“Nicely appointed- We loved our short stay”

Vanbrugh House Hotel
Ranked #4 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
London, United Kingdom
“Nicely appointed- We loved our short stay”
Reviewed 17 December 2013

Ideal central location and genuine friendly welcome. Nicely appointed and comfortable room.
(The bathroom in "vicarage suite" was huge...2 baths- no less- and TV). Tasty and tasteful breakfast. We loved our short stay. Recommended. Merci Vanbrugh ! Elodie & Nicos (France)

Room Tip: rooms at back of the hotel are best
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Vanbrugh House H, General Manager at Vanbrugh House Hotel, responded to this review, 18 December 2013
Dear RogerPembroke,

Thank you for your 5 star review. I am really pleased that you were greeted on arrival with a very warm welcome, I feel that this is such an important way to begin our guests stay. Our location is most definitely an asset to the hotel, as is the luxurious Vicarage Suite, and I am glad these factors made your visit even more enjoyable.

We hope to see you at Vanbrugh House again soon.

David Robinson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
Chester-le-Street, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 December 2013

Travelled with my daughter having interviews to get into Oxford University next year - hotel was beautiful - excellent central location - room was fabulous - little touches meant a lot - the umbrella to use in case of rain - the luxury bath products - the complimentary mini bar - hope my daughter gets into uni so it does not have to be me my last stay !!!

Room Tip: Stayed in a standard room = nothing standard about it - worth every penny.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Vanbrugh House H, General Manager at Vanbrugh House Hotel, responded to this review, 15 December 2013
Dear JULES19632013,

Thank you so much for posting your 5 star review. I am really pleased that the hotel and its special little touches were to your liking. I do wish your daughter the very best of luck in getting into her chosen university, so we can welcome you all back to Vanbrugh House hotel.

Yorkshire, UK
Reviewed 14 December 2013

I took my partner here for a champagne afternoon tea for a special occasion as I had seen it recommended as being one of the best in Oxford.
We were greeted on arrival by very friendly and helpful staff in the reception area who showed us to the tea room. However I was rather disappointed when shown to a tiny, modernly decorated basement room when I was expecting some grand opulence with 'quintessentially English', traditional 18th century charm, which are a few of the words used in the description on the website.
Despite this initial disappointment in the surroundings, we did find the staff very friendly and attentive.
The food itself was nice but at best 'average'. The cake selection was not to our taste, there was a miniature mince pie, which was 95% pastry, a slice of tea loaf which neither of us could eat as it was so dry, a tiny piece of fudge which wasn't even a 'delicate mouthful' and a creme custard pot. I couldn't eat the custard as it contains raw egg (I am pregnant) so was offered an alternative, but was disappointed to be brought just another of the tiny mince pies.
The Scones with clotted cream and Jam were very nice and the sandwiches nice, yet average as I say.
Overall I would say we were a little disappointed.

1 Thank Foxchops
Dear Charlybobs,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am really disappointed to hear that you found the afternoon tea 'average', this is most certainly not our intention. We take this service at Vanbrugh House very seriously and I do hope that you can see from the reviews prior, and also from the recommendation you were given, that average is not a response we are used to. I feel that we may have let you down on this occasion and for that I do apologise.
On a more positive note I am pleased that you found the staff friendly and helpful.

Ruvo Di Puglia, Italy
Reviewed 10 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed for one night and this was honestly the most sumptuous, relaxing stay I've had in Oxford - we usually stay at the Randolph but they never got back to us having left a message. We Could have stayed in the hotel all day! We stayed in a suite "vicarage" - stunning bedroom and in particular bathroom, two free standing baths, comfy beds, and so quiet at night. My only grumble was they never checked the fresh milk in the fridge which had gone off - a silly mortifying mistake. However everything else was wonderful. Decided to have breakfast in our room - that too was one of my English breakfast - scrambled eggs excellent consistency and superb sausages. Am definitely staying here in future - doesn't have the stuffiness slight worn out look of the Randolph. It's beautifully refurbished and really tasteful.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Vanbrugh House H, General Manager at Vanbrugh House Hotel, responded to this review, 11 December 2013
Dear Susmita C,

Thank you so much for posting your 5 star review. It is great to hear that you had the chance to enjoy The Vicarage Suite and all its splendour. I feel you made the right choice in choosing to take breakfast in your room, room service to this suite just adds to the experience!
I do sincerely apologise about the milk in your fridge, this is something we check daily without fail but it seems we let you down on this occasion.

I am so glad you chose to stay at Vanbrugh House and we most certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 December 2013

My wife and I went for cream tea on a Sunday (8/12) afternoon around 4pm.

Sited just opposite the entrance to the Oxford Union it is centrally located in Oxford.

The girl looking after us was lovely; considerate and friendly with a beautiful smile.

The dining area is a lovely downstairs cosy affair which is clean and well decorated.

The food and drink were both lovely.

The experience was excellent and it is easy to recommend it to you.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank dysonsphere
Vanbrugh House H, General Manager at Vanbrugh House Hotel, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Dear dysonsphere,

Thank you so much for your 5 star review. It really pleases me that our restaurant was to your liking and your cream tea was received to the high standard intended. I am so glad that you would recommend us to others. Thank you for your custom.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed 8 December 2013

My partner and I booked one night for celebrating his birthday. Everything was perfect: location is great, in the middle of the city; staff was lovely (special mention to Eva, who was extremely kind and helped us a lot providing us with information about what to do in Oxford); room was amazing (shower was great and so it was the quality of the bed linen, towels, etc.) and breakfast, included in the rate, was delicious. It was Continental buffet but you could also ask for whatever you wanted from the hot menu, and everything of high quality! The extra mile was achieved when, after informing both during the reservation and upon arrival that we were there for my boyfriend's birthday, when we came back from sightseeing the first day we had a bottle of champagne waiting for us.

We are really looking forward to having another excuse for going to Oxford and, of course, to sleep in there!

Dear Enric R,

Thank you for your 5 star review. I am so glad that your birthday celebrations were a success and the complimentary fizz was to your liking. It is so important to the team that all aspects of your stay were of the highest standard, from the bed linen to the service, it is all in the detail! I will be passing your comments on to all departments.

Thank you for choosing Vanbrugh House and we look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed 7 December 2013

I ordered afternoon tea for two via groupon and it was worth every penny I did not spend. Just because I paid half price, it didn't mean I got half price. The service was as good as those paying full price and the food was amazing. The restaurant was downstairs and the atmosphere was perfect. It's a shame it's in a location where it's not easily seen from the main streets but I definitely recommend for afternoon tea. Thank you very much

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Vanbrugh House H, General Manager at Vanbrugh House Hotel, responded to this review, 8 December 2013
Dear Anna E,

Thank you for great feedback regarding your recent visit to Vanbrugh House. The tradition of afternoon tea is something we take pride in at the hotel. Offering a selection of homemade scones and jam, finger sandwiches, and inspiring loose teas, this is popular with residents and non residents alike.

We look forward to welcoming you again at Vanbrugh House again soon.