Malmaison Oxford Castle
Agoda.com
US$147
US$126
  • Pool
Holiday Inn Oxford(Oxford)(Great Value!)
US$110
US$113
Agoda.com
US$171
US$161
Premier Inn Oxford Hotel(Oxford)(Great Value!)
US$86
PremierInn.com
3,224 results
All reviewsconverted prisoncell roomsroll top bathunique hotelcell blockexercise yardsuperior celloriginal cellssunday stopovermain prisonpizza expressporridgespecial occasionbirthday treatcooked breakfastcar parkingcity centre
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Stayed here on business for one night and a business dinner. I cannot speak to the price of the room as am not aware of that.

I did not know it was a prison before arriving, I suppose hence the name "bad house"! Was a bit concerned what it would be like but they have done a lovely job in converting to a comfortable hotel. My room was a good size and nice amenities. It is starting to look a little worn. Biggest issue - bedroom was DARK even with all the lights on. Free and effective internet access.

Had dinner in the basement restaurant and was pleasantly surprised at the food which was delightful, well presented and nicely cooked. There was a group of us in a private room and the service was definitely slow on a Monday night. A couple of times one of us had to go find waitstaff. The continental breakfast buffet had a good selection and the cooked breakfast looked lovely but did not try that.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Paul W, General Manager at Malmaison Oxford Castle, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2013

Dear MikeBirdman,

Thank you for your feedback, I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, in particular that you found the food delightful.

I have taken in to account the areas that we could do better, please be assured that these will be shared with the team for direct action.

Reviewed 21 November 2013

We stayed here for two nights recently having found a cheapish deal with booking.com, I'm so glad we didn't pay top whack for our stay as this place is extremely overpriced.

The exterior and majority of the interior is very impressive, but sadly our room was nothing special, uncomfortable bed, broken curtain rail and there was only one plug socket!? Which was located by the front door at the bottom of the wall - it was a bit strange having to boil the kettle down there!

Breakfast is extremely overpriced, we paid extra to include the continental both mornings, we regretted this straight away as hot drinks and toast wasn't included in this price. The 2nd night we ordered breakfast to our room for the following morning, this didn't arrive until I chased 45minutes later. There's restaurants selling hot breakfasts only 2minutes from this hotel so I would advise you get out for breakfast. The waitresses were particularly rude during the breakfast service and slow.

There is a small bar in the brasserie that we spent an hour or so in both nights - good choice of cocktails but we had one really good bar maid serve us and the other wasn't so good. Eg wrong fruit in some of the cocktails - the living room bar two doors along made a better version of our cocktails and they weren't even on their menu (and cheaper).

Don't pay to park here it's £28 per day - absolutely ridiculous! You can pay £9 a day at the station car park that is only a 5/10 min walk away.

Enough moaning - good points;
The location is excellent you can walk into Oxford town centre. The square of restaurants and bars surrounding malmaison is fab. With a better room and better service I think we would have enjoyed our stay a lot more, but compared to hotels like the crazy bear - malmaison is extremely overpriced.

• Stayed: November 2013
Paul W, General Manager at Malmaison Oxford Castle, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2013

Dear Beach261211,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your stay at the Malmaison Oxford. I am sorry that you found a couple of maintenance issues in your room and the position of the spare plug socket inconvenient. I will certainly review this with my team and look for solutions to this.

I was a little confused with your comments regarding breakfast, as with both continental and full breakfast unlimited tea, coffee and toast is included. I will also follow up with the Bar team regarding their standards, we have just launched a new cocktail menu which may have been the cause of this. We usually get incredible feedback regarding our cocktails and are very highly regarded in Oxford and the surrounding area for these.

We do hope that you choose to visit us again in the future.

Reviewed 19 November 2013

This hotel conforms to the Malmaison trend of opening hotels in quirky locations - this one a former prison. They have done a great job of adapting it and it retains features but with comfort.

What was good:
- breakfast was excellent
- bar was well stocked and bar staff friendly
- location is very convenient
- room was clean and comfortable

What was bad:
- the rooms are very dimly lit and, for the most part, this is fine. However, a decent reading light is sometimes required
- the bathroom (room 130 for anyone from MM reading this) needed some serious maintenance: no hot water in the sink for most of the week, broken pop-up waste, broken toilet flush and dodgy shower (despite an advert saying "some like it hot, some hotter", generally struggled to get it above warm.

Would I stay here again? Possibly, but it wasn't the best place I've ever stayed.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear Stevo789,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review, I was delighted to read you enjoyed breakfast and the bar in particular.

Thank you for your feedback regarding your bedroom, I can assure you we have revisited the room and audited it to bring it up to its best quality once again.

We do hope you choose to visit us again.

Reviewed 19 November 2013

Personally I was not as excited about our hotel stay here as my husband was. An old prison? My first reaction was ghosts! BUT, I was pleasantly surprised. It was GORGEOUS. Warm, inviting, quirky - yes, but absolutely stunning. Comfortable beds, great quality refreshments, amazing toiletries, all in all FANTASTIC.

It was a little bit pricey, but worth the money. Such a unique environment.

One bad thing - the receptionist we dealt with was a bit grumpy, but I've been there too.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear CanadianAbroad2...

Thank you for taking the time to write with your feedback.

I was absolutely delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. The hotel is truly unique and it is great that you found it cozy and comfy also.

I will liaise with the reception team with regard to their giving a grumpy impression, hopefully the next time you visit you will realise the benefit of your feedback!

Reviewed 18 November 2013

We stayed at the hotel at the beginning of November. I had high expectations for this hotel and these were simply exceeded!
From the moment you walk in, there is something about the hotel which you cannot help but be impressed with. The ambience, the music in the lobby, the quirky little signs to the personal check in desks ... It makes for a great start to any stay.
Our room was great, a converted cell which was surprisingly spacious. Love the landing when you come out of the lift!
The cocktails at the bar are amazing and on Fridays they do Friday Bubbles which simply has to be participated.
We dined in the restaurant that evening. The food was out of this world and wine was a perfect accompaniment!
The hotel is very clean with quirky little touches everywhere. The staff are very friendly and the location is fantastic for all the tourist things and local shopping areas. All in all, the hotel was in my opinion faultless! I would not hesitate to recommend.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Jo B,

Thank you very much for writing with your feedback.

I am delighted we were able to exceed your expectations during your visit. Bubbletime on a Friday night is always a lot of fun - how can it not be with heavily discounted Champagne?!

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel very soon.