“Worst milkshake ever, and a rip-off”
Review of Java Social Restaurant - CLOSED

Java Social Restaurant
Price range: US$6 - US$16
Cuisines: Delicatessen, British
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Casual Dining for every time of day, Breakfast , Lunch, Afternoon Tea.Salad Bar, Soups, Sandwiches, Baguettes, Ice cream sundaes, Artisan French Desserts
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Problem with me is I can be too polite. Bought three milkshakes yesterday: the Daim and Crunchy ones simply tasted of iced milk and the Toblerone was chocolate slush. Truly awful, and at £4.20 each a massive rip-off. I wish I had said something and requested my money back, as no one should receive such an awful product.

A mark for friendly service, but that's it, although I cannot comment on the coffee etc, Do not waste your hard-earned money in here!

Andrew B, Owner at Java Social Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

I'm sorry you didn't like our Milkshakes as we sell thousands of them every year to happy customers.
They are made using fresh ingredients and are a traditional milkshake rather than a McDonalds style thick icecream.
We guarantee all our products unconditionally, so it's a shame you didn't mention it at the time and we would have happily refunded or replaced.
You mention a Toblerone milkshake however, and as we don't even sell this, it would have been difficult to refund that one!

Reviewed 26 March 2014

I like to pop in for a cappuccino and muffin on my way to Cornmarket. Friendly staff and good service.

1  Thank Oxfordmartyn
Andrew B, Owner at Java Social Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

Thank you for you feedback , its always great when people appreciate what we do

Reviewed 9 March 2014

We sometimes use this coffee shop as it is convenient for the theatre. However the decor and seating are only average, and the staff can be slow allowing queues to form. Seating is basic, and newspapers variable.

However, I was in the queue yesterday, when a member of staff opened 2 paper bags and with bare hands, removed a gingerbread man from one bag and a slice of cake from the other. She then proceeded to place them back in the cabinet for sale!! She even positioned them to the front, so that they would be sold first.
I was absolutely appalled that she did this when tongs were available next to the bags. To do this in full view of customers indicated to me that she thought it ok to handle food in this way.
I don't know why the cakes were in bags anyway. Were they returns??

Will definitely not be visiting this place again.

1  Thank Paulletta B
Reviewed 27 January 2014 via mobile

I had stopped in here once before for a take away chai tea latte and blueberry muffin. It was a brief stop, but the staff was friendly. The chai was decent, but not great. I'm picky with my chai, though -- most places make it overly sweet and not nearly spicy enough, so a mediocre chai by my standards would probably pass as good for those who like sweet chai. The muffin was decent as well. Good, but nothing to write home about. All in all it was a decent stop.

Today I was looking for an Internet café where I could do a bit of studying (we Americans do like our funky cafés for studying). I had since read the reviews here and was pretty leery of stopping by to eat in, but there are frustratingly few good Internet cafés nearby with enough room to actually get studying done. So I decided to give Java&Co a shot. And it was...decent, again. Contrary to others' reviews, the staff were all very friendly and pleasant and the spacious upstairs area is a HUGE plus. As I'm writing this review using the wifi here, I can report that upstairs, at least, the wifi works well (though it seems as though I might only get 60 minutes of use?). As for the food... Decent. I had a slice of carrot cake that might have actually been good if it had not been so stale. The part of the already-cut slice that was against the plate was soft and moist, but the exposed part was so stale that it was crunchy. Yes, crunchy. I would suggest that they not cut the cake until a slice is ordered, or at least use some sort of covering over the cut slices to prevent them from getting stale. I had a hot chocolate as well (I avoid coffee like the plague while I'm in the UK -- sorry, Brits just don't know how to make good coffee) and it was actually quite good. It might have been just a touch on the rich side due to some excess chocolate syrup discovered in the bottom if my mug, but overall, pretty good.

So here's the run down:
Good service
Good wifi
Good atmosphere (nice background music, art on the walls, slightly funky, yet modern feel)
Extra points for lots of seating
Pretty good hot chocolate
Decent/mediocre chai
Stale cake

So all in all, Java&co gets 3 stars with an extra 1/2 star for the spacious seating area: 3.5 stars.

Thanks for your detailed review, as an independent in the centre of Oxford we believe we do a great job too!

Reviewed 4 November 2013 via mobile

Came here for a baguette and a croissant, costs more if you eat in for some reason, so in total cost me nearly £8 free wifi was nonexistent, staff unhappy and speaking in a different language at times so you don't know what they are saying, sat down at a table, and they called me to get my food, you'd expect they would bring it to the table if you pay more to eat in, they used brown bread for my baguette never asked if I had a preference, but the food was the only thing that was ok.

Andrew B, Owner at Java Social Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2013

Thanks for taking the time to review, and for your kind comments on our food. We make and bake everything in store so it's as fresh as can be. The reason we have different take away or eat in prices is that VAT is not chargeable on some take away items.