“The best hotel in Oxford”

Vanbrugh House Hotel
Ranked #4 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Ruvo Di Puglia, Italy
“The best hotel in Oxford”
Reviewed 10 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed for one night and this was honestly the most sumptuous, relaxing stay I've had in Oxford - we usually stay at the Randolph but they never got back to us having left a message. We Could have stayed in the hotel all day! We stayed in a suite "vicarage" - stunning bedroom and in particular bathroom, two free standing baths, comfy beds, and so quiet at night. My only grumble was they never checked the fresh milk in the fridge which had gone off - a silly mortifying mistake. However everything else was wonderful. Decided to have breakfast in our room - that too was one of my English breakfast - scrambled eggs excellent consistency and superb sausages. Am definitely staying here in future - doesn't have the stuffiness slight worn out look of the Randolph. It's beautifully refurbished and really tasteful.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Vanbrugh House H, General Manager at Vanbrugh House Hotel, responded to this review, 11 December 2013
Dear Susmita C,

Thank you so much for posting your 5 star review. It is great to hear that you had the chance to enjoy The Vicarage Suite and all its splendour. I feel you made the right choice in choosing to take breakfast in your room, room service to this suite just adds to the experience!
I do sincerely apologise about the milk in your fridge, this is something we check daily without fail but it seems we let you down on this occasion.

I am so glad you chose to stay at Vanbrugh House and we most certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

David Robinson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 December 2013

My wife and I went for cream tea on a Sunday (8/12) afternoon around 4pm.

Sited just opposite the entrance to the Oxford Union it is centrally located in Oxford.

The girl looking after us was lovely; considerate and friendly with a beautiful smile.

The dining area is a lovely downstairs cosy affair which is clean and well decorated.

The food and drink were both lovely.

The experience was excellent and it is easy to recommend it to you.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank dysonsphere
Vanbrugh House H, General Manager at Vanbrugh House Hotel, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Dear dysonsphere,

Thank you so much for your 5 star review. It really pleases me that our restaurant was to your liking and your cream tea was received to the high standard intended. I am so glad that you would recommend us to others. Thank you for your custom.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed 8 December 2013

My partner and I booked one night for celebrating his birthday. Everything was perfect: location is great, in the middle of the city; staff was lovely (special mention to Eva, who was extremely kind and helped us a lot providing us with information about what to do in Oxford); room was amazing (shower was great and so it was the quality of the bed linen, towels, etc.) and breakfast, included in the rate, was delicious. It was Continental buffet but you could also ask for whatever you wanted from the hot menu, and everything of high quality! The extra mile was achieved when, after informing both during the reservation and upon arrival that we were there for my boyfriend's birthday, when we came back from sightseeing the first day we had a bottle of champagne waiting for us.

We are really looking forward to having another excuse for going to Oxford and, of course, to sleep in there!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Enric R,

Thank you for your 5 star review. I am so glad that your birthday celebrations were a success and the complimentary fizz was to your liking. It is so important to the team that all aspects of your stay were of the highest standard, from the bed linen to the service, it is all in the detail! I will be passing your comments on to all departments.

Thank you for choosing Vanbrugh House and we look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed 7 December 2013

I ordered afternoon tea for two via groupon and it was worth every penny I did not spend. Just because I paid half price, it didn't mean I got half price. The service was as good as those paying full price and the food was amazing. The restaurant was downstairs and the atmosphere was perfect. It's a shame it's in a location where it's not easily seen from the main streets but I definitely recommend for afternoon tea. Thank you very much

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Vanbrugh House H, General Manager at Vanbrugh House Hotel, responded to this review, 8 December 2013
Dear Anna E,

Thank you for great feedback regarding your recent visit to Vanbrugh House. The tradition of afternoon tea is something we take pride in at the hotel. Offering a selection of homemade scones and jam, finger sandwiches, and inspiring loose teas, this is popular with residents and non residents alike.

We look forward to welcoming you again at Vanbrugh House again soon.

Oxford
Reviewed 4 December 2013

My husband and I visited the restaurant here for High Tea on 3 December. We were absolutely charmed with the friendliness and warmth of the lady at the Reception Desk, Mehrnaz, and the competence and charm of the waitress, Maria, who took our order. Above all, the tea was simply delicious. The sandwiches were carefully and deliciously prepared, the prosecco lovely, and the
tempting "sweeties" disappeared within 20 minutes. It is the ambience, above all, that makes this tiny place so cozy and welcoming. We certainly intend to visit and enjoy its High Tea offerings again!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Vanbrugh House H, General Manager at Vanbrugh House Hotel, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
Dear MariainesOxford,

Further to our emailed correspondence, I would once again like to thank your for comments on your recent visit to Vanbrugh House. It really pleases me that you were greeted with warmth and friendliness which is just so important. I am glad the quality of the afternoon tea and the service was to the high standard intended and that the ambience of our intimate dining room was just to your liking.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Bracknell, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Thank you Vanbrugh House Hotel.

I booked this hotel as a surprise for my husband's birthday so wanted it to be special, which it truly was. Near the station and perfectly situated right in the middle of the city, making exploring really easy.

I missed out on the Vicarage Suite by about 3 seconds on the day I booked, which sounded beautiful, so ended up reserving the Sir John Vanbrugh Suite which was a great second choice. Cosy and Tasteful.

On arrival we received a very warm welcome from the lovely Reception ladies who remained friendly and attentive for our whole visit, bringing a complimentary drink to our room when we returned cold and tired after sightseeing.

I agree with other reviews in respect that the dining room was small, but personally I found that quite cosy. I felt like I was a house guest in a posh house. Once again the staff were charming and professional and the food excellent.

Every detail of our stay was perfect.

Thank you once again.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the hotel may be noisy I guess, but we were on the ground floor and I really d...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Vanbrugh House H, General Manager at Vanbrugh House Hotel, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
Dear Sue R,

Thank you so much for your 5 star review. I will be passing your kind words on to the team immediately. It really pleases me that all aspects of the hotel were to your satisfaction and hopefully next time you visit The Vicarage Suite will be available !

We look forward to welcoming you at Vanbrugh House again soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 November 2013

We stayed one night recently in November in their premier "Vicarage Suite".

The room was fantastic - and I mean really good and the bathroom was fabulous. Two baths facing each other meant you can chat, read the papers and watch TV all at the same time. A joy to spend time in.

The staff all appreared to be lovely young ladies - eager to ensure your stay is good. It was just truly such a nice experience.

Take care though you know what you are buying. The restaurant is tiny - and I mean really really really tiny and the evening meal menu looked to be unremarkable. To be fair to the hotel I dont think they claim their restaurant to be anything more than a simple place to eat an ordinary meal. It was fine for breakfast - but you would be dissapointed if you had dinner there.

For us it was not an issue because there are so many restaurants within a 2 minute walk anyway - the hotel were happy to advise on where to go.

The other thing the hotel doesnt have is a nice large cosy lounge to sit and talk to other guests over drink...oh yes almost forgot.... it doesnt have a bar either. It has a small room where you check in...and I have no doubt they would get a drink for you....but there are no commin areas to relax in.

So in summary there are some elements missing from this hotel - but to be fair to them they dont claim to be anything more than a small boutique hotel in the very heart of the beautiful city of Oxford.

One thing made us smile when we were shown to our room by a quite charming young lady was when she said the contents of the minibar was complimentary. This was a bonus I thought, and I started to decdie if I should have a G&T or a glass of wine before we went out for the evening. I need not have worried. The minibar contained a packet of crisps two bottle of water, two cokes and some milk. I suspect it may be an in joke in the hotel. No matter - but we did laugh.

If I was picky I would say the bathroom was cold and a request to turn the heat up didnt appear to have any effect. We warmed it up by running every hot tap there was (and there are a lot).

Would we stay there again?

Oh yes definately.

It was quite charming - but more like a set of rooms than a conventional hotel.

Room Tip: Choose the Vicarage suite - but ask for a heater for the bathroom
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Vanbrugh House H, General Manager at Vanbrugh House Hotel, responded to this review, 29 November 2013
Dear Travellingman2014,

Thank you so much for your 5 star review. I am pleased you had the opportunity to relax and unwind in The Vicarage suite. As you mentioned, the bathroom is a wonder in itself !
I can assure you that our restaurant, albeit intimate, does produce fantastic freshly cooked dishes that are very popular with residents and non residents alike. You would not be disappointed!