“Very Different”

Cuisines: Korean
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 2 August 2014

The service started rather slowly but once the food was odered it arrived promptly. We had the set menu which consisted of many courses, it had good selecection of meats, lamb, beef, selection of vegetables and fruit. What is unusual for me was that the hot meat was served with cold finely sliced vegetables with lots of sesame, but this was pleasant. The portions are generous and I felt very full. The staff were informal and friendly. I would go again and would reccomend this as a change from the ubiquitous chinese food.

There are newer reviews for The Bamboo

Reviewed 24 July 2014

I used to put up with the bad service and the haphazard way food was delivered, some starters here, some there, main course missing rice, other main courses arriving later, because the food was pretty good.

Now that the standard of the food has reached 'disgusting' and the service afterwards was of its usual low standard... a shrug and a 'what do you think we should do about it? then I think we can safely say we are done with this place.

Seriously do yourself a favour and just eat somewhere else.

Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

I know what a glorious kimchi pancake is supposed to be like. But what I got was an orange slab of sweating greasiness embedded with occasional white chunks of supposed kimchi. Couldn't get it exchanged as its quality was supposedly fine...huge waste of my six pounds and ruined my solo dinner.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

I had been looking forward to my second bite at Korean food. Twenty years ago an kindly and excruciatingly polite Korean PhD student who was holed up in Glasgow writing up his research on English Romanticism, made me a light, delicious supper, made unforgettable by the purity of ingredients and the light zing of spices. So, when I spotted a Korean restaurant had opened in Oxford I couldn't wait to try more Korean food.
Granted, Bamboo's spotted, curling plastic menu was off-putting, with smeary photos of pork ... but I reasoned that this may well belie the brilliance of the kitchen. We waited. And waited. It wasn't easy to wait and remain stationary as the staff at Bamboo had placed us by the front door, which gusted chilly air at us every time some other benighted diner turned up. This table of doom meant that people were constantly marching in, looming over us momentarily, or eyeing us to see if we were mid-bite.
Finally, the food came. As the waitress moved to place my plate on the table, we both simultaneously noticed a small dead fly attached to its edge. I said nothing. She, meanwhile, smiled wanly and surreptitiously wiped the fly off. Hmmm ... I was slightly daunted by this but much more so when I picked up my fork and found a long hair caught in its prongs. I switched forks and turned, finally, to my dish of pork. I found, though that the pork was in fact a very strange piece of unsmoked, sliced streaky bacon in a sweet shop-bought sauce. The chicken katsu (selected from the criminal line-up just because it looked edible, though distinctly not Korean) was so bound in crumb as to be gravelly. The only edible thing on the table was the kimchi, fresh from the jar. By now, I wanted to shoo away any fool breezing though the door ... Not to be recommended!

1  Thank WitsEnd66
Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

First time eating Korean food for me in a long time and first time since business trips in Korea for my partner. Warm friendly greeting.

We asked to have a selection of typical dishes for the four of us but the waiter didn't really seem keen or willing to take that challenge on. So we just picked at random. I'm sure we ended up with an idc mix of stuff but it was all good.

Having a sampler menu for those unfamiliar with this cuisine would be good.

Good evening out. Good food and not too expensive. Service was fast and food came quickly tho getting more drinks and attention to pay the bill took a while.