“The best place in Oxford”

Vanbrugh House Hotel
Ranked #4 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Lisbon, Portugal
“The best place in Oxford”
Reviewed 28 July 2013

After I booked the Malmaison I found out about this boutique hotel in Oxford. I tried to make a reservation but it was already fully booked. A couple of days before our arrival I checked out with the hotel and they had a room available!! I cancelled my booking on Malmaison and booked the Vanbrugh!! It was amazing! Little boutique hotel with a fantastic and helpful staff working! Loved it! We took the Junior Suite for 1 night (the only available at that time) and a standart room for the 2nd night. At the end they upgraded us with the 2 nights at the Junior Suite!! If you are visiting Oxford this is the hotel to stay! In the heart of Oxford!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Vanbrugh House H, General Manager at Vanbrugh House Hotel, responded to this review, 30 July 2013
Dear Justo R,

What a pleasure It is to read your 5 star review. I am so glad that we were able to accommodate you and provide you with a complimentary upgrade. Your positive comments are a great reward for the team at Vanbrugh House.

we look forward to welcoming you again soon.

David Robinson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
Hong Kong
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Based on some of the reviews I was skeptical when i initially booked the hotel, but was pleasantly surprised and thoroughly enjoyed our 2 night stay in late July. Stayed in Room 26 which was was quite large, well appointed and very comfortable including a sofa, reading chair and lots of space to move about. Although the bathroom was a bit small it was very well presented. We slept well although it was a warm evening and felt no necessity for airconditioning.

The reception is comfortable, the decor is fun and tasteful and the staff is very friendly and accommodating. When we came in late one night the doorman quickly responded and opened the door and welcomed us back. The hotel also kindly kept our bags locked up while we toured around Oxford during the day. I would definitely recommend the hotel, would return to stay there in the future and believe some of the earlier negative comments are quite harsh given the hotel is only 8 months old and in the early days the staff may have been working out some bugs.

Very pleased we stayed at the Vanbrugh House Hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Vanbrugh House H, General Manager at Vanbrugh House Hotel, responded to this review, 29 July 2013
Dear ViceChick,

Thank you for your 5 star review. It is great to hear you thoroughly enjoyed your time spent at Vanbrugh House. Your positive feedback will be passed on to all members of the team.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the future!

toronto
Reviewed 26 July 2013

Stayed for one night in #20, a single. Comfortable bed, fine room, nice finishes, beautiful bathroom. Very quiet. No space to spread out luggage in the room. I probably paid more than I should have (£109), especially considering the lack of adequate ventilation in summer (one ineffective fan; I realize that air conditioning would not be possible here, but other alternatives are easy enough to procure; e.g a better and larger fan, or even two).

Services of reception staff were somewhat lacking in attentiveness. They did not notify me that checkout time was eleven until I went down to ask at ten-forty, so I had no time to shower. One of the girls was rather unprofessional, and sat seemingly pouting in an armchair as I spoke with the other. I had to remind them of my name and room number repeatedly within minutes.

Restaurant was totally empty, which I was happy with as I was working while eating alone. Waitress was lovely. Food came slow and was probably overpriced, but the burger was really good.

Would stay again–but only if I were able to expense it, as the price did not justify the small single room with one ineffective fan, beautiful bathroom and quietness aside.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank adam z
Vanbrugh House H, General Manager at Vanbrugh House Hotel, responded to this review, 28 July 2013
Dear Adam z,

Thank you for your review your comments are greatly appreciated. I do apologise that your experience in reception was not to the standard intended. We do take pride in our customer service at Vanbrugh House and the issue has been addressed.
Due to the hotel being a historic listed property, your comment on air conditioning is correct. However, we sincerely do try to keep our guests as comfortable as possible in this uncharacteristic British heat.

It pleases me that the food and the service in the restaurant was of a high standard and your feedback will be passed on accordingly.

Yours sincerely

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2013

The Vanbrugh was a delight and we thoroughly enjoyed our one night's stay there. We were in a superior double room, which was a really generous size and had a spacious separate shower room (with rain shower - ace!). All modern and clean, not to mention really quiet which was surprising given its fantastic location smack in the middle of Oxford.

We didn't eat in the restaurant but the breakfast was really good. Between us we had the full English and the veggie option, both perfectly cooked and, importantly, not in the slightest bit greasy.

Watch out for the £5 room service delivery charge. I could understand if it was just at night say after 10pm, but it seemed a little steep during the day and put us off when we wanted to order two drinks while we were getting ready to go out for the evening. Also, there was a hairdryer but it was especially weak. If like me you have unruly hair, perhaps bring your own.

Overall - brilliantly located boutique hotel, stylish, spacious rooms and a seriously comfy king sized bed. Go for it.

1 Thank Kirsten H
Vanbrugh House H, General Manager at Vanbrugh House Hotel, responded to this review, 26 July 2013
Dear Kirstenjh,

Thank you for your review. I am pleased that your time spent at Vanbrugh house was an enjoyable one. Our location is most definitely an asset and is ideal for those wanting to see Oxford and its historic surroundings.
In regards to the room service charge, this is stated on your welcome letter but I do sincerely apologise if you were not made aware of this at the time. This has been addressed.

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. It is only with our guests feedback that we can exceed customer expectations all of the time.

Taunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2013

A very nice friendly hotel, I agree with other reviews on the lack of air conditioning, but we visited in a very hot English summer, and how often do we get one of these ? But with the windows open and the fan on we were ok. We had a room at the back of the hotel so it was quiet, but I guess rooms on the street side might be a bit noisy as St Michael street has some great bars and restaurants. Th location is perfect for walking, shopping and sightseeing in Oxford

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Stephen J,

Thank you so much for your review. Your comments on the air conditioning are greatly appreciated as we are trying all things possible to keep the temperature down in the bedrooms.
Its good to hear you made the most of our location. We are very lucky to have the centre of Oxford right on our doorstep!

Thank you for taking the time to write, we hope to welcome you at Vanbrugh House again soon.

General Manager.
Cambridge
Reviewed 18 July 2013

this hotel charged me 177 pounds per night (no breakfast included) but doesn't even have an ac or any way to cool down the room. when i got back at midnight he room was at midnight the thermostat in the room showed a temperature of at 84 Fahrenheit (29 degrees celsius) even though the outside temperature was a pleasant 69 Fahrenheit (21 degrees). this was in room 11. i called the front desk and they told me there is no ac to cool down the room. that's ridiculous for this price point. they do not say on their website that they don't have AC. it's really lame.

Room Tip: never pick room 11 if there is a chance that it will be a hot day. not clear to me that the problem...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
7 Thank frequenttravelor415
Vanbrugh House H, General Manager at Vanbrugh House Hotel, responded to this review, 23 July 2013
Dear frequenttravelor415,

Thank you very much for taking the time to record your comments following your recent stay at the hotel. I am really sorry that you were affected by the temperature in your room. Due to the fact that Vanbrugh House is housed in two listed buildings we were not allowed by the planning authority, to install air conditioning. We do however have individual fans in each room, which coupled with natural ventilation has improved the temperature levels in our bedrooms. A number of rooms benefit from their own gardens, which along with the terrace area adjacent to the Brasserie does mean guests can enjoy meals and drinks in a tranquil setting.

Thank you again for your comments and we do hope that you will return to Vanbrugh House.

Helmond, The Netherlands
Reviewed 17 July 2013

Vanbrugh house is a very nice hotel at an excellent location in the centre of Oxford. We stayed here for 4 nights in a superior room. The service was very good. Breakfast was very good as well.
Our room was a bit small and the bathroom was too small really. This was not what you would expect from a superior room. Also the price was too high for such a room.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Vanbrugh House H, General Manager at Vanbrugh House Hotel, responded to this review, 27 July 2013
Dear Hans_10,

Thank you for your comments. It is only with our guests feedback that we can strive to exceed our customers expectations. Its disappointing to hear you thought the price point was too high as we do aim to provide value for money for all our guests.
On a positive note I am pleased to hear that you received the standard of service which is intended.
Thank you again and we hope to welcome you at Vanbrugh House again soon.