“Good service and comfortable facilities”

Cotswold Lodge Hotel
Ranked #14 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Good service and comfortable facilities”
Reviewed 13 April 2011

I was a little disappointed initially with the room, considering the price, but the hotel grew on me very quickly, due to the good service. The hotel was very clean and the bar was very comfortable for an evening drink. The staff were very patient with some demanding guests and I think some of the other reviewers on here are mistaking laid back for uninterested. I would definitely go again, because I could rely on the quality of the rooms, but price might put me off. Location isn't really hard to find and is a reasonable walk from the city. Very close to the excellent Pitt Rivers Museum and good parking.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank comrade_11

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
  • Slovak first
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Reviewed 24 March 2011

No welcome at this hotel - just the most curt and off-hand receptionist I have encountered in the last hundred hotel nights. There was no lift, and no offer of help with luggage. Just as well I did need her assistnace with anything. Continuing with her private phone calls was more important than dealing with customers. Three fellow travellors formed the same view independently. Other staff were pleasant and helpful.
General environnment and breakfast was good. Bathroom was a triumph of trendy style over practicality ! Room was cold. Setting of timer for the evenings suited me, but radiators never got more than luke warm. Hot water supply was intermittent.
20 minute walk from city centre.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank SteveWoodgate
minnesota
Reviewed 15 March 2011

Beautiful hotel. quaint furnishings, friendly, helpful staff. Hard to find though, we woudn't have even known about it had our cab driver not recommended it. Even if you happened by it, you might think it's just a very large home.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank kt115
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 March 2011

I have stayed at the Cotswold Lodge many times times down the years and it's sad to find it has become so unattractive and uncompetitive. Our overall impression was one of cost-cutting. Our room, a double on the first floor (no lift), was small, dowdy and cold. The bathroom was positively freezing. Adjusting thermostats didn't help. We called reception who sent up the barman/porter. He fiddled with the towel rail which became warm for less than an hour then went cold again. The receptionist volunteered a small fan heater, which was not really up to the task - couldn't be used in the bathroom, of course. The overbath shower was feeble. Breakfast (included) was very good, with friendly service.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank pmosley
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 March 2011

Too many bad reviews thats all i can say room was cosy and warm,breakfast was nice and all staff that i met from arrival to leaving were good. From parking and idea for shopping in the city plenty of things to do and see

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank faceme
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 March 2011

Arrived at 5pm on Sunday the 27th of Feb for 5 days. Was met witha very abrupt check in, in fact rude. Registration card was shoved at me to sign and was given a key for a room without any any eye contact let alone a smile or a welcome. Room was ok but on the 2nd floor and no lift. I attempted to call reception for forty minutes to ask for an iron and board and the line was engaged so I went to the front desk where the receptionist was on the phone, sounded like a personal call and ignored me for a full 3 minutes so I returned to my room seething. I went back ten minutes later and she was still on the phone so I interupted her. I asked for an iron and she nodded to me and turned away! eventually, a very pleasant woman came with a board and asked if everything was well with my room. The radiator didnt work very well and the hot water was tepid and took a long time to come through, hence it was very wasteful. Breakfast was not very good at all, I asked for porridge and got an odd substance that was cold. Next day, 2 poached eggs, watery and over cooked. I was awoken every night at about 01.30 by a banging in the corridor which sounded like someone wandering about and slamming the doors. The housekeeper, a very pleasant older eastern european lady was the only redeeming feature of the hotel. However, I would not recommend. I completed the customer satisfaction questionnaire but didnt hand it in as the same woman was on reception when I checked out and I had no confidence she would have submitted it after she'd read it. A nice hotel spoiled by rudeness at reception and some simple maintanance issues that would take very little to correct.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 February 2011

We found this hotel by chance as we drove towards the city. Lovely historical looking building, with free parking! We have since found out that it cost a small fortune to park in the city so this was a great bonus!
The first room was of a nice standard, but the receptionist offered us an upgrade to one of their deluxe rooms for just a bit extra so we accepted and the room was beautiful with slippers and bath robes - a welcome sight after walking in the rain.
Breakfast was tasty and filling and the staff we met were all friendly and kept the coffee coming.
I saw from previous comments people had issues with heating and water. We did not find any fault during our stay so perhaps this has been rectified?
This hotel seemed to be a little gem and we would stay again.

• Stayed February 2011