“Wedding Party stay”

Ranked #4 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
London, United Kingdom
“Wedding Party stay”
Reviewed 14 August 2014

I got married in Oxford and my family stayed here. I had the vicarage suite and it was brilliant. The staff looked after my grandmother very well, who had her own garden to sit in. We also ate at the restaurant which was very good. Thank you.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Vanbrugh House H, General Manager at Vanbrugh House Hotel, responded to this review, 23 August 2014
Dear AilH8,

Thank you so much for your 5 star review. I am so pleased that you chose Vanbrugh House for your wedding accommodation and that you were all looked after to the high standard intended. Your Grandmothers room, The Nicholas Hawksmoor, does indeed have its own terraced garden, perfect for these summer months.

We hope to see you all again soon at Vanbrugh House.

General manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
Bristol
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Very pricey but good ast what it does. Staff are fantastic, rooms comfortable. Falls down a bit on communal areas .,.., reception/lounge is small. Breakfast room / brasserie is pokey and basic. At a third less money, it would be wonderful.

Room Tip: Pay more than basic price!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hobbler
Vanbrugh House H, General Manager at Vanbrugh House Hotel, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Dear Hobbler,

Thank you for taking the time to write. I am really pleased to hear that you found the team at Vanbrugh House 'fantastic', we take great pride in our customer service.
In terms of pricing, I feel the rates are competitive within the Oxford market and by far not the most expensive. I do understand the importance of value for money for our guests and appreciate your comments all the same.

Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

We booked for just 1 night stay, and what a fabulous hotel this is... Reception was very efficient and welcoming, the ladies on reception are professional helpful knowledgeable and proficient, who after check-in took us to our room and showed us everything!

Our room was classy, an obviously historic wooden panelled room that had been decorated and fitted with all the modern amenities whilst retaining the character and 'feeling of history' that was apparent. The bathroom was great, a nice quality feel about everything, the towels and robes are as luxurious as they come! The bed was very comfortable, the linen was perfect. The room and hotel was spotless throughout.

The excellent breakfast was served in the small Restaraunt downstairs, which also has an outside seating area.

This hotel is only a few metres away from the bustling Main Street, the only downside is vehicular access to oxford centre, but this applies to everyone. We parked on the seagate park and ride, just £2 for 24hrs and the bus stop around 100m walk away.

This hotel is great and we look forwards to staying here again!

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Craigside
Vanbrugh House H, General Manager at Vanbrugh House Hotel, responded to this review, 16 August 2014
Dear Craigside,

Thank you so much for your 5 star review . It is pleasing to read that the hotel was very much to your liking and I do appreciate your comments regarding housekeeping and the quality of our linen products. These factors are just so important within our hotel and ones which sometimes can be taken for granted. I will be passing your comments on to the team members concerned.

We look forward to welcoming you again at Vanbrugh House.

Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2014

I didn't stay at this hotel, I went for afternoon tea with a friend. We were greeted on arrival by friendly staff and show the way to the restaurant.
My friend was a little disappointed as the waitress announced several times that my friend had booked as part of a groupon ( I already knew this but had it been a surprise would have been embarrassing for my friend )

The tea was lovely with a good variety of sandwiches and cakes which was well presented. The jam with the scones appeared to be homemade which was nice x

It is situated near the main centre with lots of shopping nearby.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Emma E
Vanbrugh House H, General Manager at Vanbrugh House Hotel, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Dear Emma E,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to Vanbrugh House. On booking we do request any special guest requirements and if mentioned that it is a surprise, or of us not to mention billing, we would certainly of adhered to this.
I am really pleased that our homemade afternoon tea was to your liking and that the staff were friendly and accommodating.

We hope to see you again soon at Vanbrugh House.

Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

This hotel is located in the centre of Oxford and within walking distance of major attractions and many colleges.
The staff were extremely helpful, very friendly and -most important- smiling. The recommendations they gave me (where to go and where to eat) were to the point.
There was a welcome letter and complimentary food and drinks.
The lack of airconditioning is a problem during the summer, but I was assured that they work on it and try to solve it.
I had the feeling that the management of this hotel really cares about the customer.
The only thing I didn't like was that cleaning ladies had moved all my things in the wardrobe, just to take a pillow I had put in!

All in all I strongly recommend this hotel, but not during high temperatures.

Mary/Athens

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Nikos V
Dear Nikos V,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I must apologise for housekeeping moving your belongings and appreciate you bringing this to my attention, I have now addressed this matter.
As mentioned in previous reviews we are once again in talks with the planning authority in regards to the lack of air conditioning within the hotel as it is an issue we are trying so hard to rectify.

Thank you for your comments.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

I had a fantastic stay at the Vanbrugh House Hotel. It is very well located, quiet and very well maintained. The staff is most welcoming and helpful. The room I stayed in was large and well equipped. Perfect if you need to do some work while staying there. The place is very well maintained and every little detail is cared about.

The included breakfast (buffet) was a little disappointing in it choices - don't hesitate to order from the menu if you are into large breakfasts, otherwise get it somewhere else.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank davidroessli
Dear davidroessli,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. It pleases me to read you had a fantastic stay, this is most certainly our intention at Vanbrugh House.
Our location on a peaceful side street in the centre of Oxford does mean that the hotel is ideally situated whether one is on a business or a leisure visit.

We hope to see you again soon.

Floreal
Reviewed 6 August 2014

This is a lovely small hotel, Well situated on a quiet road off one of the main shopping streets of oxford. Beautiful, comfortable, well decorated rooms. They also have a varied and delicious breakfast.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Janine R
Vanbrugh House H, General Manager at Vanbrugh House Hotel, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear Janine R,

Thank you so much for your 5 star review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your time spent at Vanbrugh House and that the hotel and its rooms were very much to your liking.
We hope to see you again soon at Vanbrugh House.