“Very welcoming place”

Cotswold Lodge Hotel
Ranked #9 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Stayed here Easter weekend everyone of the staff made us feel welcome. . The room was in the new part of the hotel and was very clean and welcoming. The bathroom was clean and functional. Breakfast was superb and service was wonderful nothing was a problem.
I was with a wheelchair user and found all the staff more than happy to help. The only disappointment was that the bathroom was very small and not disabled friendly,
I am very happy to recommend this hotel .

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 14 April 2014

I arrive at 7AM by car from a 3 hour drive to go to a meeting in the city. I asked the owner or manager if I could leave my luggage - "No - leave it in the car". I asked to BUY breakfast . He didn't look welcoming. I asked at what time is breakfast - he said " 8 AM if the staff turn up". He said " I can get a breakfast in the city " I left the car there walked into the city and left that day as i could tell it would be miserable experience and I would rather drive another 3 +. I travel a lot and I don't value this degree of rudeness. So they got my cancellation fee, but they got nothing else. So may rating is based on the ugly introduction.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
9  Thank Nigel G
Reviewed 13 April 2014

I have never felt less welcome in a hotel. Staff varied from surly to rude and were always distracted. Room was small, moldy and in need of a good cleaning. Very disappointed given the high price of the room. The location however is good and within walking distance of the city center.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank 796Pauline
Reviewed 31 March 2014

This place looks wonderful from the outside and our room was full of character - in the original part of the building. I think we were pleased we had paid a bit extra for the room. It was huge, comfortable and well appointed.
The only disappointment was the bathroom - it was clean and had everything you needed. But did look tired - cracked floor tiles, dusty cotton buds, toilet made a squeak after a minute of flushing. It didn't spoil our stay but would have been 5 star if the bathroom had been better.
Staff were polite and smiley, except one of the breakfast staff - she was a bit grumpy and hardly smiled at anyone. Breakfast had good choice and was in the restaurant. We also ate at the restaurant one night. Good food and lovely waiter.
It was expensive but then it is comparable to other oxford hotels prices so just suppose it is priced to its market. If they could update the bathrooms I think it would be worth the price a bit more.

Room Tip: Pick one in the original house. Lots of character.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Crane75
Reviewed 16 March 2014

I stayed at the Cotswold Lodge Hotel for a week, and it was probably the best week of my whole life. The hotel is gorgeous. I really appreciated the amenities, including the free bottled water. Such a small detail made a big impression. As beautiful as the setting was, it was the staff that really made it a worthwhile place to stay--especially the night manager ash, who gave impeccable room service recommendations. Next time I'm in the area, I will absolutely stay at Cotswold Lodge Hotel, and I recommend it to anyone visiting the Oxford area.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Alphalo
Reviewed 12 March 2014

I was lucky enough to stay at the Cotswold Lodge Hotel at short notice, firstly the hotel is ideally located close to the center of Oxford and has off road parking. The check-in was easy and friendly enough with choice of dining in either the bar or 66A restaurant, The rooms are named after Oxford colleges, I stayed in Trinity a large comfortable suite, with large bed and use of complementary bath robe and slippers. Both the room and bathroom were clean and tidy although the decor was a little old fashioned which may appeal to overseas travelers giving a traditional feel. The only fault I could find with the room was a cracked pane of glass on the window which overlooked the main road.
I used the 66A restaurant for diner and breakfast, the food was of high quality with good service although I felt the menu choice was a bit limited. All in all a good nights stay in a comfortable bed and would stay again and recommend the Cotswold lodge especially to visitors to the area.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank 21Alizard
Reviewed 11 February 2014

As a business traveller, I've been staying at the Cotswold Lodge on a regular basis for over two years now and I've been really well looked after right from my very first visit. The staff are exceptionally accommodating - nothing is too much trouble for them - and I'm always welcomed with a smile!

I've stayed in several of the feature rooms during this time and simply cannot fault the level of comfort. Little things like the clock radio, the separate hairdryer, the warm robe and slippers, and the cotton buds in the bathroom all make it feel like home. The rooms are always spotless and the large comfortable beds mean you get a great night's sleep. The nice selection of complimentary teas/coffees/biscuits is also very welcome.

The front room's very cosy when the fire is lit and it's a lovely place to read or work. The extensive breakfast menu means you're spoilt for choice and you definitely won't leave hungry. Evening meals, whether a la carte or bar snacks, are also of the highest quality.

As well as all of the above, being just a short walk from the centre, the hotel's in a fantastic location. The car park is another bonus.

All in all, I can't rate this elegant hotel, the manager and its staff highly enough. It quite simply feels like home from home!

Room Tip: Try a feature room
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business