“Afternoon Tea”

Ranked #4 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Afternoon Tea”
Reviewed 22 December 2013

We would like to say we were very disappointed with our afternoon tea. We booked this as a treat prior to Christmas. We were sat squashed in a hot and stuffy basement room.

Sandwiches average, fruit cake dry, scones ok. Agree entirely with the other review. Poor service, definitely not worth the money and will not recommend.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank MrandMrsB99
Vanbrugh House H, General Manager at Vanbrugh House Hotel, responded to this review, 23 December 2013
Dear MrandMrsB99,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your afternoon tea with us. I do hope you expressed your views whilst here so that we could address them. It is just so important to the team at Vanbrugh House that our guests leave happy and it is so disappointing to hear the contrary.
Thank you for your feedback as it is only with our guests comments, good or bad, that we can exceed customer expectations all of the time.
I do hope that you will return to Vanbrugh House so that we can restore your faith in us. If you would like to discuss your experience further please contact me at gm@vanbrughhousehotel.co.uk.

David Robinson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
Rugby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 December 2013

This small boutique Hotel offers excellent, well appointed rooms and staff that are only too willing to help. Accomodation on a number of floors, with many steps, this is not recommended for those with walking difficulties. If your looking for a central local, this is for you. Note no carparking at the hotel but plenty within walking distant, but be advised £26.40 for a 24 hour period ! I had the full English breakfast which was excellent, perfect poached eggs. Enjoy

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Vanbrugh House H, General Manager at Vanbrugh House Hotel, responded to this review, 22 December 2013
Dear Steven W,

Thank you for posting your review. I am really pleased that the hotel and its location were to your liking, and the staff only too willing to help.
In regards to parking, another more affordable option is the use of the park and rides. Overnight parking is for as little as £2.00, and with a regular bus service into the city centre this is a very popular choice amongst our guests.

We look forward to welcoming you again at Vanbrugh House.

Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 December 2013

We stayed here the weekend of 14th December and was impressed with the professionalism of the staff who always greeted you with a smile and were happy to talk to you. The hotel is situated about 200 yards from the main high street so for shoppers ideal. Despite its close proximity to the centre the hotel is remarkably quiet to stay in. We had the 3 course set meal on the Saturday night which was great value and the breakfasts were excellent. The hotel is a tad on the expensive side but other than that, I would recommend this hotel and happily stay there again.

• Stayed December 2013
Dear Johnno 1964,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your 5 star review. I am really pleased that you enjoyed your meals in the restaurant and I will most certainly be passing your compliments on to the chef. The professionalism of the staff is also a comment that I will never tire of hearing!

We look forward to welcoming you again at Vanbrugh House again soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 December 2013

Ideal central location and genuine friendly welcome. Nicely appointed and comfortable room.
(The bathroom in "vicarage suite" was huge...2 baths- no less- and TV). Tasty and tasteful breakfast. We loved our short stay. Recommended. Merci Vanbrugh ! Elodie & Nicos (France)

Room Tip: rooms at back of the hotel are best
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Vanbrugh House H, General Manager at Vanbrugh House Hotel, responded to this review, 18 December 2013
Dear RogerPembroke,

Thank you for your 5 star review. I am really pleased that you were greeted on arrival with a very warm welcome, I feel that this is such an important way to begin our guests stay. Our location is most definitely an asset to the hotel, as is the luxurious Vicarage Suite, and I am glad these factors made your visit even more enjoyable.

We hope to see you at Vanbrugh House again soon.

Chester-le-Street, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 December 2013

Travelled with my daughter having interviews to get into Oxford University next year - hotel was beautiful - excellent central location - room was fabulous - little touches meant a lot - the umbrella to use in case of rain - the luxury bath products - the complimentary mini bar - hope my daughter gets into uni so it does not have to be me my last stay !!!

Room Tip: Stayed in a standard room = nothing standard about it - worth every penny.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Vanbrugh House H, General Manager at Vanbrugh House Hotel, responded to this review, 15 December 2013
Dear JULES19632013,

Thank you so much for posting your 5 star review. I am really pleased that the hotel and its special little touches were to your liking. I do wish your daughter the very best of luck in getting into her chosen university, so we can welcome you all back to Vanbrugh House hotel.

General manager
Yorkshire, UK
Reviewed 14 December 2013

I took my partner here for a champagne afternoon tea for a special occasion as I had seen it recommended as being one of the best in Oxford.
We were greeted on arrival by very friendly and helpful staff in the reception area who showed us to the tea room. However I was rather disappointed when shown to a tiny, modernly decorated basement room when I was expecting some grand opulence with 'quintessentially English', traditional 18th century charm, which are a few of the words used in the description on the website.
Despite this initial disappointment in the surroundings, we did find the staff very friendly and attentive.
The food itself was nice but at best 'average'. The cake selection was not to our taste, there was a miniature mince pie, which was 95% pastry, a slice of tea loaf which neither of us could eat as it was so dry, a tiny piece of fudge which wasn't even a 'delicate mouthful' and a creme custard pot. I couldn't eat the custard as it contains raw egg (I am pregnant) so was offered an alternative, but was disappointed to be brought just another of the tiny mince pies.
The Scones with clotted cream and Jam were very nice and the sandwiches nice, yet average as I say.
Overall I would say we were a little disappointed.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Foxchops
Dear Charlybobs,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am really disappointed to hear that you found the afternoon tea 'average', this is most certainly not our intention. We take this service at Vanbrugh House very seriously and I do hope that you can see from the reviews prior, and also from the recommendation you were given, that average is not a response we are used to. I feel that we may have let you down on this occasion and for that I do apologise.
On a more positive note I am pleased that you found the staff friendly and helpful.

Ruvo Di Puglia, Italy
Reviewed 10 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed for one night and this was honestly the most sumptuous, relaxing stay I've had in Oxford - we usually stay at the Randolph but they never got back to us having left a message. We Could have stayed in the hotel all day! We stayed in a suite "vicarage" - stunning bedroom and in particular bathroom, two free standing baths, comfy beds, and so quiet at night. My only grumble was they never checked the fresh milk in the fridge which had gone off - a silly mortifying mistake. However everything else was wonderful. Decided to have breakfast in our room - that too was one of my English breakfast - scrambled eggs excellent consistency and superb sausages. Am definitely staying here in future - doesn't have the stuffiness slight worn out look of the Randolph. It's beautifully refurbished and really tasteful.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Vanbrugh House H, General Manager at Vanbrugh House Hotel, responded to this review, 11 December 2013
Dear Susmita C,

Thank you so much for posting your 5 star review. It is great to hear that you had the chance to enjoy The Vicarage Suite and all its splendour. I feel you made the right choice in choosing to take breakfast in your room, room service to this suite just adds to the experience!
I do sincerely apologise about the milk in your fridge, this is something we check daily without fail but it seems we let you down on this occasion.

I am so glad you chose to stay at Vanbrugh House and we most certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.