“Recommend this hotel”

Ranked #11 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Banbury
“Recommend this hotel”
Reviewed 17 December 2013

We stayed just one night here while we joined a Christmas Party elsewhere in Oxford. Our room was good, clean etc. Heating not on at certain times so rather chilly to take a bath late afternoon but minor detail.
Staff were all very friendly and helpful and breakfast was delicious with de caf tea and coffee in plentiful supply and the toast came on time and again plenty. We were also, first time ever, offered seconds of our cooked breakfast !
Would certainly stay here again as it is very convenient for Oxford City.

Room Tip: We requested a quiet room, as party downstairs, number 61 was just that.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
  • Slovak first
London
Reviewed 20 November 2013

I don't have a bad word to say. Helpful staff, very accommodating, exceptionally good dinner and breakfast. Perfect location for the university and town centre. Very clean and tidy. Would highly recommend this hotel. Lovely.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Sheffield, UK
Reviewed 18 November 2013

This is a hotel on the Banbury road just outside the city centre in Oxford.
The hotel is OK but nothing particularly special.
The central heating in the room was not working on the first night.
The walls of the rooms are very thin and you can hear people walking in the room above, when their TV is on and when their bathroom fan is on.
I had a very mixed experience at breakfast. The first day I was told "sit anywhere" and nobody came to ask me for coffee or toast. I had something from the small range laid out and left without anybody coming to ask me anything. I had coffee in my room. The following day the waitress that greeted me was different and it was clear they offer coffee, toast and a cooked breakfast if desired.
Food in the restaurant for dinner is plentiful and of average quality.
The internet is very slow with an upload speed of 0.6Mb/s and download of 3.9Mb/s.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Earlier this week we stayed in a Hilton. The breakfast at the Cotswold Lodge was far better. I had fruit salad, at least 8 different fruits, and yoghurt. Then I had a full vegetarian breakfast. My husband had eggs benedict, something you have to pay extra for at the Hilton. Everything was cooked to perfection. There was also fresh pastries, cereals, fruit juices and the coffee was really smooth.
The room was dated decoration wise but thoroughly clean and comfortable. The staff were friendly, especially the General Manager.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Viking1910
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 October 2013

It has been just over 3 weeks since we stayed at The Cotswold Lodge Hotel and I'm still feeling so disappointed with our experience.
After driving past this lovely looking hotel for years, I took the opportunity of booking two rooms for the night of my son's graduation ceremony from university, to enable us to celebrate the evening of this important day in comfort and style.
Sadly neither comfort nor style were to be found in rooms 39 and 41.
The rooms were poorly decorated and very dated. The padded headboards, window drapes and elaborate lampshades were dusty and worn. The net curtains were filthy and torn!. The room was not only old fashioned but tatty dirty and neglected. The carpet and upholstery were both stained and old
Despite the Cotswold lodge having four stars it has no air conditioning, hot stuffy rooms and locked windows. The only way to cool down was to use a small very dirty desk fan which was effective in dispersing the dust around the room but not cooling it down.
The bathroom was in a similar poor state. The shower screen leaked water onto the floor tiles making them dangerously slippy. The lighting was dim, the extractor fan ineffective and no magnifying mirror. This made it difficult for my husband to shave and for me to apply makeup.
During the evening we left our room to seek some comfort in the residents drawing room but it was closed and in use for a private dinner party, the next morning it was closed in preparation for a wedding- is it ever available for residents? The bar was a poor substitute, cold ,empty ,with the aroma of cigarettes drifting in from the smokers area outside.
After a poor night we went into the dining room for breakfast at 9am. There were no tables, we waited in the bar for about 10 minutes and were then shown to a poorly laid table- no cutlery, butter,cups. The breakfast buffet was inadequte. They had obviously run out of most items, no orange juice, , limited selection of cereals, no dried fruit, no fresh fruit,no fresh yoghurt nor pastries. I expect all of these items to be readily available in a reputable hotel, my daughter had a bowl of cereal and a carton of yoghurt, as a vegetarian there were no other choices.
At checkout I made my complaints to the Receptionist who referred me to the Housekeeping Manager.
I took him to room 41 to show him my complaints and he agreed, apologised and admitted that there were some rooms in an even worse condition!!!
Would the owners of The Cotswold Lodge like to justify why my husband was charged £400 for one night, spent in two tatty dirty rooms , and very poor quality breakfast
I would never stay in this hotel again and happily never have to drive past it either.

Room Tip: Stay away from 41 and39 although there may be rooms in a similar/ worse state somewhere in the hotel...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
8 Thank 737Happyfeet
Milford on Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 October 2013

Stayed here on business. Having visited the web site I was a little sceptical as to what I would find but was pleasantly surprised. The booking had been confused by Intel and although I had a room, breakfast and the overnight allowance were missing. The lady on the desk was very helpful and concerned and agreed it was fine to sort before we left in the morning, which was duly done.
A mixture of old and new I had a room in the annex which was small but very clean, had everything I needed including a comfortable bed.
We ate in the bar served by pleasant staff and the food was very acceptable. I did not have breakfast but my colleague had an excellent kipper whilst I requested just tea in the lounge which was served without a problem.
The only downside was the slow Internet but if you can live without this I would recommend for business or pleasure.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Warrington
Reviewed 10 October 2013

My husband and I have just returned from a 2 night stay at The Cotswold Lodge Hotel. This is a lovely hotel, with free car parking, nice rooms, helpful staff and tasty breakfast. The tiles in the bathroom needed replacing but apart from that the room was spotlessly clean with a very comfortable bed and all the amenities you would need. The staff are very helpful and friendly. I thought the price for the Monday evening was a little expensive at £165 but if in Oxford I'd stay there again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple