“Well located, quality hotel”

Vanbrugh House Hotel
Ranked #4 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Emsworth, United Kingdom
“Well located, quality hotel”
Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

This is a good quality hotel located in the centre of Oxford, in a side street so not noisy. Rooms are well furnished, comfortable and functional. Staff are friendly and helpful. The air conditioning (?) can be a little noisy at night and the breakfast room is rather cramped.

Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Vanbrugh House H, General Manager at Vanbrugh House Hotel, responded to this review, 21 February 2014
Dear tjshome,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to Vanbrugh House. With the hustle and bustle of central Oxford only footsteps away, our location on St Michaels Street offers a tranquil setting in comparison. I am pleased to hear you found the rooms comfortable and of a high standard.

We hope to see you soon at Vanbrugh House.

General manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 February 2014

This was our first visit to Oxford, and we couldn't have wished for a better location - right in the centre of the town.The reception staff were extremely friendly, helpful and knowledgeable.Breakfast was of a high standard with quality produce and plenty of choice.The beds were very comfortable and the room well equipped, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear IntrepidduO,

It is so pleasing to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay at Vanbrugh House. Our central location, in the very heart of beautiful Oxford, is a popular talking point amongst our guests. With location in mind, our knowledgeable staff are always on hand to give you the very best in recommendations.

We look forward to welcoming you again at Vanbrugh House.

Basel, Switzerland
Reviewed 9 February 2014

The staff were excellent - particularly at reception, the staff were very professional, friendly and knowledgeable. The room was tiny but clean and with good-quality, plain but stylish furniture. I stayed for 3 nights and was away from the street. However, on Friday and Saturday nights, the noise from a disco or similar was very intrusive until 1 am. The en-suite was almost as big as the room, was spotlessly clean and provided with good-quality basic toiletries and fluffy towels. The restaurant was small, very busy at breakfast and for afternoon tea (taken only on one day), less busy in the evening. For a non-meat-eater, the menu was a little sparse but adequate for the two evenings I had dinner there.

Room Tip: Am elderly and not so mobile so appreciated that my room was on the "ground floor" even th...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Hilary C,

Thank you for taking the time to review your visit to Vanbrugh House. I am sorry to hear you were disturbed from noise coming from an adjacent street. St Michaels Street on the whole is a very tranquil setting.
I am glad to hear that you found the staff professional, as each department really do take pride in their work. We always aim to provide the guest with the very best of customer service and I am so pleased this was appreciated.

We look forward to welcoming you again at Vanbrugh House Hotel.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 February 2014

We stayed at the VHH for our wedding anniversary - we had seen plenty of glowing reviews and the pictures of the hotel gave us plenty to look forward to.

We were booked into an Arts and Crafts Room. Not knowing what to expect from the description we were given the Wisteria Room. It was pleasant enough if but a little 'snug' and in terms of location of, and the staff in, the hotel, we were very happy.

However, there were little details that hindered us being completely bowled over like those who visited before us. The attention to detail, particularly in the bathroom, was lacking. For example, it was clear that the toilet seat had previously been broken and despite the repair it quickly split again. Granted, it was this time replaced but for £180+ per night it wasn't what we expected. The tile spacers in the floor could also be clearly seen where the grouting work had not been finished.

We were also unfortunately woken by two gentlemen meeting on the landing outside our room who stayed there for at least the morning so our plans to lay-in went out the window. Whilst this was not the fault of the hotel, at no point did staff suggest the gentlemen take their meeting elsewhere.

The soft furnishings are plush and the bed is very comfortable. The staff too were very accommodating and again, in terms of location it is perfect for visitors to Oxford. I only wish we had a different room so that we too could have written a 5* review of this hotel.

Room Tip: Book well in advance directly with a member of staff to ensure you get the best room available for y...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Vanbrugh House H, General Manager at Vanbrugh House Hotel, responded to this review, 10 February 2014
Dear Susanne H,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at Vanbrugh House. I am pleased to hear that you appreciated the central location of the hotel and that the staff made your stay pleasurable.
I have immediately looked into your grouting comments and they are being addressed accordingly, and although you did have an issue with your toilet seat I am pleased to hear it was attended to immediately. I am disappointed that these issues had an impact on your stay and if you do wish to return, I would like to take care of your reservation personally.

We hope to see you at Vanbrugh House again soon.

General Manager.
Sussex
Reviewed 8 February 2014

At the rate I paid, this hotel is less than half the price of some of the bigger hotels in the city centre. However, the quality of the furnishing, the rooms, the breakfast and so on are of at least as high a quality. The restaurant is relatively small, but that does not seem to matter - certainly there was no wait for breakfast. The street is relatively quiet and the hotel is ideally placed with a very nice view of the Oxford Union. I would strongly recommend it. It has to be said that my experience was improved by the fact that I had a free upgrade and the hotel was not as expensive for the night that I booked as it appears to be on other nights (presumably the prices are determined by demand). So, I would suggest trying this before any other hotel and seeing if it fits in with your budget. If I cannot stay in Oxford for less than £100 (Vanburgh was £99) then I tend to go for college rooms.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Philip3
Dear Philip3,

Thank you so much for your 5 star review. I am pleased that you found the hotel of high quality whilst still retaining that all important value for money. It is also good to hear that you received a complimentary upgrade, a practice that we always like to do if availability allows.

Thank you in advance for your future recommendations.

Saxmundham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 February 2014

Booked a small single room for an overnight stay prior to a business meeting. The hotel is located in the centre of Oxford yet only about 7 minutes walk from the station. Although located in a period building the decor is modern and stylish, and tastefully furnished. The room was very small, with only just enough room to move around the bed, but equipped with every modern convenience and furnished to the same immaculate and stylish standard as the rest of the hotel, with a super large and modern shower. It was dark and quiet (located at the back of the hotel) and I had a good night's sleep followed by an excellent breakfast in the small basement restaurant. Good value for money and thoroughly recommended.

Room Tip: Rooms at back likely to be quieter
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Salmo64
Dear Salmo64,

Thank you for taking the time to submit your 5 star review. It is pleasing to hear that found the hotel modern, stylish and tastefully furnished as intended. Being on business I am glad that you were well rested for your meeting and enjoyed breakfast which should set you up for the day.

We look forward to welcoming you again at Vanbrugh House.

General manager
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 February 2014

I have just returned from a two night stay in this hotel. The staff were all welcoming helpful and friendly.The room was cosy ,nicely furnished and very clean with a comfortable bed. I enjoyed an evening meal and a good breakfast in the hotel.
All of the above was totally spoilt by the noise coming from the street and the Oxford Students Union directly opposite my room.This was really disappointing as I had very specifically requested a quiet room.The noise in the street went on until 3 am and then delivery vans began delivering at 7am.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Vanbrugh House H, General Manager at Vanbrugh House Hotel, responded to this review, 8 February 2014
Dear AliAud56,

I am so sorry to hear that you were kept awake during the night of the 5th. The night in question, the Oxford Union were hosting the Town and Gown boxing match and it seems celebrations went on longer than permitted. I apologise for the disturbance and will be looking into this matter personally.
This is so disappointing for us as it appears this has put a negative on an otherwise positive stay. I do hope this will not put you off future bookings with us and really do hope you visit again. If you would like to discuss this matter further, please contact me at;

gm@vanbrughhousehotel.co.uk