“Convenient and clean but not so 'budget' and no free Wifi!”

Premier Inn Oxford Hotel
Ranked #9 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Orpington
“Convenient and clean but not so 'budget' and no free Wifi!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2011

One of a large chain of motels in the UK. Advertised as budget, but actually a lot more expensive than the from £29 per night advertised by British Comedian Lenny Henry. The room was rather noisy since the window had to be left open at night as there was no cooling system, only heating. On the positive side the room was clean and the bed comfortable. At the Beafeater restaurant for dinner, the staff were friendly and there was a good varied menu. The motel is an ideal night stop when travelling a a convenient base for visiting/friends relatives in the local hospitals. Once again, to get on my hobby horse, I was angry with the charge for Wifi. It costs very little to both provide the technology and maintenance for Wifi. THis is notheing compared to the goodwill it would foster. The management have not got into the 21st century yet. My wife and I visited 23 hotels in Canada during a trip last year and in only one of them was there a charge for WiFi.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2011

Friendly staff, clean room, comfortable bed, nice breakfast :)

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
Berkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2011

This is my first experience of a Premier Inn and to be honest I only booked it because the city centre hotels were so expensive.

The hotel was very clean and the reception staff were very friendly. The bedroom and bathroom were also spotlessly clean.

Breakfast was at the beefeater next door which we pre booked and the food was fresh, hot and plentiful.

Free on site parking is a bonus and a taxi to the city centre costs about £7. I would definitely stay here again rather than paying over the odds for a city hotel.

• Stayed July 2011
1 Thank M68
Fife, Scotland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2011

As always; clean basic facilities, friendly helpful staff. My particular room was starting to show signs of looking well used. The location is opposite the modern BMW Mini factory on a busy main road, so its not a quiet location for a non business type stay. Room prices seem to vary wildly and my £82 a night inc breakfast seemed rather high. But the price of £12 for 24 hrs of internet access at this location is disgracfull in this day & age, it should be free. Needless to say, I went without internet.
Resturant good, breakfast excellent.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
Leeds, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2011

I stayed here with my family for one night for my sisters graduation in May this year. The room was supposed to be a twin, however the 'twin' room that we were allocated had a double bed and then a small single bed which on further inspection was more like a camp bed!
We had a drink in the bar area, which is nice and had a friendly feeling to it. The breakfast was good too, plenty of choice even with the continental option - nothing to complain about there.
However my day was ruined by a faulty hairdryer which burnt a big chunk of my hair off after using it for literally 5 seconds - beware of the hairdryers!! I usually take my own but I decided not to on this occasion..won't make that mistake again. I did notify the reception when we checked out but they did nothing to try and placate me...they just said 'oh dear' or words to that effect. Great customer service.. My hair is now growing back and as a result I have an horribly unattractive 'tuft' on the top of my head. Thanks Premier Inn!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Lilo_Heaven
Truro, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2011

we had an excellent stay with a surprisingly good evenning meal, with very good value wine less than£10 a bottle. I would stay there again

Room Tip: my room and my families were fine, they were all double glazed and seemed fine.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Birmingham England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2011

When we arrived we were checked in quick enough we were asked if we wanted to book evening meal or breakfast. No mention of the money back good night satisfaction guarantee though? Probably something to do with the fact the hotel is on the main road and right next to the motorway which is raised?

Our room was upto the usual Premier Inn standard. The bed was comfortable plenty of pillows and clean. The bathroom plenty of clean towels and the soap dispensers were full which makes a change! The only let down with the room was it was too hot and the plug in fan was not enough so the only option was to open the window. Its one of those situations swelter with the windows shut to block the noise or be cool and then cant sleep because of the noise!!!

We didnt use the Restaurant as it was closed when we arrived.

We walked from Oxford Train Station to the hotel which took nearly 2 hours although we didnt walk quick and stopped in the city centre to look at things. We then brought a day bus ticket for the number 5 red bus which was £3.70 and lasts for 24 hours from the time of purchase. The number 5 runs every few minutes upto midnight and even has a good service on a Sunday. The hotel is about a ten minute walk from the number 5 bus stop which is by the Original Swan Pub.

If you can get a cheap room its definately worth looking at although the hotel is out of town. Plenty of parking. If your doing a one nighter concert at the 02 or The Regal and you dont need or want to be in the city centre this hotel is fine.

Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple