“Decently decent”

Java Social Restaurant
Price range: US$6 - US$16
Cuisines: Delicatessen, British
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Casual Dining for every time of day, Breakfast , Lunch, Afternoon Tea.Salad Bar, Soups, Sandwiches, Baguettes, Ice cream sundaes, Artisan French Desserts
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Decently decent”
Reviewed 27 January 2014 via mobile

I had stopped in here once before for a take away chai tea latte and blueberry muffin. It was a brief stop, but the staff was friendly. The chai was decent, but not great. I'm picky with my chai, though -- most places make it overly sweet and not nearly spicy enough, so a mediocre chai by my standards would probably pass as good for those who like sweet chai. The muffin was decent as well. Good, but nothing to write home about. All in all it was a decent stop.

Today I was looking for an Internet café where I could do a bit of studying (we Americans do like our funky cafés for studying). I had since read the reviews here and was pretty leery of stopping by to eat in, but there are frustratingly few good Internet cafés nearby with enough room to actually get studying done. So I decided to give Java&Co a shot. And it was...decent, again. Contrary to others' reviews, the staff were all very friendly and pleasant and the spacious upstairs area is a HUGE plus. As I'm writing this review using the wifi here, I can report that upstairs, at least, the wifi works well (though it seems as though I might only get 60 minutes of use?). As for the food... Decent. I had a slice of carrot cake that might have actually been good if it had not been so stale. The part of the already-cut slice that was against the plate was soft and moist, but the exposed part was so stale that it was crunchy. Yes, crunchy. I would suggest that they not cut the cake until a slice is ordered, or at least use some sort of covering over the cut slices to prevent them from getting stale. I had a hot chocolate as well (I avoid coffee like the plague while I'm in the UK -- sorry, Brits just don't know how to make good coffee) and it was actually quite good. It might have been just a touch on the rich side due to some excess chocolate syrup discovered in the bottom if my mug, but overall, pretty good.

So here's the run down:
Good service
Good wifi
Good atmosphere (nice background music, art on the walls, slightly funky, yet modern feel)
Extra points for lots of seating
Pretty good hot chocolate
Decent/mediocre chai
Stale cake

So all in all, Java&co gets 3 stars with an extra 1/2 star for the spacious seating area: 3.5 stars.

Andrew B, Owner at Java Social Restaurant, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Thanks for your detailed review, as an independent in the centre of Oxford we believe we do a great job too!

“Expected better”
Reviewed 4 November 2013 via mobile

Came here for a baguette and a croissant, costs more if you eat in for some reason, so in total cost me nearly £8 free wifi was nonexistent, staff unhappy and speaking in a different language at times so you don't know what they are saying, sat down at a table, and they called me to get my food, you'd expect they would bring it to the table if you pay more to eat in, they used brown bread for my baguette never asked if I had a preference, but the food was the only thing that was ok.

Andrew B, Owner at Java Social Restaurant, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
Thanks for taking the time to review, and for your kind comments on our food. We make and bake everything in store so it's as fresh as can be. The reason we have different take away or eat in prices is that VAT is not chargeable on some take away items.
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Brilliant”
Reviewed 13 September 2013

I love eating at Java because its such an enjoyable place to buy a coffee sit down and eat! it is only a few cm away from the odeon so i can relax at Java while i waited for the wolverine, love the food and the staff are polite and charismatic! They are also a charitable place so i know that the owners are truely nice people as they give 100% of donations away! its my regular stop for Oxford

• Visited July 2013
London, United Kingdom
“perfect place for morning coffee”
Reviewed 11 September 2013

I had really good flat white coffee there early in the morning and tasty chicken avocado sandwich made to my specification by the lovely staff. Visit there definitely made my morning.

• Visited September 2013
London
“Decent place for a coffee”
Reviewed 2 September 2013

We recently visited Oxford for a theatre play and this cafe had a 10% discount for theatre card holders, so why not give it a try. I was really looking forward for a cake as I had a sugar rush attack and we had already left a couple places because they didn't have cakes.

Several drink options, but unfortunately not a lot of choices for cake here; more for pastry (croissant, napolitan, pan au chocolat...), muffins, cookies... just what you would expect. We went for a couple of berry cheesecake slices, a large latte and a regular vanilla latte. The cake was very nice, but just as I have had it in many other places. I really didn't see the reason why the regular vanilla latte was more expensive than the large latte; I didn't even tasted any vanilla, just some sweet syrup?

We went directly upstairs.There were some studenty pictures hanging on the walls, some nicer than others, your typical old looking square tables with chairs -our table was wobbly. Some students, some girls chatting, families, couples, a guy writing, a professor looking guy sipping a coffee... just what you can expect to see in a coffee place in a touristic university town. Very tired toiletts.

One can see that it's not the typical chain, but it didn't feel like a place with its own personality either. Nothing wrong and nothing that really catched our eyes, just a decent place to have a relaxed coffee. If living locally I wouldn't mind making it a frequent stop or meeting point with friends, but it does feel studenty. Perfect for theatre goers due to its location.

BUT, if my vanilla latte was done properly then I definitely would advise not to waste money on it as it doesn't worth the extra cost.

• Visited August 2013
Andrew B, Owner at Java Social Restaurant, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Thanks for taking the time to give us a review, we are almost opposite the Theatre so indeed make a great place to stop off before going there