“What a great experience!”

Malmaison Oxford Castle
Ranked #6 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Ross on Wye
“What a great experience!”
Reviewed 15 December 2013

My wife booked an overnight stay to celebrate my 60th birthday last week, how surprised was I when she took me straight to jail! Put any thoughts of discomfort aside, the tasteful renovation of the prison is luxurious but they have maintained the character of the building as it once was. Our 'cell' was on A Wing and was in fact three cells knocked into one. Beautifully appointed bathroom and very comfortable bedroom. We dined in the restaurant and again found welcoming staff and excellent food. This is a real experience and something out of the ordinary. Thank you also for the FREE cocktails you gave us when you discovered it was my birthday!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Paul W, General Manager at Malmaison Oxford Castle, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
Dear PotsandPieces,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your stay at the hotel. Happy birthday by the way! I was delighted that you chose to celebrate your birthday with us and that you had a great experience.

We do hope to see you again in the near future.

Paul Watson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (663)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Slovak first
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed 13 December 2013

Very unique hotel that has taken a fabulous building and made it into an even nicer hotel. The location is great but in/out if Oxford is just never easy but that is not the fault of the hotel. Relaxing stylish chic hotel

Room Tip: Sorry mistyped pool entry, don't think they have one
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Dear Attymassers,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your stay at the hotel. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your time with us. We do hope to see you again very soon.

Bath, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 December 2013

Such a lovely hotel - plush and comfortable and with the theme of the old gaol it really feels different and novel without being commercial. Close to the City Centre but a little apart which I really enjoy. Also has a great Brasserie and bar area for dinner or a nightcap. Staff always very pleasant and obliging. A lovely hotel in a great spot in Oxford. Fab development!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Dear Karen B,

Thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback, I was delighted to read that you enjoyed our hotel. I was particularly pleased that you enjoyed the Bar and Brasserie and that the staff were pleasant and obliging throughout.

Thank you once again and we hope to see you again soon.

England
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Our room was in the far corner of the old block and, whilst interestingly converted, was unfortunately very badly designed with a huge outside security light shining through a shower room which had frosted glass on the inside and outside resulting in a permanently floodlit bedroom, even after we had tried covering the glass with towels and bathmats. Our troubled sleep was then rudely interrupted at around 7.00 am by the cacophony of rubbish skip been shaken and emptied right outside our window. When reported to reception in reply to the perfunctory "how was your stay?" it was clear that little notice was taken of the comments so that future guests could be spared. We were shocked to discover that without consultation our car had been moved from the space outside the hotel to a subterranean car-park for which the hotel expected to charge over £20 for one night. When added to the £30 which was added to our bill for breakfast, despite having been shown to a table without any warning that the disappointing spread came at a premium. It is after all very unusual for the greeter not to mention that your breakfast is not included, and very rare for a restaurant with the aspirations of a Malmaison to offer such a limited buffet of croissants and cereal. Because we were so unhappy with our stay, the staff did remove the additional £50+ from our bill, but I doubt we will return t what is otherwise a fascinating hotel in a great location, as the experience left us with a bit of a sour taste in our mouths, which was not wholly down to the breakfast buffet.

Room Tip: Avoid the old gaol house block
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Wentworth40,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your stay at the hotel. I am sorry that we did not fully meet with your expectations. I would be most interested to know exactly which room you were staying in for a floodlight to be shining light in to your room. If you don't mind to do so, please email me on pwatson@malmaison.com so that I can investigate this further for our future guests.

Our car park is a porter service as we must transport cars to the underground car park as well as manage the parking at the front of the property. Clearly it should have been explained to you as you gave your keys to the porters and reception that this is so.

I am sorry that the breakfast team did not explain that you had booked a room only rate. We do have breakfast inclusive rates available on all available booking channels at the point of reservation as well as the opportunity to purchase breakfast on the day.

I do hope that we see you again at the hotel in the future.

Warm Regards

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 December 2013 via mobile

After reading the reviews I drove here with nervous thoughts about where I was staying . Let me tell you this hotel is amazing. The experience started at reception, to the valet parking and onwards to the bar staff. The room was amazing and despite the comments re lighting was fine to work from with good wifi. The conference room was good for our small meeting too. Remember when you book this is a boutique hotel experience. If you want a traditional style hotel this is not for you! Well done malmasion another bespoke hotel!

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Dear Sjc997,

Thank you for taking the time to write with your review. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed the hotel and the moody feel the lighting creates.

I am so pleased that you enjoyed our hotel so much, we do hope that we get to see you again in the future, perhaps for a leisurely visit next time!

Kind Regards

Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 December 2013

As somewhere to experience it is interesting, you don't get to spend the night in a posh prison generally, but that is where the pleasure stops. The service was lacking, doors creaked, information cards in the room were worn out, the room service information was on a torn off piece of A4 paper, lighting in the room was so dim that it was hard to read, the pile of cigarettes outside the door to the building we were in was disgusting and so on.

Considering the cost of the place they could do so much better. Yes it is generally clean, but places like around the corner of the glass shower door had caked on detritus. We also felt that, considering the price, we should not have to pay premium rate to phone the hotel, even after we had booked!

We completed the comments cards, both sides, and haven't heard anything. If a customer of mine had put a single comment about my business I would have been in touch to say that we would at least look into it.

I know a considerable number of basic B&Bs that can be more highly recommended.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else. Mal Maison translates to ill house. How apt.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Mike S,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your stay at the hotel. I am sorry that we did not meet with your expectations on this occasion.

We have been getting some great comments regarding our team recently, naturally I was most disappointed to read we let you down in this regard. We are awaiting new information cards and room service menus die in the New Year, generally on inspection these are still in good order in the rooms although it did become clear a number of rooms required our closer attention and replacement.

I will liaise with the Castle Management with regard to external cleanliness, particularly at this time of year with so many parties taking place for the festive season which always leads to an increase in discarded cigarettes.

Thank you once again for your feedback, we are working tirelessly to improve our service and experience at the hotel to ensure a seamless and consistently great experience for all of our guests.

Warm Regards

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 December 2013 via mobile

We've been looking forward to this for months, but sadly, our great expectations were not met.
The hotel LOOKS amazing, and the reviews appear good, but these are the things that need to be improved on;

- The whole place is DARK, from the reception to the rooms and bar/restaurant Are lights banned or something. If they are trying to create a moody atmosphere, it's gone too far!
- Myself and my wife both showered in Luke warm water at 8am, having even tried to "dire press the red button for VERY hot water". Really not a pleasant experience.
- The reception staff are RUDE. My wife asked what time check out was and the receptionist answered without even looking up. Unbelievable.
- Even when we tried to check out it took about 15 minutes because the reception staff couldn't work the computer. Our bill was completely wrong and needed fixing by someone from the restaurant (??). Our friends also had to ask for breakfast to be removed from the bill because we didn't HAVE breakfast.

Frankly, the place looks amazing, and, beside the darkness, is amazing inside too, but a few issues spoilt our stay. We will not be returning.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dosso31
Paul W, General Manager at Malmaison Oxford Castle, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Dear dosso31,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your experience at the hotel. I am sorry that our mood lighting through out the hotel was not to your taste and that you experienced issues with the temperature of the water in the shower. It is extremely unusual for us to receive feedback with regard to not having enough hot water and I shall have to investigate this further.

I am so sorry that you found the reception team to be rude and that your bills were not as you had expected. I have ensured the Front of House Manager is a aware of your feedback, it is simply unacceptable that a member of our team should be so ignorant.

Once again I am sorry we did not meet with your expectations though I appreciate you having taken the time to write with your comments.

I do hope we see you at the hotel again.

Kind Regards