“amazing”

Ranked #6 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
oxfordshire
“amazing”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

i was taken here for my birthday meal and wished i was staying! the food was lovely and service was great, was suprised how reasonable it was also! This is now me new favorite place and i will be going again very soon

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Paul W, General Manager at Malmaison Oxford Castle, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Dear newy0rksam,

Thanks for the review, always delighted to read about our guests great experiences! I'm glad we are now a feature in your favourite places, I guess that means we'll see you again soon.

We look forward to it!

Paul

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (678)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Slovak first
UK
Reviewed 16 June 2014

A potentially beautiful hotel- cleverly converted and very well placed but...

...whilst the room was good and in the main building- the promised quality toiletries are average and quite blokeish in scent. No hair conditioner which was a pain, room nibbles etc are really really expensive. The bedding is lovely but the room is very very hot at night.

The bar, especially roof top is lovely, and the cocktails are interesting and well presented.

I really wouldn't bother with the brasserie. Very expensive and mediocre- go to Prezzo or The Slug and Lettuce next door for similar food and a buzzier atmosphere. Also- as a guest I tried to book a table for 8pm that night to be told they were very busy- at that point happily settled for 7.45pm and thought no more about it until 8pm+ when the place was very very quiet and virtually empty! What was that about?

I had paid for a continental breakfast...no cheese or meat to be seen....so pastries and cereals- nice but....

Individual staff are very helpful but overall it feels overpriced, and as if it promises more than it delivers based on being in a very interesting building that has been beautifully converted.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jean T
Dear Jean T,

Thanks for taking the time to write a review with your thoughts of your stay. I was pleased you liked the hotel and location though I am sorry you found the toiletries to be lacking - this is unusual feedback for us though I will continue to monitor our guests reaction in this regard.

With your feedback and feedback of a similar nature we have now added a selection of cheese and meats to the continental breakfast options.

We are always working to improve and are always pleased for our guests feedback. Hopefully you will see the benefits of this on your return.

Carterton, oxfordshire
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

So I booked here for my 1st wedding anniversary.... We entered the entrance and my first thought was WOW until I saw the long queue for check in! After 45 minutes we were checked in.... The room was ok it didn't fully impress me but was a higher standard than I have had before. There are extras (mini bar /snacks) that are charged at an expensive amount...... So to be fair it was a once in a lifetime experience but I wouldn't pay that much again to stay

• Stayed March 2014
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I have stayed in many Oxford hotels over the years and have never been more disappointed. The staff were very good, however it took three attempts to get a decent room with barely adequate air conditioning. The rooms are tired, dirty marked carpets, AC not working properly, bashed furniture, cracked sinks, broken towel rail. As this has only been a hotel since 2006 and supposed to be a flagship hotel it falls short for maintenance and house-keeping, it's the little things that add up to a miserable experience.

The food is somewhat lacking too, though they did manage a 350gsm strip steak well though at £30.00 a pop a little over priced, as it came with just a huge mound of watercress, as did the beef carpaccio the previous evening which had been stacked one plate over another for hours as the only way to eat it was using a knife to scrape it off the plate. The breakfast was quite good though I would avoid the coffee offered and ask for a decent cup from the bar.

The grounds are lovely and relaxing first thing in the morning and evening, well kept. Overall the hotel is a lovely venue the staff fantastic - I will return and hopefully they will have sorted out the house-keeping and maintenance issues.

Room Tip: A wing/block, but make sure A/C are working correctly.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Dear Karen c,

Thank you for taking the time to write, I am sorry that overall you were disappointed with your stay.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the hotel and the staff, though understand your concerns with other aspects of your experience. Please be assured that we are working hard to continually upgrade the hotel - in part some of the challenges is the sheer volume of visitors we have with the popularity of the hotel, in part it is due to the nature of the building itself. In both instances, we are working hard to continuously improve the product and services provided.

I do hope we see you again soon.

Kent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

The rooftop terrace is lovely with stunning views and good music! Staff were very friendly although ordering one jug of pimms took at least ten minutes followed by another ten waiting for it despite it being not particularly busy at all. This was a shame as the grounds and surroundings are lovely and it has a very calm and romantic feel about it. The lower level roof terrace has lovely large bean bags, quite a trendy place for quiet drink!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Cirencester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2014

We visited Malmaison for Dinner in April for my partners 40th Birthday (table of 12 for private dining) Nothing was too much trouble and the service was nothing short of excellent. The food was simply divine and the waiting staff were amazing... thank you to the guy that agreed to wear a fun mask to deliver our cake!

I had close contact with the events manager Cerris leading up to the party, she is an absolute credit to the business. Thank you Cerris!

If you are visiting Oxford, or are looking for an outstanding venue then Malmaison is your place

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Ipav,

Thanks for the great review, I'm always delighted to read about our guests great experiences particularly when they are driven by the service provided by the team.

Thanks again for taking the time to write.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I stayed here with a friend for a weekend break. I have been to the Randolph before, but my companion was keen to try this place (and an American business colleague of mine was very enthusiatic about Malmaison Oxford) and I am glad we did venture into the prison!

We had a superior double in the A-wing - essentially three cells knocked into one room. Very smart, well converted, with all the key features you would expect housed in the novel charm of a prison cell. Maybe a little bit small, but if you stay in a former prison that's to be expected.

The bar was trendy, busy, and with a good selection of cocktails. We ate in the restaurant once and the food and service were excellent.

As I was driving the availabilty of parking was key. It's expensive, but this is car-hating Oxford and so you should expect that.

My only gripe was the room service breakfast - I would have preferred a cooked option. But it was not a major issue.

Overall, a fun, convenient, and good quality place to stay in Oxford.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends