“Nice stay”

Ranked #38 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Nice stay”
Reviewed 21 August 2012

Can't understand the negative reviews for this hotel, if your looking for a 4 or 5 star hotel, book one. We had booked a one night stay, got a lovely welcome, staff were great, the room was clean with tea and coffee making facilities and complimentary biscuits, en-suite was clean. Breakfast had everything cold and hot, full english breakfast was superb. Taxi's were ordered free of charge and arrived quickly.
I would definitely use this hotel again.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank B0b15

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Gloucester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2012

had a very enjoyable stay in oxford ,hotel was very clean ,well situated ,and reasonably priced,all the staff were friendly and the innkeeper had a extremely good sence of humour ! would definetly stay here again

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2012

My mum and I stayed in a twin room which was comfortable and well cleaned by the maid each day. The atmosphere was friendly and relaxed. There was a good choice of cooked and uncooked items for breakfast and the food was delicious. We also liked the calm classical music playing while we ate. This was the second time we had stayed here in two years.

Room Tip: I have stayed in the past in a family room for four. This was in a separate building and quite spaci...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 22 July 2012

My sister and I stayed at this hotel in December 2010 - mistaaaaake! There was mould in the room kettles and in the bathrooms. Also, an elderly lady who worked at the counter was consistently rude to both of us - she accused my sister of attempting to 'make a sauna' in the bathroom when the fact was that the bathroom fan didn't work and the entire room steamed up from a short shower. She also failed to recognise us as guests multiple times, saying ' why are you in here?' and rang my sister at 11 pm because she 'hadn't seen her come in on the camera'. First of all, ringing a guest at that hour is inappropriate. And secondly, why were staff keeping tabs on us via camera? All in all, a very negative experience. Don't. Go. There.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
5 Thank Jess C

Travellers are raving about these Oxford hotels

Billericay, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2012

The Victoria is a Bed & Breakfast and not a hotel. Think of it like that and I feel it is acceptable. It is in need of refurbishment -and there is a notice apologising that it has started - and it is fairly dark. Our room was comfortable but had no shower, only a bath which was just about adequate for my size. On the plus side the staff we met were very friendly and helpful - particularly the receptionist who gave very detailed information on what Oxford had to offer.Breakfast was fine. I suppose the great advantage of the Victoria is its location and free car parking.. It is certainly within walking distance of the Town centre.

Room Tip: Make sure your room has a shower ?
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 5 July 2012 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel last night and it will certainly be the last time I ever stay here!!!

The decor is such a mess than you leave reception with a blinding headache! I counted 9 different, gloomy, horrible patterns all over the reception area, so I knew it didn't bode well for my room....

When I got into my room, I was pleasantly surprised, that whilst it was still an assault of all the different patterns, the room was light and bright and recently decorated.

However.... The tea tray that had cups, kettle, tea n coffee etc, was sticky and dirty, so the rim of the cups were stuck to the tray. When I lifted them off, I found that they were dirty all inside the cup too!!

The glass shelf in the bathroom above the sink needs a good scrubbing.... As the dirt has built up in the corners....

To add insult to injury, I went out side for a cig at midnight, when I tried to get back in the latch had been put down on the other side of the door, making it impossible to get in... I called reception 3 times before constantly ringing the front door bell, to get someone's attention. When I finally did get someone to help me (the owner I presume) he was the most rude arrogant, hotelier I've ever met!!

When I finally got to bed, it was lumpy, I could feel the springs digging into me throughout the night.....

Honestly, if I were you and this was your only choice of hotel, then I would sleep in the car and set fire to the £93 it cost to stay here for some extra warmth!!!

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank Mattchew26
Reviewed 24 June 2012

I read the reviews before going to this hotel. Reputation is not good. But I Think if it's a normal b and b, I can still accept. But the situation is really worse. I think no traveller want to leave bad comments except it's really terrible
Location: you can walk to downtown on sunny day. On rainy day, sorry
Price: you can find a better b and b in downtown. I regret after I walk around Oxford
Room: quite cold there carpet is dirty and shower room is a small square of 4 sq feet. Wait for long time for hot water
Service: the owner doesn't allow any person to eat wash on the room. The owner is impolite and rude, like others say.
The check out time is 10:30. All rules are Not reasonable
I feel uncomfortable and dangerous to stay there and leave early

• Stayed June 2012