“Ok... Thats about it..”

Basically average.

Plus points:
Comfy bed
Breakfast was nice
Waiter at breakfast was friendly

Minus points:
Bathroom small in bedroom
Reception staff could have been more friendly/welcoming.

Overall 6.5/10

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 4 November 2010

This was booked as the last part of a ten day tour of the country and as a surprise for me by my partner. What a shock he got upon arrival. Having looked at glowing reviews from other websites only to get there and find hotel in desperate need of refurbishment and staff in need of manners. Having since found the recent reviews on this website the comment made by another that they will counter-act negative feedback with positive ones appears to have an element of truth considering they all have pretty much the same key words in them.

Upon entering the car park the hotel appears ok for the two star rating it allegedly has with the AA (check the AA website it appears nowhere that I can find). You then go into the reception area and it is dark, dank and quite depressing. We should've turned around and walked away when the young lady on reception told us that not only was smoking not allowed in your room but also no washing lines???! We also wished we had kept our mouth shut as they only had us booked in for one night not two.

We went up to our room and again upon entering the theme didn't change, unclean and in need of refreshing the decor considering it did not look like it had been decorated since the no smoking ban had come in and had that lovely smokey unclean feeling. There was damp throughout the room and when going into the bathroom, the toilet seat was broken at the hinge, with black mould around the sealant in the shower and other persons pubic hair on the mat to surround the toilet which was rolled up on the cistern. The 'white' towels were greying in colour and fraying and the shower mat appears to have not been cleaned for a considerable amount of time.

We sat on the bed propped against the pillows as the chairs in the room appeared to only fit someone who is size zero, only to find a materess that felt like a plank of wood. There were wires around a metre long hanging from the wall for the television and other electrics which I would think in todays age are a serious cause for concern. The television reception was poor and as I could see my partner was clearly disappointed we decided to take a 10 minute walk to decide whether we dared stay or just head home two days earlier than planned.

We decided on the later and commenced placing our bags in the car, only to be met by who I believe to be the manageress demanding the room key back and that we go into the room with her to see what we had done to the room. I was shocked and appalled by the rude and ignorant manner the lady continued to talk to me in. Not alot makes my blood boil but she really did. She initially demanded that we pay for the two nights we had booked but when I stated I would only pay the cancellation fee she started throwing room rates around like they were going out of fashion, all varying between £70 and £89.
When we got into our room she told me I was rude for insulting her home, which I had not yet had the chance to say anything about. She acussed us of using the bed, having only been there for around an hour even I couldn't have slept on the bed. I then had a chance to show her my concerns and explain that a basic level of cleanliness would be ok only to be told that the mould was only on the sealant, to which I suggested she replace it.

We were then frog marched downstairs and then back up again. She tried to take the old packet of biscuits which had been left on the hall windowsill away and as I pointed out to her the layer of dust on said still, I also had the opportunity to show her the recent rodent faeces there aswell. To which I was told not to be so stupid as they cannot get inside. So again I was marched downstairs and not wanting to leave giving them free rein to pick a price they wished to charge us whilst not there, I stayed in order to make a payment.
The lady proceeded to tell me I was the first person to complain which I challenged having found this site on my phone whilst there. I was then told I had the right to complain, so I asked to speak to the manager to which she told me she did not know who the manager was, only to be told afterwards he was not there and eventually got a name off her which I suspect is false. She then continued to blame me for the way things were and that there was nothing wrong before being highly ignorant and ignoring anything I tried to say in response.

Having paid £89 (£5 higher than the double on their website) just to 'get out of jail' I felt relieved to be getting away from what very nearly ruined our break. Had we not had such a good time at the other hotels and B&Bs, which were charging a lesser price and 100 times better accomodation and service by far compaired to this place, our break would've been spoilt.

All in all had the room been priced at the rate it should've been and the cleanliness improved a little it could've been a place to sleep and spend the majority of time away from the hotel. I would advise you to avoid the place at all costs if you want to relax and spend a few pounds extra to get yourself into better accomodation.

The sad thing is this place only helps in giving a bad name to hotels and B&Bs but fortunately most that care can clearly be seen from the instant you walk in.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 October 2010

Can't believe some of the reviews I've just read! Our stay at the Victoria was very pleasant. Infact I had one of the best nights sleep I've had in a long time. The linen was fresh and clean, the room tidy and welcoming. The gentleman who aided us at breakfast time was polite and helpful. For a 2 star hotel we were treated very well. Location wise it was perfect for us, just a 15 minute walk into Oxford. Our trip was made with 2 teenagers who were delighted to discover The Crooked Pot pub a few doors down where they could play pool and we could have a curry and a pint!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 September 2010

The Victoria Hotel, two star, (but merits a one) lacks style, personality, warmth, a decent décor and enough hot water to cater for two individuals who wish to take separate showers.

We were in Oxford on the 18th September to see and hear Stephen Fry talk about his second book at the New Theatre Oxford. It had been a splendid evening so we went to our hotel in high spirits, full of good will and intention. Unfortunately our mattress in room 22 wasn't in the same mood and was highly disagreeable. It was the most uncomfortable my boyfriend and I have ever experienced. I slept poorly, he, poor darling, not at all. The next morning when he mustered sufficient will power to stumble across the room and open the drab curtains, I exclaimed in half surprise: Oh look it's raining outside!
No, he replied dryly . it's condensation.

This I could handle, I am an adaptable soul. I am not fussy, I do not expect grandeur in a two star hotel but I do expect running hot water. After relaxing in a hot tub, boyfriend pulled the plug. It was my turn and I preferred taking a fast shower. I waited for five minutes but the water was cold. It was clear the tank or boiler or whatever it was had finished its quota. This made me lose my cool-excuse the pun. I was fuming.

I refused to be stoic. We paid good money after all and our room was damp, the mattress hard, the room cramped with a double bed, a single and a depressing 70s style sofa and now this! No hot water! Unbelievable.

We complained to the manager, who saw fit not to apologize and insisted I had not let the tap run long enough. At which point it was futile to argue any longer. Admittedly on our return I did succeed in having a warm shower but only because the manager had taken on board another guest's complaint that there was no running water left in her room! We overheard because they were sitting at the table directly behind us. Ha!

No, no, no... If at least the manager had apologized I would not be writing this negative review but he deserves it.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 July 2010

I only stayed one night for a friends wedding and thank God that was it. When one spends £90 for a double room, they expect that at least the bathroom is clean. No such luck. I opted out and waited until I got home the next day. The decor of the room was horrific and falling apart. I was worried that the TV satellite (which was hanging from the curtain rail) was going to fall on me and the kettle was missing from the room. Now, I've stayed in my fair share of youth hostels, in a variety of counties, and they've all been cleaner and better value for their money than this hotel.

The staff was generally nice and helpful. Unfortunately, it was difficult to communicate at times because their English was not particularly good. In an industry where communication is everything, it's important to be fluent and coherent in your spoken language (especially the language predominantly spoken in that specific country).

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 31 July 2010

We stayed at the hotel for one night over a weekend as base for a wedding 3 miles down the road. For £88 a night we were hoping for a lot more, but the hotel is out dated and generally poor in quality. This should really be advertised as a B&B, but it would still be the worst B&B we have stayed in

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 July 2010

We booked through the Oxford Information Centre and had we not already paid the booking fee we would not have stayed. We should have been even more suspicious when they asked us to pay in advance for our three days when we booked in. The room when we arrived had potato chips on the floor which stayed there for the length of our stay. The bath room had mould in the corners under the shower - other things that you notice like grubby marks on the light switch and dust and grime on the lid of the kettle. Our bed was comfortable and clean though. It was very noisy also and you could hear people coming and going and in their bathrooms etc. This is the first negative report we have written but it represented very poor value for money and we could not recommend people to stay here.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple