“Decent place for a coffee”
Review of Java Social Restaurant - CLOSED

Java Social Restaurant
Price range: US$6 - US$16
Cuisines: Delicatessen, British
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Casual Dining for every time of day, Breakfast , Lunch, Afternoon Tea.Salad Bar, Soups, Sandwiches, Baguettes, Ice cream sundaes, Artisan French Desserts
London
“Decent place for a coffee”
Reviewed 2 September 2013

We recently visited Oxford for a theatre play and this cafe had a 10% discount for theatre card holders, so why not give it a try. I was really looking forward for a cake as I had a sugar rush attack and we had already left a couple places because they didn't have cakes.

Several drink options, but unfortunately not a lot of choices for cake here; more for pastry (croissant, napolitan, pan au chocolat...), muffins, cookies... just what you would expect. We went for a couple of berry cheesecake slices, a large latte and a regular vanilla latte. The cake was very nice, but just as I have had it in many other places. I really didn't see the reason why the regular vanilla latte was more expensive than the large latte; I didn't even tasted any vanilla, just some sweet syrup?

We went directly upstairs.There were some studenty pictures hanging on the walls, some nicer than others, your typical old looking square tables with chairs -our table was wobbly. Some students, some girls chatting, families, couples, a guy writing, a professor looking guy sipping a coffee... just what you can expect to see in a coffee place in a touristic university town. Very tired toiletts.

One can see that it's not the typical chain, but it didn't feel like a place with its own personality either. Nothing wrong and nothing that really catched our eyes, just a decent place to have a relaxed coffee. If living locally I wouldn't mind making it a frequent stop or meeting point with friends, but it does feel studenty. Perfect for theatre goers due to its location.

BUT, if my vanilla latte was done properly then I definitely would advise not to waste money on it as it doesn't worth the extra cost.

• Visited August 2013
Andrew B, Owner at Java Social Restaurant, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Thanks for taking the time to give us a review, we are almost opposite the Theatre so indeed make a great place to stop off before going there

Basildon, United Kingdom
“Lots of Students”
Reviewed 30 March 2013

Its is an awful thing to say but a coffee bar offering quality experience needs to sort out its identity. I have no issue withh it offering an "experience" for foreign students, but at least have staff that one can communicate with.
"Service" was breathtakingly slow. The Nutella flavoured chocolate was no more than ok and the rich looking chocolate cake was sadly, as manty of that ilk are, quite dry and really not that exciting!
Walking in it promised a lot with its menu etc sadly its promise wasnt fullfilled for me

• Visited March 2013
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Great coffee and Great Space”
Reviewed 26 December 2012

Staff are friendly and the food and drink is excellent. A great place to get a coffee with a few friends with a wonderful space up stairs there was an exhibition upstairs when i visited. I much prefer it to the expensive chains that are often all over cities.

Visited December 2012
2 Thank Samir K
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Basic coffee, but great wifi!”
Reviewed 9 October 2012

If you are looking for a large, quiet, open space to have a coffee and connect to friends back home, then visit Java and make sure that you go upstairs. The downstairs is cramped and difficult to manage and the wifi is slow. The upstairs is wide open with lots of big tables and chairs and a strong wifi connection. There are several desktops available to whoever needs them with a small charge to connect to the internet, so you don't even need your own laptop or tablet to be connected.

Visited September 2012
3 Thank HarperMKE
Reading, United Kingdom
“Don't bother”
Reviewed 13 September 2012

I've now visited this coffee shop/cafe twice, with the coffee from the second time sitting on my desk whilst I write this review. There are so many coffee shops in Oxford but this one is conveniently on my walk back to my office.

After seeing this independent shop open, replacing another national chain store I was quite excited to try out their coffee, hoping to get something a little more tasty or interesting than your standard Costa, Starbucks, etc.

The experience was rather average the first time, interior seemed pretty much the same as under its old name but with new branding. My first coffee was just 'o.k.', but the second one was just plain awful. After my first visit I went for a regular sized cappuccino but then decided it was too big. Next time I went for a small which was a lot more like the regular size I'm used to elsewhere. The small was also the same price as a regular at an AMT for example.

The second coffee is where my short lived relationship with Java & co ends I'm afraid. The lady who served me took my order and went off to make a fresh espresso into my cup. Then took the cup of espresso and walked over to some milk frothing jugs that were just left by the sink as if they were waiting to be washed. They hadn't moved the entire time I was at the counter. She took one of them and poured some rather thin looking milk out (no froth) and then stopped. Then she took another jug and started to scrape out froth from the bottom of it. She didn't even hold the jug up over the cup, it was literally being picked out with a spoon then shaken off into my cup. It took her a few attempts to cover the top of the milky coffee, and then she smoothed it over with the back of a spoon and brought it over to me.

I'm sorry I took the coffee in the end but I'm not a barrista, and only recall watching what others do when making cappuccinos.

I put my sugar in and took the coffee back to the office. By the time I got back (less than 5 minutes) I removed the lid and the froth was all gone. Now looking more like a latte, I tasted the coffee and it was just like overheated boiled milk that leaves a sticky coating in your mouth. Its going straight down the sink.

• Visited September 2012