“Excellent and interesting”

Malmaison Oxford Castle
Ranked #6 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Reviewed 8 May 2014

We spent only the one night in a cell room which was really good.Superb bathroom with under floor heating.Clean and cosy,which I am sure previous occupants didnt see that way!
When we arrived we were initially sent to the new complex which was not what I expected.A bit of an exchange resulted in us being moved to a cell room.The room was clean and very pleasant.

The visiting room bar was busy with a large area reserved for a "hen do". As there were only two of us we did find a couple of seats.However, I counted nine people who left as there was no where .
We paid for a parking-very difficult in central Oxford-and the car was left outside along with the others.When we visited a few weeks before we sat opposite and watched the valets taking the cars downstairs in a lift to be parked under the new annexe.I did query this was not really given an answer.
Not a "cheap" weekend,but you are paying for the uniqueness and location.Would definantly stay again

Room Tip: Make sure when you book you have a cell room.The website I booked on specifically said this is not a...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mike W

Reviewed 8 May 2014

me and my partner stayed here for a weekend, the rooms are comfy and well decorated. the suroundings are unique, for an old prison it is rebuilt and decorated to an outstanding level. its in the town so everything is within walking distance. really enjoyed our time here.

Room Tip: we stayed in the cell block and it was brilliant
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 May 2014

My wife and I stayed in this hotel on bank holiday Friday night. Perhaps understandably, the rate was very expensive at over £300 room only. At that sort of price, I expect everything to be right; it wasn't. We had to queue at check-in while one staff member spent at least 5 minutes trying to get her computer to work. After a long walk to the room carrying our own luggage, the electronic key wouldn't open the room door and, back at reception, I had to queue for service again. The room was very pleasant, once we got in. The continental breakfast (at extra cost) had limited selection. At check-out, I asked to see the duty manager. She turned out to be a woman who was present during the check-in debacle. It's a shame that she didn't solve the problem or compensate us at the time; a glass of wine in the bar during the wait would have changed our mood and shown a commitment to service. The rate reduction seemed too little, too late.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 May 2014

We spent one night in the "House of Correction"... (the name given to that particular building when it was a prison". The room itself was light, roomy, very comfortable and spotlessly clean. The staff were friendly and efficient. I would recommend having a cocktail (or two) in the cocktail bar. Breakfast was first rate, with a choice of anything you could possibly want. Again, the staff here were attentive, friendly and efficient. I couldn't fault our stay in any way.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Emma D, General Manager at Malmaison Oxford Castle, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2015

Dear NicolaSarahHennessy

Thank you for taking the time to write your review for our Roof Top Terrace at Malmaison Oxford. I do hope your parents had a fantastic anniversary in Oxford!

We are currently very excited about our roof terrace and thank you for your feedback, this is very important to us as we are evolving, as we want to ensure that all of our guests (hotel residents, visitors & locals) have a fantastic time up there on our sunnier days in Oxford. I have also passed on your personal thanks to Phil!

We look foward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Oxford.

Kind Regards

Emma Doré

Reviewed 7 May 2014

The Malmaison is a stunning 5 star Hotel rebuilt in the old prison. Its a bit pricey but great for a special occasion. The food was excellent and staff very helpful. Every part of the Hotel is decorated to an outstanding level. Our room was very comfortable and we had a small terrace. It was convenient for the Coach Station.

Room Tip: If you want to get "The Prison" effect ask for a room in A Wing 1st Floor.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I had really looked forward to staying at this hotel and given the cost per night, I had high expectations. Unfortunately they were not really matched.

The check-in was a disaster as the first set of keys did not work, then they replaced the keys but the room turned out to be already occupied, until finally we were finally given the right keys to the right room. All of this was played next to an angry Russian guy trying to pay a huge bill in cash and arguing with the staff.

The room itself was incredibly stuffy with windows that did not open (I guess for security reasons as it was on the ground floor) and smelt of sick. The bed, bathroom and fittings were all of a very high standard, although the room itself was pretty small (although this may be normal for Oxford).

On the positive side, I have to say that ambiance of the hotel with the original prison features was really well done - even if a little scary, and the bar was terrific with a sublime dry martini mixed by a very talented bartender. The location in the heart of Oxford is also very good, although the downside is that parking at the hotel is extremely limited and the cost in the local NCP was £35 per night.

The final nonsense was on check-out when I tried to bring the car round to the hotel entrance to pick up the bags and got abuse from the doormen/security guys.

All in all it was disappointing and frankly some of the original inmates probably had a better stay here than I did.

Room Tip: Don't stay in "C wing".
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Paul W, General Manager at Malmaison Oxford Castle, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

Dear Julian_Tanner,

I am very sorry that we failed to meet with your expectations during your visit. Please be assured that I have shared your feedback with my Front Office Manager and team detailing your front office experience at the hotel. It really is unacceptable on many levels and I sympathise with the obvious frustration this must have caused.

I was however very pleased to read about your bar experience, as a general rule I am lucky to have a very talented and professional team throughout the hotel which only heightens the disappointment you must have felt at the reception.

I do hope that you choose to come back again in the future where I hope that you will experience a much improved service affected in part by your feedback shared with us.

Warm Regards

Paul

Reviewed 5 May 2014

What an unusual place! Wake up and think you are in a posh episode of Porridge! Service was good strong management, food good, meeting room was great for what we needed. Would use again for business meeting.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Dear bedbrad,

Thank you for taking the time to write with your feedback. I was delighted to read that we can expect to see you back in the future.

Warm Regards