the dining room had a boat on the ceiling which was prettt awesome! Great outdoor garden to either enjoy your breakfast in the morning sun or drink until it wakrs up with help from the onsite bar.

Didnt personally use the SC kitchen but stuck my head in and it seemed to have everything you'd need.

Distance wise to Oxford, a ten minute stoll. Safe enough location to go out at nigjt by yourself and well, I'd recommend staying here!

Room Tip: Face the front if you dont want the trains - but to be fair with the windows shut you could barely h...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Jonkoping, Sweden
Reviewed 3 October 2013

I liked that each room had its own bathroom, you didn't have to go out in the hallway to go to the toilet. The bathrooms were clean. The breakfast buffé was great, it had everything you could ask for! The location was very good, just a ten minute walk to the city center.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Leicester
Reviewed 23 September 2013 via mobile

A group of us booked in here for a cheap city break. Location is great, right behind the train station and also on the sea court park and ride route. Reception staff are friendly and there is a luggage room to leave your bags until check in. Lobby is nice, full of comfy sofas and they have somewhere where you can get a cup of tea which was good.
Abit disappointed with the room. I under its a hostel but I wasn't expecting to make our own beds! Also the design of the bunk beds make it really difficult to get into the top one so I ended up dragging the mattress onto the floor and sleeping there.
Nice surprise to find our room was ensuite, a not so nice surprise was what we found in the toilet!
We felt that our room hadn't been cleaned for a few days as it smelt quite strongly of feet so we had to crack the window open and spray perfume to try and unmask the smell!
The biggest negative for me was that there didn't seem to be any staff/ security working at night.
We are all quite young and like to party but when we returned we made sure we didn't disturb the guests. However a big group came in after us ( about 3-4 am) and were banging on the front door ( too drunk to work out you have to open it with your room card) and then once they finally managed to get in they ran up and down our corridor screaming and fighting. For about an hour.
Felt quite angry about this as I bet it woke other guests too.
To add insult we then had to strip our beds in the morning and then I paid a fiver for one piece of bacon, a sausage and a hash brown.
I think my review is quite jaded by my lack of sleep and for a basic no thrills stay it was fine, just really think they need to consider night time staff

• Stayed September 2013
Cardiff
Reviewed 22 September 2013 via mobile

Easily to locate from Oxford train station, however there did not appear to be any step free access to the building.

The location next to tracks does not create noise issues due to triple glazing in rooms (although may be an issues in warm weather/if fellow occupants or shoes necessitate ventilating the room!)

Rooms and beds were clean and the space well used without being cramped in the 6bed I stayed in.

Staff friendly, welcoming and knowledgeable about local area.

Breakfast was disappointing as being served 1 bacon and 1 sausage (other items declined through choice) at the hot counter is not the 'all you can eat' service advertised. Also, there is no provision for individuals to avoid massive group queues-I arrived for breakfast at the time stated and there was already a queue of c50 high school students I front of me. As voucher was non refundable I had to push in or miss my ongoing connection.

• Stayed August 2013
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Stayed over for a night on our trip to Oxford and were satisfied. The room was clean and well prepared for us, the staff friendly. The rooms are located separate from the social rooms which allowed for rest and good sleep. We only had a stop-over during our trip but left with really nothing to complain about. Thank you, would recommend.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
London
Reviewed 2 September 2013

It's a mystery to me how this hostel has such good reviews. I thought when I entered the lobby that it looked quite nice, but once I saw our room (private double en suite) I was very let down. It looked more like a prison cell to be honest. Two of the most uncomfortable beds I've ever slept in, matresses and duvet with stains on them, and the sheets that were lying in a pile on the bed were really badly wrinkled and really damp (obviously someone rushed them from the dryer). We were waiting for our room to be cleaned before we could check in, so you would expect it to smell of some form of cleaning products when we entered it. But it definitely didn't. I couldn't tell it had been cleaned in the last couple of days.

Worst of all was the shower. We paid to have a private bathroom, but it wasn't very clean at all and the water from the shower basically ran along the wall and it was impossible to have a proper shower.

The room was very warm so needed to keep the widow wide open all night and it was VERY noisy.

The only good thing I could see in this place was that it had a good large beer-garden in the back. But who wants to sit at the YHA when Oxford has so many nice old pubs? We definitely didn't.

Would never stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank inaol

Travellers are raving about these Oxford hotels

Reviewed 20 August 2013 via mobile

Room (for 6) was a little more expensive than previous hostel - presumably because of en suite facilities - but I would rather have a decent shared shower than a poor private one. The shower head was fixed and the cubicle small - so great for washing your shoulders and not much else! The room had some damaged plaster cracks making it look a bit shabby but the worst problem was the noise from the adjacent train station - secondary acoustic glazing was fitted but the room was so hot we needed the fresh air. Also the design of the bunks make getting in the top bed really difficult. No parking - but nearby park and ride was efficient. Good points - very central - good breakfast - friendly and helpful team of staff.

• Stayed August 2013