Malmaison Oxford Castle
US$475
US$244
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
Holiday Inn Oxford(Oxford)(Great Value!)
US$106
US$108
Agoda.com
US$160
US$153
Premier Inn Oxford Hotel(Oxford)(Great Value!)
US$96
PremierInn.com
US$282
US$274
  • Breakfast included
3,221 results
All reviewsconverted prisoncell roomsroll top bathcell blockunique hotelexercise yardsuperior cellpizza expresssunday stopoveroriginal cellsmain prisonporridgespecial occasionbirthday treatcooked breakfastcar parkingcity centre
Reviewed 21 January 2014

Booked this for my other half's 40th birthday treat as I was intrigued by the architecture. It didn't disappoint. The hotel has remained faithful to the original architecture retaining many original features. Our room was what had been three cells merged and it was lovely and spacious. I had arranged balloons to be in the room on arrival and these awaited us, as did chocolates which I had not requested so a welcome surprise. Dinner was lovely as was breakfast- definitely recommend this hotel

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Paul W, General Manager at Malmaison Oxford Castle, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2014

Dear TravellerHB1979,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review following your experience with us. I am pleased that we were able to help celebrate your husbands birthday and hope this is the first of many visits for you.

Reviewed 20 January 2014

This being a hotel built within an old castle, which later used to serve as a prison, has a distinct charm and unique feel about it. For a large part, they have retained the prison cells as far as possible including the window grilles, doors, arched entries, and long passageways.

The service, room quality, cleanliness, facilities, etc. are excellent.

As for the restaurant, vegetarians have to depend only on fruits, cereals, or bread toast (and the usual jams/jellies). If you are a vegetarian, no hot breakfast for you - not even hash brown and baked beans, the typical British breakfast choice for vegetarians. The dinner menu too, is not so exciting - a burger here or there, and a couple of salads to choose from - that's it!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
5  Thank ChintanLakhani

Dear ChintanLakhani,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I was pleased to read your comments about the hotel and the team in particular, since it is those guys that give the hotel its soul.

We are changing the menu on the 19th February, hopefully this will be more to your tastes.

Reviewed 16 January 2014

We booked on the sunday to take advantage of the deal that Malmaison did offering reduced rate Sun night solong as you spend a set minimum on food and drink. We have visited the Oxford hotel previosly and on each time just love the way in which the old Prison has beeen restored. The old cells have beed turned into really cool rooms, we had one of the Wardens rooms this time and was equally impressed. The cocktail bar which was the old prisoners visiting roon is worth a visit also. Food was really good and staff very attentive.

Room Tip: just enjoy this is a great place
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dave N

Dear Dave N,

Thank you for your great feedback following your stay with us. I'm delighted that you took the time to write such a great review of the hotel as are my team.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 15 January 2014

We went to Malmaison for a birthday treat.I found the surroundings very lovely and unusual.We had a very good meal which we enjoyed.The service was good and the atmosphere pleasant.It is a good venue for a special occasion.We thought our meal was a reasonable price.It does help that they accept the Gourmet card.Drinks were perhaps a little expensive.I think too that chairs which are a little more comfortable would have enticed us to linger for longer.However it was a good experience over all.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Molly W

Dear Molly W,

Thank you for your feedback, I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your time with us. We do hope you choose to visit the Brasserie again soon, we have a fabulous Sunday Brunch you and your family should try!

Reviewed 14 January 2014

The hotel itself is great. Good rooms, and interesting ambience. At the price I think dressing gowns should be included in the room. I would advise not to go for package deals as you end up paying too much for food which explains why I thought the food in the restaurant was way over-priced. My tempura was a standard pub starter, my risotto main course was poor (excessive liquid) and the pear crumble was far too sweet. Good wine list. I would gladly stay at the hotel again but I would eat elsewhere.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Douglas M

Dear Douglas M,

Thank you for taking the time to write with your review. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed the hotel though I am sorry to read that we were unable to exceed your expectations with regard to the food.

We have a new menu coming on the 19th February and perhaps this will better suit your taste.