“No complaints”
Review of The Victoria Hotel

The Victoria Hotel
Ranked #38 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Reviewed 2 January 2013

I stayed here on New Years Eve with my partner. If all you are looking for is somewhere to lay your head for the night or even a couple of days then this is the place. The decor isn't the best, lots of patterns and ornaments, but then some people might like that. The receptionist was polite and friendly. Our room was as expected from the photo gallery of the hotel, it was slightly dusty, but the bed was clean and very comfortable. When we went down to breakfast we were met by a very pleasant gentleman and classical music. There was plenty of cereal, fruit juices, fresh fruit salad, conserves, muffins, waffles, tea and coffee. We opted for the full english breakfast and have absolutely no complaints, everything was all freshly cooked and by the time the toast got to our table it was still hot, lovely. If I was staying overnight again in Oxford I would definately choose to stay here again

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 30 December 2012

Staff was friendly, accomodating and helpful. The room and bathroom was clean although it was worn and faded. The TV is small and Breakfast is available only at 8am and I would have wanted it earlier. The English breakfast was good I think.

Reception is not available 24hrs. The lobby door will be locked but they will give you a key.
If you need anything from the reception, ask it before they leave for the day.

The accomodation is a good 20 minute walk to the city centre. There is a bus stop nearby but buses are full in the morning. It is too far a walk from the bus station and the train station. One has to either take the bus or a cab to the hotel. There are no commercial establishments nearby although there is a convenience store several blocks away.

I would recommend accomodations with similar standards and price at the city centre, and even if it is a little more expensive, I would still still recommend staying at the city centre.

Room Tip: There are no elevators. Ask for a room on the ground floor or a room near the stairs.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank camilletravelbug
Reviewed 18 November 2012

I would never stay here again! Friend and I had booked two single rooms for one night. Obviously, it's just a two star so was just expecting a bit faded and worn but clean. Clean it most certainly was not! The kettle had dirt encrusted on lid and the tea tray was stained. The wash basin was dirty, as was the toilet. There was evidence of previous occupants crumbs on bedside table. As for the sheets! Seemingly washed but with a few old stains plus two holes/tears! Torn sheet!!?? My friend's sheets had holes too and dirty tea equipment! I am amazed by the last reviews as they comment on how clean their rooms were! I do have a photo of kettle but will upload later.

Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Maggie809
Reviewed 21 August 2012

Can't understand the negative reviews for this hotel, if your looking for a 4 or 5 star hotel, book one. We had booked a one night stay, got a lovely welcome, staff were great, the room was clean with tea and coffee making facilities and complimentary biscuits, en-suite was clean. Breakfast had everything cold and hot, full english breakfast was superb. Taxi's were ordered free of charge and arrived quickly.
I would definitely use this hotel again.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank B0b15
Reviewed 20 August 2012

had a very enjoyable stay in oxford ,hotel was very clean ,well situated ,and reasonably priced,all the staff were friendly and the innkeeper had a extremely good sence of humour ! would definetly stay here again

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 August 2012

My mum and I stayed in a twin room which was comfortable and well cleaned by the maid each day. The atmosphere was friendly and relaxed. There was a good choice of cooked and uncooked items for breakfast and the food was delicious. We also liked the calm classical music playing while we ate. This was the second time we had stayed here in two years.

Room Tip: I have stayed in the past in a family room for four. This was in a separate building and quite spaci...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 July 2012

My sister and I stayed at this hotel in December 2010 - mistaaaaake! There was mould in the room kettles and in the bathrooms. Also, an elderly lady who worked at the counter was consistently rude to both of us - she accused my sister of attempting to 'make a sauna' in the bathroom when the fact was that the bathroom fan didn't work and the entire room steamed up from a short shower. She also failed to recognise us as guests multiple times, saying ' why are you in here?' and rang my sister at 11 pm because she 'hadn't seen her come in on the camera'. First of all, ringing a guest at that hour is inappropriate. And secondly, why were staff keeping tabs on us via camera? All in all, a very negative experience. Don't. Go. There.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends