“Faux Korean”

Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
State College, Pennsylvania, United States
“Faux Korean”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

After living in Korea for more than 3 years, we developed a real fondness for Korean food. I'm not sure what we had, but it was not Korean food. It was so bland that it was really tasteless. The only spice may have been sitting next to the spice jar -- definitely was not in the food. We have had Korean food several times since leaving Korea, so it is not as though we are comparing it to the food actually in country. This was poor for any country. Just tasteless! Not sure where one would go for real Korean food in Oxford, but this is definitely not the place.

• Visited May 2014
3 Thank Kathy M

• Korean first
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Excellent food and excellent service.”
Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

I wanted to dislike this place. How on earth could any restaurant have the audacity to exist so close the wonderful Sojo's? However, Sojo's was understandably heaving, full no doubt of very satisfied customers so I ventured around the corner. The restaurant itself is spacious and feels welcoming, although this actually probably has more to do with the previous restaurant on the site than the new owners. Nevertheless, the new cuisine fits the surroundings very well. The service was warm and immediately welcoming and wonderfully un-rushed. The menu was extensive perhaps a little too much.. The food however was superb and served promptly. If our choice is to be taken as an example of the food in offer, then I am quite sure that everything on the menu will be both authentic and delicious. All in all, highly recommended if Sojo's is full!

Visited May 2014
Oxford, United Kingdom
“A new experience - Korean cuisine”
Reviewed 22 March 2014

Having been turned away from a couple of restaurants because they were full and we hadn't booked we ended up at Bamboo Korean Restaurant, Park End Street, Oxford. We'd never been there before but were attracted by its brightly lit exterior. Once inside we were delighted by the attentive service. The wide ranging menu was more a book than a menu card. We needed extra time to wade through the reams of choices. I liked the Korean text, English text and description of each course along with a photograph of the food. The photographs made the portions look small. Because of this we ordered two starters followed by three main courses. We were given complimentary chestnut jelly pre-appetisers along with a complimentary side salad. In general the food was excellent. We were surprised when the pre-appetisers, the appetisers and main courses all arrived at the same time. Apparently this is Korean practice. There was barely enough room for all the plates and dishes on the table. Having ordered three mains to be shared between two of us we were unable to consume everything. We both thoroughly enjoyed the cuisine. This was surprising as my Wife is conservative in her culinary tastes. Before we'd finished the meal she asked when will be going there again?

Oxford
“Excellent value for money, authentic and tasty Korean food”
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Been here twice for lunch and both times came away well satisfied.
From the outside this doesn't look very tempting, but the interior is pleasant enough and far more spacious than many restaurants.
Very efficient and friendly service. Spotlessly clean in restaurant and toilets.
I don't know much about Korean food and the menu could be a bit daunting, but there are pictures to help explain it. What I've had so far has tasted excellent though I didn't find the presentation particularly enticing- for one meal there was a large heap of greyish meat and a mound of rice - but it all tasted great. Portions on the large side so you won't go away hungry.
We'll be going back to explore the menu in more detail.
I reserve 5* for places that I regard as really outstanding, but this place is very good on both food and service and I would certainly go back again.

Marlow, Bucks, UK
“The grotty outside belies a pretty good restaurant”
Reviewed 11 March 2014

The exterior of the restaurant suggests that it's moved a couple of steps backwards from the previous incarnation, which was the Cafe CoCo, which is a pity, as it's really on a different level.

The interior is cosier than you might expect, and the food surprisingly good. I had a mixture of the boiled and fried dumplings, and the delicious bibim bap.

Service is generally good: the food came quickly, and the staff were helpful with information about it. However, they were a bit slow when it came to asking us if we wanted coffee.

I love Korean food, and I will certainly be back.