“Very poor hotel” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 6 Spas & Wellness in Oxford
London
“Very poor hotel”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

They call it a spa hotel but the so called spa looks like it was built in the 50s and hasn't had a clean or makeover since. if you are after a relaxing break then the hen and stag groups will put a stop to that as we were kept awake until 4am and the hotel couldn't have been less bothered
We booked a spa break that should of included an hour aroma massage each but 3 of the 6 only ended up with 30 mins to then be told we could have a hand massage to make up the difference yet they had no more times free .....
On check in we were given the wrong rooms and took over an hour to resolve this is the first and last time I will stay at any of the hotels in this group and felt very angry at the hotels lack of care when these problems were raised hence why I am writing this review

The one positive at this hotel was the restaurant where the food and staff were excellent and also the bar staff were very good but sadly it stops there

York, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Brilliant staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for our wedding anniversary weekend. We found the hotel to be just what we needed it was clean and tidy and had the facilities we wanted. The breakfast was plentiful. The pool area was small and a bit dated and so was the steam room but it was still nice to be able to use.
The hotel is located in an easy place for the bus into town so it was great to leave the car behind and have a wander around the city.
The staff were excellent and were fantastic when I had a personal crisis. Their kindness and help was second to none and for that reason alone I would recommend the hotel.

Worcestershire, United Kingdom
“Disappointing stay”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

I have recently visited The Oxford Hotel as a birthday gift from my partner on May 19th and had been looking forward to this visit for weeks! after a long car journey, we were both pretty exhausted but couldn't wait to settle down and check out the hotel and pool facilities.
You enter the hotel to a spacious modern reception and waiting area which was also spotless! But our welcoming from the receptionist was disappointing to say the least..

A forced smile and very little eye contact, she and my partner were discussing the payment method due to booking through www.buyagift.com, due to travelling for so long I decided to head off to the ladies bathroom, but whilst heading back over to the reception desk I overheard my partner asking to speak to the manager as the receptionist would not allow us into our room, yet we were on the check in system? She phoned the manager and was on the phone with them for less than a minute then handed the room key over to us, looking slightly embarrassed! She vaguely pointed in the direction in which our room was in and carried on doing her work on the computer in front of her, not once wishing us a nice stay nor pointing out the dining area, spa facilities, bar area or where to have breakfast! Myself, putting the shoe on the foot, let this situation go over my head, considering the receptionist might be having a bad day or my partner asking to speak with the manager may of upset her.

Later on that evening we enjoyed a lovely three course meal, a bit of a shame that our view from our table was a BP garage and a busy roundabout but never the less thoroughly enjoyed out dining experience. The staff were very attentive and friendly, the only thing I would have to say if I were to be anal is that we were not asked how our meals were, though this was not a huge issue due to having such splendid service.

The room in which we stayed was tremendously cosy, extra blankets and pillows in the cupboards, an ironing board and an iron, a well lit room and bathroom, a extremely comfortable bed and also a selection of teas, coffees, herbal infusions and two biscuits under our television station which made everything feel very homely.

The next morning we were up nice and early and had another mooch around the hotel and enjoyed a lovely full English breakfast, after this we arrived back into our rooms, gathered our luggage and headed to check out.

It seems to me that your reception team have either 1) lack of training or 2) very bad customer service skills. The same lady who had previously checked us in was behind the desk as well as another lady. Waiting in line I overhead a couple saying they had found a needle in the bed and this has 'pricked' the lady whilst she was sleeping, the receptionist, not the lady who had checked us in before hand, gasped and said 'oh my god I'm ever so sorry about that!' not offering to have any supplements taken off the bill, a complimentary drink at the bar, nothing, and most importantly did not address this situation professionally in the slightest. This is a MUST if you have this sort of complaint in a high class hotel.

My turn came, my partner waiting in the car, I proceeded with paying any extras on our bill, handing over the room key I waited behind the desk, with no eye contact, yet again. As the receptionist was on the computer I thought she might of been printing off bill or something or other, after waiting there for half a minute I asked whether everything was ok, I was responded to with 'yes, bye' I can not believe the rudeness of the reception staff and would highly recommend the general manager or front of house manager to watch over the reception ladies during a shift and have a serious think of whom he/she is employing.

Working in the hospitality industry and being a receptionist at a very popular hotel in the Cotswolds myself, I have learnt that customer service is key, a smile and common courtesy can get you a long way but with a bad attitude and lack of respect to your customers will give the hotel a bad reputation and in result guests will not want to return.

A very disappointing experience to what could have been a fantastic stay.

Croydon
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“Fantastic staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

Just returned from 2 nt Amazon deal. What a bargain. Food was great throughout. Swimming pool adequate for a short stay. Bus stop 2 mins away with good service into centre of town. We did have an issue with our room but was moved without much hassle. Staff all work very hard and always seem to have a smile on their faces. All in all wld highly recommend and will return if another deal on offer.

Visited April 2014
Clitheroe, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A disappointment”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

Booked a night with evening meal as a treat was disappointed by the poor service in both the hotel and the restaurant
There did seem to be a lack of supervision and also some language difficulties between staff and customers.
The food was satisfactory but perhaps not to the standard expected by the hotels publicity
Positives - on good bus route into Oxford meaning no need to worry about car and parking when going into city.
Would not recommend which is a shame as could be a great hotel I am sure

Visited February 2014