“A fabulous find”

Ranked #11 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Bedford, United Kingdom
“A fabulous find”
Reviewed 4 January 2012

We visited this hotel for twixmas break, made to feel at home straight away, from receptionist to bar staff and waiting staff, nothing was too much trouble for them. Great food, reasonably priced drinks, what more could you ask for. Would recommend it to anybody.

Room Tip: As a dreaded smoker, ask for a lower courtyard room and they open straight out onto the patio, with...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
  • Slovak first
York
Reviewed 31 December 2011

I needed to stay overnight in Oxford for a work meeting, and a colleague recommended the Cotswold Lodge. It was convenient for my meeting the next day, and easy to get to. I walked to the hotel from the rail station (about 20 minutes, your mileage may vary). Check-in was easy and I was given a room on the ground floor.

My room was small, with a queen sized bed, desk, chair, closet, and bathroom. The decor was too "twee" for me (lots of frills and such) but that's my taste; the bed was comfortable, and everything worked. The room, however, was very warm, and this was August. The hotel supplied a fan, which I had to keep going all night - unfortunately the window allowed for no air circulation. In any event, I did get a decent night's sleep.

Breakfast the next morning was very good - freshly prepared and good quality ingredients. The staff in the restaurant were friendly and helpful.

Checkout was as painless as checking in.

Overall, the hotel was absolutely fine -- the decor was just not my taste, and the temperature is difficult to do anything about. I'd certainly consider staying again if my business took me to the university in Oxford.

One final note: the website quoted me different prices than I was offered by telephoning. Do give them a call to see what offers they have available.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank pandoras_chocolates
Biggleswade, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 December 2011

Having stayed at this hotel for 2009 christmas and enjoyed a thorouhgly festive break with excellent food and great staff we decided to make a return visit.We arrived on Christmas Eve
to a negative reception and absolutely no atmosphere at all. Christmas day was even worse with no festivity at all.The breakfast was abysmal and lunch defies description but I'll try the turkey had been cooked days before carved and reheated it was bland and tasteless, the christmas pudding was inedible and cold The evening buffet was even worse if you can believe that possible. The heating in the room was uncontrollable and the musty smell in the corridoor was overpowering. It ruined our Christmas. We will definitely not be returning ever

1 Thank bernard c
Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 December 2011

The pros:
15 min. amble into centre of Oxford
Good sized free car park
Bus stops outside hotel and frequent buses into city centre
Helpful staff
Very comfortable bed
Atmospheric bar (although overly warm and airless on lst evening)
Dinner of good quality and everything well presented and served

The cons:
Stayed 2 nights and I experienced only lukewarm water from shower all 3 days
V.expensive wifi charge - £7.50 per day
Very poor service 1st day at breakfast, waited 10 mins. plus at table and then had to ask
waitress for coffee etc. and ask how we ordered breakfasts. Only then were we given menu
After ordering we waited nearly 40 mins. for cooked breakfasts to arrive. An apology ("because there was a table of 8 to be served") was forthcoming eventually.
Why doesn’t chef cook all the basic & keep them warm in oven, just cooking eggs etc. at last minute ?

Duvet cover was torn and ragged at opening end.
Rather aggressive waiter at dinner who, after we had been seated, demanded in v.loud voice to know whether we had booked in for dinner (which we had of course)

All in all we had a pleasant stay though, and it was a special offer break which we felt gave good value for money.

Lincolnshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 December 2011

The whole two night stay was wonderful. We had booked an autumn deal which included bed, breakfast and evening meal for just over £45 a night - fantastic deal especially with the free parking. We ate off the festive menu which was very varied and was beautifully served, tasted great as well. As we had to get to the theatre by 7.30pm we were offered an early dinner at 6.00pm, and asked if we would like to have our puddings and coffee when we returned. We were upgraded free of charge to a feature room, so nice we would have liked to have stayed longer. Nothing was too much trouble for any of the staff. There was an oil filled radiator in the wardrobe to top up the heating, it is an old (but beautifully maintained hotel), we put this on and the room was always warm.
We would definately stay again. Walk into town was easy, even after the theatre - just wouldn't fancy it in the rain.

Room Tip: The extra you might pay for a feature room would be worth it.
1 Thank llc7peacock
Grantham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 December 2011

Liz and I only stayed here for one night on a long weekend trip to Oxford then London. We booked via Late rooms and only paid £85, which is pretty competitive for a hotel close to the city centre and on a Saturday night.
A week before we due to arrive I received an email from the hotel telling me that there was a Christmas party in the hotel on the night of our stay and that there was likely to be some noise until midnight. Pretty considerate I’d say.
Another notable feature of the hotel is a decent-sized free car park which is significant consideration when choosing a hotel in Oxford, as parking is generally in short supply and not cheap!!
The hotel is situated in nice looking old building just on the Banbury Road, about 10 minutes’ walk from the City Centre. We were greeted by a friendly and helpful receptionist and our room was available although we arrived 30 mins before our allotted arrival time.
Our room as on the first floor and it’s worth noting there is no lift, but we were told this and offered help with our baggage immediately without asking.
The décor in the hotel is pleasant enough and above all I would say it is very clean. The corridors and some fittings in the room showed a few signs of wear and tear but it had the feel of a well cared-for establishment. We didn’t eat there but the menu looked good and there were a couple of interesting veggie options.
Regarding Wifi, it seems there are two options; a low speed connection which is free, and a high speed connection which costs £7.50 per day.
The TV was a decent sized fairly new looking flat screen Toshiba with Freeview, and the TV reception was good.
The bed was firm but comfortable and we both had a good night’s sleep with minimal disturbance from other guests.
We didn’t stay for breakfast as we always feel hotel breakfasts are bit on the expensive side, but opted to use a little café down the road.
One point of note, when we arrived the window was open and we didn’t think to close it before we went out for the evening as often hotel rooms can be a bit too warm and stuffy. When we got back it was a bit nippy and even though I turned the radiator up full it never really got properly hot. Not a problem for me as I don’t like it too hot but Liz found it slightly cool in the morning. Might just be this room, and I didn’t mention it at all as we only stayed one night.
Overall, I’d say this is a nice, reasonably priced hotel, with friendly and professional staff, situated very conveniently for the centre of Oxford and I would certainly stay here again.
I hope you find my review helpful.

Reviewed 6 December 2011

I stayed by myself in the hotel for one night for an interview in Oxford. Parking was fine. The reception staff were ok but didn't seem to really understand me because they were foreign so felt quite hostile and unsociable. I felt like a nuisance when I needed to ask about something. The room seemed to be really nice but was a bit rough around the edges. It was very cold and even with the radiator turned right up it barely felt remotely warm. The bathroom was even colder with no working radiator and much to my surprise..there was urine and toilet paper in the toilet which was unflushed by whoever graced it before my arrival!

I booked in for dinner at 6.30 and when I arrived at the restaurant there was no body there to great me! It took 15 minutes until a waiter came in late and served me..again I felt in the way. I was only given water with no offer of another drink like wine etc..maybe because of the foreign nature again.

At breakfast I had the buffet which was average, I ordered a cooked breakfast also which never came so I left as I had to go to my interview

All in all not a great place. Seems nice on the outside but needs a better manager!!

• Stayed December 2011