“Castle Vibes”

Malmaison Oxford Castle
Ranked #6 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Reviewed 7 June 2014

After a spontaneous trip to Oxford last minute, we booked the Malmaison into a "House of Correction" room. Price was on the higher side but when we arrived it was definitely worth it. Lovely room, original stone walls with a modern twist. The bed was very comfortable (and huge), with more than enough space in the room itself. Staff were very friendly the entire stay. We had breakfast in bed which was lovely, my only criticism - there was no coffee/tea option offered with breakfast. Location wise - very central oxford, easy to get to the universities and botanical gardens. Parking was quite expensive due to the central location. We would definitely stay again.

1  Thank Lucy F
There are newer reviews for Malmaison Oxford Castle

Reviewed 5 June 2014

There is a calm, balanced luxury over this incredibly well performed transformation of the old prison. It has it all, attractive rooms, with elegant quirky solutions, thought through anemities for your comfort, clean. The staff is attentive and friendly and the food recommendable. This is my second stay for work purposes, I will surely return and if possible also for a private stay.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Charlotte K
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I stayed here last weekend and we opted for an upgraded room called Solomon Wisden. Whilst the room was a great size as was the bathroom it just seemed to lack a the wow factor I was expecting. The bed was a bit hard and the bathroom needed a few issues fixing like the shower handle falling off, the pressure being a bit low and the toilet seeming to block. We did mention this the following day and the staff said they would look into it. I also think the room needs a makeover to set the standard of being pitched as a boutique hotel. It felt like a typical 5 star hotel to me which lacked character.

The valet parking was great and the location is absolutely spot on, you literally couldn't get a better position in Oxford if you want to go out and explore, eat, drink and be merry.

The next day we had lunch in the garden but found the service to be very slow and staff were unsure of which menu to give us. It was a shame the service was not consistent and I think it is a nice place to stay, but if the service was a bit more slick then I wouldn't have felt it was overpriced.

I might stay again, but I would choose a cheaper room and then choose the upgrade option which was emailed to me a few days before my arrival as I think that may have been a better deal.

Oh and lastly they really need to offer a cooked breakfast as part of room service. All bran is a rubbish cereal, something upmarket would have been appreciated.

2  Thank spinnyminnie
Reviewed 4 June 2014

So I booked my reservation for a 2 night stay at Malmaison through Hotels.com. When I arrived, they only had me booked for only 1 night. There was availability for the second night, so they made the adjustment at check-in. The amount I was charged for the 2 night stay was GBP 355.00. I found my Hotels.com confirmation and thought I should forward to the hotel, to confirm that I had initially booked a 2 night stay. Unfortunately, the amount I was quoted through Hotels.com was GBP 480. After I arrived in my room, the front desk called me to say they would have to charge me more than they initially quoted when I arrived, as the Hotels.com reservation was a higher rate per night. I asked if it could be adjusted, as I now knew the second night could have been a lower rate. Reception told me they could not, but offered me free breakfast. I'm honestly not sure who's fault it is - Hotels.com or Malmaison. The bottom line, unfortunately, is that I'm extremely aggravated and am not sure I would risk coming here again. It's a lovely place, but I feel like someone has taken advantage of me.

Room Tip: If you book through a third party OTA (online travel agent), I would highly recommend contacting the...
Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank PurpleAmbrosia
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I had a very quick trip to Oxford and was lucky enough to spend a couple days at the Malmaison Oxford. Very cool hotel, old jail turned into hotel. Cool vibe and spacious room. Perfect location with in the center of Oxford. The bar and restaurant in the hotel were nice and the food was very good. Staff was very friendly and helpful as this was my first trip to Oxford.

I would recommend the hotel for both pleasure and business. I think it would be a great romantic long weekend getaway.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We stayed in the hotel for a family birthday and were given a room in the Governors House.It was more spacious than the one on our last stay with a good sizes bathroom. despite overlooking the entrance to the hotel, it was quiet so a good nights sleep could be had.I love the character of the hotel and it is my favourite Malmaison. One of our party had a cell room which was very quirky but I have to say that I preferred ours, which was John Wyatt.

The reception staff were excellent and the welcome couldn't be faulted. Can't wait until our next stay!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We had a last minute trip this weekend and stayed for 1 night. Because it was last minute we had no choice on the room and I wouldn't have chosen the most basic cell room if I had booked earlier. I found the room very strange , too much still like a prison cell, not sexy ! I think with some better interior design it could be fun but still enjoyable. The bathroom was awful and the shower hardly worked. However every single member of staff that we dealt with was exceptional !! We had a wonderful evening meal and our waitress ( Fikre) was outstanding , nothing too much trouble and very charming . The bar was lovely and the main hotel areas were very nice. I think they should put more wow factor in the roof terrace it could be amazing. We will visit again but a different room .

Room Tip: Unless you really want to feel as though you are sleeping in a cell, choose a higher spec room
1  Thank Julie W