“Very good central hotel”

Vanbrugh House Hotel
Ranked #3 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
North East
“Very good central hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2014

I wish I could have stayed longer! I had a small single room which was absolutely perfect for one night in Oxford. I met up my friends for a terrific afternoon tea in the Bistro before we headed out for our evening. Dainty sandwiches, couple of scones, cake, a chocolate mousse ... And a glass of prosecco! Service was very friendly - Eva was the perfect receptionist. I'm always impressed by fresh milk in the fridge which meant a good cup of tea set me up for my early start this morning. I was so sorry I couldn't enjoy a full English breakfast...next time!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Vanbrugh House H, General Manager at Vanbrugh House Hotel, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Dear Bevcarriage,

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review on Trip Advisor, I am so pleased you enjoyed your visit. Here at Vanbrugh House we take great pride in our customer service and Eva was thrilled with your feedback. I am glad you got the chance to indulge in afternoon tea with your guests and we look forward to welcoming you back so you can sample chef's cooked breakfast!

David Robinson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
Crewe, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

We only ate at the Hotel but would like to pass on what an excellent meal we had . My wife and I were looking around Oxford for somewhere to eat on Saturday Night and were tempted in to The Vanbrugh by its menu on the wall outside. A very nice receptionist took us downstairs to the intimate restaurant where another young seated us . It is quirky and small but it is not a problem . Deciding to get straight to a main course my wife had the Duck and I had a posh fishcake both of which were excellent . A few veg come with the main course but we would recommend ordering some more as a side dish . Deserts Apple tart tatin and a banana parfait were again excellent. Service was great and we may look at staying here in the future but heeding the front desk advice of parking on the park and ride and coming in on the bus .

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank david a
Vanbrugh House H, General Manager at Vanbrugh House Hotel, responded to this review, 5 April 2014
Dear david a,

Thank you for reviewing your recent visit to Vanbrugh House, I am so pleased you had an 'excellent evening meal'. Our restaurant is popular amongst residents and non residents, and our attentive staff will always ensure our guests are well looked after. I will be passing your comments on to all of the team.
We look forward to welcoming you on your return visit.

Hertfordshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

Vanbrugh House Hotel occupies a fine 300-year old building (so I am told) and has been imaginatively converted to a small hotel fairly recently. As a result the interior layout is somewhat eccentric, with steep staircases and other single steps where you would not expect them. Our bedroom for instance had a step up to enter, and another step down on the inside. Likewise there was a step up to the (very small) bathroom; the shower was in a separate cubicle. I accept that such drawbacks were imposed by having to work within the original structure - as evidenced by several wooden beams that had been left exposed.

Having said all that, there were plenty of positives. The welcome was exceedingly friendly and helpful, the bedroom was spotlessly clean and air-conditioned, the bed was very comfortable, there was a safe, and in the bathroom there were plenty of soaps, lotions and fluffy towels. There was tea and coffee-making facilities, and, a nice touch, fresh milk in a little refrigerator at the bottom of the wardrobe. There was complementary wi-fi although I did not use it. Our room, overlooking the street, was surprisingly quiet, given the fact that this is a university town (In fact I was attending a function at my old college). Breakfast in the small restaurant in the cellar was excellent with freshly-cooked hot dishes, fresh hot coffee and plenty of cereals, bread, cold meat and so on. My wife ate dinner there the previous night and enjoyed it very much.

One final thing: don't even think of driving to the hotel. You'll never find it if you do, and even if you succeed, you can only park long enough to unload your bags. Then you have to turn the car round in a very narrow street (a cul-de-sac during the day) and find one of the expensive city-centre car parks. I recommend you use either the Water Eaton or the Peartree Park and Rides on the northern outskirts of the city (for £4 for 24 hours) and take the 500 or 300 buses respectively to the Martyrs' Memorial. The hotel is about 2 minutes walk away.

When we checked out the following morning we left our bags for several more hours, and then since our 24-hour car park tickets were about to expire, returned directly to the Park and Ride, collected the car in the nick of time, and drove back to collect the bags. Even though I know Oxford pretty well, I still had to use the Satnav to negotiate the extraordinary one-way system!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Puffin77
Dear Puffin77,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review after your recent stay at Vanbrugh House. The hotel is a grade 2 listed property, full of character, and you are correct in stating that we had to adhere to strict guidelines from the planning authority to work within the original structure. That is why no two rooms are the same and some contain the beautiful exposed beams.
In regards to parking, your recommendation for the park and ride definitely meets our approval. With such a fantastic service running regularly into the city centre, this is the more affordable option. If one would like to park closer, Worcester Street car park is only a few minutes walk away, but as mentioned, more expensive.
Thank you also for all the positive comments in your review. It reads that all departments delivered the high standards required, and I am glad this was appreciated.

We hope to see you at Vanbrugh House again soon.

General manager
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014

We visited the Vanbrugh house hotel for an afternoon procesco cream tea with our two year old !!!!

From the moment we arrived the staff were attentive very friendly welcoming and provided a first class service.

The food was amazing presented beautifully and delicious .

We sat on the terrace and found it hard to believe we were sat in the centre of the hustle bustle of oxford

A real find !!!! I shall be telling all our family and friends about this hotel .

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Vanbrugh House H, General Manager at Vanbrugh House Hotel, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
DearTracy M,

Firstly thank you for your personal correspondence, it is really appreciated when our guests take the time to write such fantastic feedback. All the team were so pleased.
Thank you also for reviewing us on trip advisor! I do hope your daughter is feeling better after the weekend and I am glad you all still got to enjoy your afternoon tea!

We look forward to your return to Vanbrugh House.

General manager
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

Fabulous service, great decor and ambience, centrally located. I can highly recommend this hotel; nice details such as a confirmation phone call the day before my reservation asking if I had any additional requests to improve my visit. The staff were incredibly helpful and friendly. The location was ideal.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Carolyn M
Vanbrugh House H, General Manager at Vanbrugh House Hotel, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Dear Carolyn M,

Thank you in advance for your future recommendations to others, word of mouth truly is great publicity!
Customer service at Vanbrugh House is of the highest priority. Whether this is before you arrive with a pre confirmation call, during your visit and even a follow up email ensuring that you have had a pleasant stay. Our guests comfort is paramount.

We look forward to welcoming you again at Vanbrugh House.

Greater Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014

Service and location of the hotel was excellent, rooms are extremely clean and comfortable, the only query was the bar closed early and there are no lifts to rooms. Breakfast was excellent. I would definitely stay here again and recommend to friends and family.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank 01Natalie73
Dear Natalie S,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review. It pleases me that you enjoyed your time spent at Vanbrugh House.
In regards to our drinks service, our restaurant last orders are at 10pm, and drinks will always be served in the dining room during this time. Also if you do require a night cap a little later we do also offer 24hr room service.
You are correct in stating that we have no lifts at the hotel. Vanbrugh House is a grade 2 listed property which means we have to adhere to strict guidelines from the planning authority. Lifts were not permitted. I feel this just adds to the charm of the hotel. Our team are always willing to carry our guests luggage so this is never an issue.

Thank you for your feedback and look forward to welcoming you again to Vanbrugh House.

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

Finally, another decent new(ish) hotel in Oxford! I had to stay overnight for business and my usual (the Old Bank) was full; my other usual (the Old Parsonage) was closed for renovation. To be honest, I went here with low expectation because Oxford really isn't up to much when it comes to hotels. But the Vanbrugh didn't let me down.

It didn't start off well. There was no one at all at the front desk, and no way to call for service. (One of those old fashioned desk bells would have been nice!) I even went downstairs to the restaurant to find someone, but the staff there couldn't help me. So I sat in the lobby for about 15 minutes before someone finally showed up.

The hotel redeemed itself, though, when I found that I'd forgotten my phone charger. The receptionist very kindly let me use hers and even insisted that I keep it overnight. I really liked the room. It wasn't large, but it was very comfortable and the bathroom was good -- roomy and modern. Everything in the minibar is free, which is not good for the waistline, but a great little perk. And breakfast in their small basement room was good, too. I ordered a soft-boiled egg with soldiers!

The hotel's location is lovely. It's bang in the centre of town on a quaint side street. Bill's restaurant is right next door.

This one's a keeper.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank SkyeTraveler
Vanbrugh House H, General Manager at Vanbrugh House Hotel, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Dear Skye Traveler,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. It really pleases me that you had the chance to experience Vanbrugh House Hotel. It means a lot when an experienced traveller like yourself awards us the coveted 5 stars. Here at Vanbrugh House we pride ourselves with our customer service and we hope you will be able to experience this again soon.

We look forward to welcoming you on your return.