Vanbrugh House Hotel
Agoda.com
US$166
US$161
Official Site
Premier Inn Oxford Hotel(Oxford)(Great Value!)
US$109
PremierInn.com
Travelodge Oxford Peartree Hotel(Oxford)(Great Value!)
US$45
Travelodge
All reviewsvicarage suitewhite company toiletriesprivate gardencomplimentary mini barlewis carrollboutique hotelrainfall showerreal milkquiet side streetlisted buildingfudgeafternoon teafresh milkgreat central locationcentral oxfordbreakfast was includedgeorge street
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 7 December 2013

I ordered afternoon tea for two via groupon and it was worth every penny I did not spend. Just because I paid half price, it didn't mean I got half price. The service was as good as those paying full price and the food was amazing. The restaurant was downstairs and the atmosphere was perfect. It's a shame it's in a location where it's not easily seen from the main streets but I definitely recommend for afternoon tea. Thank you very much

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Vanbrugh House H, General Manager at Vanbrugh House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 December 2013

Dear Anna E,

Thank you for great feedback regarding your recent visit to Vanbrugh House. The tradition of afternoon tea is something we take pride in at the hotel. Offering a selection of homemade scones and jam, finger sandwiches, and inspiring loose teas, this is popular with residents and non residents alike.

We look forward to welcoming you again at Vanbrugh House again soon.

General manager

Reviewed 4 December 2013

My husband and I visited the restaurant here for High Tea on 3 December. We were absolutely charmed with the friendliness and warmth of the lady at the Reception Desk, Mehrnaz, and the competence and charm of the waitress, Maria, who took our order. Above all, the tea was simply delicious. The sandwiches were carefully and deliciously prepared, the prosecco lovely, and the
tempting "sweeties" disappeared within 20 minutes. It is the ambience, above all, that makes this tiny place so cozy and welcoming. We certainly intend to visit and enjoy its High Tea offerings again!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Vanbrugh House H, General Manager at Vanbrugh House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2013

Dear MariainesOxford,

Further to our emailed correspondence, I would once again like to thank your for comments on your recent visit to Vanbrugh House. It really pleases me that you were greeted with warmth and friendliness which is just so important. I am glad the quality of the afternoon tea and the service was to the high standard intended and that the ambience of our intimate dining room was just to your liking.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed 1 December 2013

Thank you Vanbrugh House Hotel.

I booked this hotel as a surprise for my husband's birthday so wanted it to be special, which it truly was. Near the station and perfectly situated right in the middle of the city, making exploring really easy.

I missed out on the Vicarage Suite by about 3 seconds on the day I booked, which sounded beautiful, so ended up reserving the Sir John Vanbrugh Suite which was a great second choice. Cosy and Tasteful.

On arrival we received a very warm welcome from the lovely Reception ladies who remained friendly and attentive for our whole visit, bringing a complimentary drink to our room when we returned cold and tired after sightseeing.

I agree with other reviews in respect that the dining room was small, but personally I found that quite cosy. I felt like I was a house guest in a posh house. Once again the staff were charming and professional and the food excellent.

Every detail of our stay was perfect.

Thank you once again.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the hotel may be noisy I guess, but we were on the ground floor and I really didn't hear too much noise at all.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Vanbrugh House H, General Manager at Vanbrugh House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2013

Dear Sue R,

Thank you so much for your 5 star review. I will be passing your kind words on to the team immediately. It really pleases me that all aspects of the hotel were to your satisfaction and hopefully next time you visit The Vicarage Suite will be available !

We look forward to welcoming you at Vanbrugh House again soon.

Reviewed 27 November 2013

We stayed one night recently in November in their premier "Vicarage Suite".

The room was fantastic - and I mean really good and the bathroom was fabulous. Two baths facing each other meant you can chat, read the papers and watch TV all at the same time. A joy to spend time in.

The staff all appreared to be lovely young ladies - eager to ensure your stay is good. It was just truly such a nice experience.

Take care though you know what you are buying. The restaurant is tiny - and I mean really really really tiny and the evening meal menu looked to be unremarkable. To be fair to the hotel I dont think they claim their restaurant to be anything more than a simple place to eat an ordinary meal. It was fine for breakfast - but you would be dissapointed if you had dinner there.

For us it was not an issue because there are so many restaurants within a 2 minute walk anyway - the hotel were happy to advise on where to go.

The other thing the hotel doesnt have is a nice large cosy lounge to sit and talk to other guests over drink...oh yes almost forgot.... it doesnt have a bar either. It has a small room where you check in...and I have no doubt they would get a drink for you....but there are no commin areas to relax in.

So in summary there are some elements missing from this hotel - but to be fair to them they dont claim to be anything more than a small boutique hotel in the very heart of the beautiful city of Oxford.

One thing made us smile when we were shown to our room by a quite charming young lady was when she said the contents of the minibar was complimentary. This was a bonus I thought, and I started to decdie if I should have a G&T or a glass of wine before we went out for the evening. I need not have worried. The minibar contained a packet of crisps two bottle of water, two cokes and some milk. I suspect it may be an in joke in the hotel. No matter - but we did laugh.

If I was picky I would say the bathroom was cold and a request to turn the heat up didnt appear to have any effect. We warmed it up by running every hot tap there was (and there are a lot).

Would we stay there again?

Oh yes definately.

It was quite charming - but more like a set of rooms than a conventional hotel.

Room Tip: Choose the Vicarage suite - but ask for a heater for the bathroom
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Vanbrugh House H, General Manager at Vanbrugh House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2013

Dear Travellingman2014,

Thank you so much for your 5 star review. I am pleased you had the opportunity to relax and unwind in The Vicarage suite. As you mentioned, the bathroom is a wonder in itself !
I can assure you that our restaurant, albeit intimate, does produce fantastic freshly cooked dishes that are very popular with residents and non residents alike. You would not be disappointed!

Reviewed 25 November 2013

My wife and I stayed here on a short trip to celebrate our anniversary. It's a stylish hotel, right in the centre of Oxford. On arrival we were very impressed by the friendliness of the welcome - can't fault the very professional reception team at all. Other reviewers are right that the reception desk arrangement in the lounge is a little odd but who cares?
We went for a Superior Double room in the grey wood style as they call it. Ours (#17, the Trellis Room) was a great size, comfortable and had the perfect shower (very important). The complimentary mini bar with proper milk (no uht thank you) was a nice touch.
The only downside was that the sound-proofing between the rooms is poor. The noisy drunk Scottish bloke's shouting in the corridor at 2am can't be helped (not the hotel's fault) but I could have done without listening to him stomping around his room and going for a wee! But the quality queen size bed was very comfortable so I very quickly got back to sleep.
We didn't have dinner in the hotel, but had breakfast. If you're like me and would rather sit in a quiet corner at breakfast time until several cups of tea have woken you up, then perhaps best do your breakfasting elsewhere. The restaurant is very small so when it's busy (as it was when we stayed) it is noisy and cramped. That said, the breakfast itself was lovely, and once again the staff were helpful.
It's a great, smart hotel, especially for the price. I would definitely stay here again, but might make sure I have an extra glass of wine or two before bed to ensure I sleep through any noisy neighbours.

Room Tip: Room on the top floor might be less noisy

Dear teaSnob79,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to Vanbrugh House. It pleases me that on your arrival you were greeted with friendliness and professionalism by the reception team, it is important that our guests feel welcome the moment they set foot through the door.
I am glad your room and its features were to your liking. The Trellis Room is contemporary, spacious and very popular, and is often a request from our returning visitors
I must apologise however if your night was disrupted by another guest. We are very conscious of noise being kept to a minimum throughout the night.

We look forward to welcoming you on your return visit.