“Off-hand and disappointing, but surprisingly it is worth a visit”
Review of Cherwell Boathouse

Cherwell Boathouse
Book In Advance
More Info
US$217.85*
and up
Private Chauffeured Punting Tour on the River...
Reviewed 18 November 2013

The boathouse is a bit far-off the centre of Oxford and it takes a while to get there.
Once there, the boathouse complex is pretty disappointing (maybe the restaurant is worth the visit but we didn't try it).
The really good thing about this attraction is the walk from the centre of Oxford to the boathouse by the river and the university gardens! The walk is a great glimpse of college sports life and a nice way to escape the beaten track attractions of oxford.

1  Thank Francisco_OM
in 2 reviews
"ducks"
in 2 reviews

Reviewed 3 September 2013

Even though I had the hardest time getting used to "punting", it was actually quite fun for our family of 5. The Cherwell Boathouse is a charming little place with what looks to be a cozy restaurant overlooking the banks of the river. While we didn't eat there, we did get some snacks and a few drinks (Pimms!) after punting enjoying a lovely summer day on the river. My teenage son was much better at punting and went out with his sister for another turn down the river and back. I have to admit that I was not keen to do this activity at first but am very glad we did it.

1  Thank raoul t
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Located 15-20 minutes by foot from Oxford city centre (or just 5-minutes if you're staying at the Parklands B &B), the Cherwell Boathouse is a perfect spot for punting away from the masses. We arrived on a Tuesday evening in July intending to hire a chauffeur. We were told they would need a few days notice to accommodate such a request -- but, Grant quickly suggested that we could easily punt the Cherwell by ourselves, even though we were novices. We were game and gathered our gear. Grant provided instruction from the dock as we set off...having another boat stop while we left...and gave us excellent punting tips until we were well on our way. What fun! We punted for about 30-minutes to the Victoria Arms pub, where we celebrated our successful arrival (without running aground or ramming into any trees or boats) with a cold pint. We made it back to the boathouse without incident --- but with plenty of fun punting memories. Thanks, Grant, for the terrific guidance (and giving us 'another string in our bow'). Our evening punt from Cherwell Boathouse definitely was a highlight of our trip to Oxford. Well worth it!

2  Thank Traveller08Florida
Reviewed 3 June 2013

A fun trip down the river in a punt. We arrived early but i would think at busy times there would be queues. Peaceful and beautiful on the river, observing wildlife at close quarters.

1  Thank Penny C
See more reviews
Reviewed 25 February 2013

My partner and I dined recently as a late Valentine's supper and although the overall standard in food was very good there were a few things that irritated me! But let's start with the positives. I had the ham, mozzarella and clementine salad to start which was a great little combination of flavours and came with a generous helping of mozzarella, much to my delight. My partner had the layered smoked fish, which was good but not particularly special. I was sorely disappointed to discover the much of the menu I had looked at online was not available, as I had mentally ordered the sea bass and saffron rice, but settled instead for the brill which came with crushed crab and potatoes and a (rather delightful) tapenade. My main was nice but in all honesty I don't think it was worth just under £19. My partner had the beef, which was also around the £19 mark, and his dish really was worth every penny - the meat was beautifully cooked and I suffered from real food envy watching him eat it!

We skipped pudding and opted to share some cheese and here's where my second gripe comes in!! I ordered several varieties of cheese, one of which was the famous Oxford Blue, but rather than tell me they had run out I was presented with a rather meagre lump of Stilton. I pointed this out to our waitress but no effort was made to rectify the error (though she did confirm that it was indeed Stilton rather than Oxford Blue) and the cheese was left on the bill. This is the second time I have ordered cheese at the Cherwell and it's the second time they have tried to fob me off with the wrong one! I find that unacceptable but perhaps it wouldn't irritate someone else as much as it does me.

Overall the meal was perfectly good but I think for the most part it's over-priced, I would like to be able to order from the menu they have up on their website, and they don't know or care as much as I do about cheese! Frankly there are plenty of better options in Oxford.

1  Thank DoctorMukti