“Fantastic breakfast”

Cotswold Lodge Hotel
Ranked #9 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Earlier this week we stayed in a Hilton. The breakfast at the Cotswold Lodge was far better. I had fruit salad, at least 8 different fruits, and yoghurt. Then I had a full vegetarian breakfast. My husband had eggs benedict, something you have to pay extra for at the Hilton. Everything was cooked to perfection. There was also fresh pastries, cereals, fruit juices and the coffee was really smooth.
The room was dated decoration wise but thoroughly clean and comfortable. The staff were friendly, especially the General Manager.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Viking1910
There are newer reviews for Cotswold Lodge Hotel

Reviewed 15 October 2013

It has been just over 3 weeks since we stayed at The Cotswold Lodge Hotel and I'm still feeling so disappointed with our experience.
After driving past this lovely looking hotel for years, I took the opportunity of booking two rooms for the night of my son's graduation ceremony from university, to enable us to celebrate the evening of this important day in comfort and style.
Sadly neither comfort nor style were to be found in rooms 39 and 41.
The rooms were poorly decorated and very dated. The padded headboards, window drapes and elaborate lampshades were dusty and worn. The net curtains were filthy and torn!. The room was not only old fashioned but tatty dirty and neglected. The carpet and upholstery were both stained and old
Despite the Cotswold lodge having four stars it has no air conditioning, hot stuffy rooms and locked windows. The only way to cool down was to use a small very dirty desk fan which was effective in dispersing the dust around the room but not cooling it down.
The bathroom was in a similar poor state. The shower screen leaked water onto the floor tiles making them dangerously slippy. The lighting was dim, the extractor fan ineffective and no magnifying mirror. This made it difficult for my husband to shave and for me to apply makeup.
During the evening we left our room to seek some comfort in the residents drawing room but it was closed and in use for a private dinner party, the next morning it was closed in preparation for a wedding- is it ever available for residents? The bar was a poor substitute, cold ,empty ,with the aroma of cigarettes drifting in from the smokers area outside.
After a poor night we went into the dining room for breakfast at 9am. There were no tables, we waited in the bar for about 10 minutes and were then shown to a poorly laid table- no cutlery, butter,cups. The breakfast buffet was inadequte. They had obviously run out of most items, no orange juice, , limited selection of cereals, no dried fruit, no fresh fruit,no fresh yoghurt nor pastries. I expect all of these items to be readily available in a reputable hotel, my daughter had a bowl of cereal and a carton of yoghurt, as a vegetarian there were no other choices.
At checkout I made my complaints to the Receptionist who referred me to the Housekeeping Manager.
I took him to room 41 to show him my complaints and he agreed, apologised and admitted that there were some rooms in an even worse condition!!!
Would the owners of The Cotswold Lodge like to justify why my husband was charged £400 for one night, spent in two tatty dirty rooms , and very poor quality breakfast
I would never stay in this hotel again and happily never have to drive past it either.

Room Tip: Stay away from 41 and39 although there may be rooms in a similar/ worse state somewhere in the hotel...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
8  Thank 737Happyfeet
Reviewed 11 October 2013

Stayed here on business. Having visited the web site I was a little sceptical as to what I would find but was pleasantly surprised. The booking had been confused by Intel and although I had a room, breakfast and the overnight allowance were missing. The lady on the desk was very helpful and concerned and agreed it was fine to sort before we left in the morning, which was duly done.
A mixture of old and new I had a room in the annex which was small but very clean, had everything I needed including a comfortable bed.
We ate in the bar served by pleasant staff and the food was very acceptable. I did not have breakfast but my colleague had an excellent kipper whilst I requested just tea in the lounge which was served without a problem.
The only downside was the slow Internet but if you can live without this I would recommend for business or pleasure.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 October 2013

My husband and I have just returned from a 2 night stay at The Cotswold Lodge Hotel. This is a lovely hotel, with free car parking, nice rooms, helpful staff and tasty breakfast. The tiles in the bathroom needed replacing but apart from that the room was spotlessly clean with a very comfortable bed and all the amenities you would need. The staff are very helpful and friendly. I thought the price for the Monday evening was a little expensive at £165 but if in Oxford I'd stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Stayed two nights. Very nice place, clean, pretty spacious rooms for a B&B. Very friendly and helpful staff. Location was perfect, 15 min walk to city center and really great area around B&B with parks, lakes, walking trails, etc. Quaint courtyard where we spent some quiet time enjoying coffee, & wine & cheese.
My only negative and why I put B&B in quotations in the title is the breakfast is actually not included in the room rate, there is an additional charge. There is also an additional charge for afternoon tea. I thought that was pretty cheap. These rooms are very expensive; including breakfast and afternoon tea is the least of what would be expected in this type of lodging.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the top floors. Place is old and floors squeak and crack a lot. I found it rather n...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 September 2013

I stayed here for a few days this month. The hotel is welcoming, warm and comfortable. I found the room to be spotlessly clean, and the quality of the fixtures and fittings to be very good.

The bed was really comfortable, the bathroom was kitted out with good quality soap etc.

I did not have dinner in the hotel, but the breakfast selection was excellent. The staff were friendly and very accomodating.

The other great thing about this hotel is its location, the City centre is approx 10 minutes walk. The walk itself takes you past the beautiful university buildings and around the tiny back streets which makes Oxford so charming.

There are two negative points with this hotel; like other reviewers i found the walls between the rooms to not contain enough sound proofing meaning you can hear a lot of what goes on in the neighbouring rooms. I have found this in a few hotels recently and whilst the noise is there, it did not affect my stay.

The second negative point is the decor, it is tired and old fashioned and this lets the hotel down a little.

That said, I had a fantastic stay and the number of positives really outweighed the couple of negative points above.

Room Tip: If the hotel is quiet, try and get one without any neighbours!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 September 2013

My husband and I held our reception here and had a spectacular day and evening!

The staff, particular our wedding coordinator Esra, couldn't do enough to help us, and were on hand throughout the preparation process and on the day to ensure the day was special and ran smoothly. All the staff were polite and helpful, particularly the reception staff who helped both us and our guests with any and every enquiry with a smile on their face.

The set up of the room was beautiful, and if the empty plates and comments from our guests were anything to go by, the food was delicious. The same goes for the breakfast the morning after - lovely!

Our party was in the bar until very late in the evening/early in the morning and the staff were more than happy to accomodate us. The honeymoon suite (Merton) was beautifully arranged and very very comfortable. I wish I could take that bed home with me!

The only slight downside to the service we recieved was the price of the rooms. Many of our guests ended up staying in other hotels due to the fact that, even with the discount afforded to us for the wedding party, staying at the hotel was incredibly expensive. It's a real shame as the entirety of our wedding party was travelling from out of the area, and all would have loved to stay at the hotel. If the rooms were just slightly cheaper, we'd have sold the place out!

Overall though this is a minor quibble. The Cotswold Lodge was a brilliant wedding venue and the whole wedding party was delighted with the experience. If we ever renew our vows, the Cotswold Lodge will be the first place we call!

Room Tip: A lot of family stayed in the rooms named after colleges, all of which were beautiful. A little extr...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family