“Do not order the kimchi pancake.” 3 of 5 bubbles

The Bamboo
Ranked #405 of 622 Restaurants in Oxford
Cuisines: Asian, Korean
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
“Do not order the kimchi pancake.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

I know what a glorious kimchi pancake is supposed to be like. But what I got was an orange slab of sweating greasiness embedded with occasional white chunks of supposed kimchi. Couldn't get it exchanged as its quality was supposedly fine...huge waste of my six pounds and ruined my solo dinner.

• Visited July 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

• Korean first
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Porky Doom”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

I had been looking forward to my second bite at Korean food. Twenty years ago an kindly and excruciatingly polite Korean PhD student who was holed up in Glasgow writing up his research on English Romanticism, made me a light, delicious supper, made unforgettable by the purity of ingredients and the light zing of spices. So, when I spotted a Korean restaurant had opened in Oxford I couldn't wait to try more Korean food.
Granted, Bamboo's spotted, curling plastic menu was off-putting, with smeary photos of pork ... but I reasoned that this may well belie the brilliance of the kitchen. We waited. And waited. It wasn't easy to wait and remain stationary as the staff at Bamboo had placed us by the front door, which gusted chilly air at us every time some other benighted diner turned up. This table of doom meant that people were constantly marching in, looming over us momentarily, or eyeing us to see if we were mid-bite.
Finally, the food came. As the waitress moved to place my plate on the table, we both simultaneously noticed a small dead fly attached to its edge. I said nothing. She, meanwhile, smiled wanly and surreptitiously wiped the fly off. Hmmm ... I was slightly daunted by this but much more so when I picked up my fork and found a long hair caught in its prongs. I switched forks and turned, finally, to my dish of pork. I found, though that the pork was in fact a very strange piece of unsmoked, sliced streaky bacon in a sweet shop-bought sauce. The chicken katsu (selected from the criminal line-up just because it looked edible, though distinctly not Korean) was so bound in crumb as to be gravelly. The only edible thing on the table was the kimchi, fresh from the jar. By now, I wanted to shoo away any fool breezing though the door ... Not to be recommended!

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank WitsEnd66
Charlbury, United Kingdom
“Treat for the lad”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

First time eating Korean food for me in a long time and first time since business trips in Korea for my partner. Warm friendly greeting.

We asked to have a selection of typical dishes for the four of us but the waiter didn't really seem keen or willing to take that challenge on. So we just picked at random. I'm sure we ended up with an idc mix of stuff but it was all good.

Having a sampler menu for those unfamiliar with this cuisine would be good.

Good evening out. Good food and not too expensive. Service was fast and food came quickly tho getting more drinks and attention to pay the bill took a while.

State College, Pennsylvania, United States
“Faux Korean”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

After living in Korea for more than 3 years, we developed a real fondness for Korean food. I'm not sure what we had, but it was not Korean food. It was so bland that it was really tasteless. The only spice may have been sitting next to the spice jar -- definitely was not in the food. We have had Korean food several times since leaving Korea, so it is not as though we are comparing it to the food actually in country. This was poor for any country. Just tasteless! Not sure where one would go for real Korean food in Oxford, but this is definitely not the place.

• Visited May 2014
3 Thank Kathy M
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Excellent food and excellent service.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

I wanted to dislike this place. How on earth could any restaurant have the audacity to exist so close the wonderful Sojo's? However, Sojo's was understandably heaving, full no doubt of very satisfied customers so I ventured around the corner. The restaurant itself is spacious and feels welcoming, although this actually probably has more to do with the previous restaurant on the site than the new owners. Nevertheless, the new cuisine fits the surroundings very well. The service was warm and immediately welcoming and wonderfully un-rushed. The menu was extensive perhaps a little too much.. The food however was superb and served promptly. If our choice is to be taken as an example of the food in offer, then I am quite sure that everything on the menu will be both authentic and delicious. All in all, highly recommended if Sojo's is full!

Visited May 2014