“Totally Fab”

Ranked #6 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Liverpool
“Totally Fab”
Reviewed 21 April 2009

My partner and I stayed on one of the Sunday deals where you dine at the restaurant spending over £75 and then get a room for £1. This deal was utterly fab. We upgraded to a larger room with roll-top bath for an extra £20 so it was a total bargain!

The room, including the bathroom was 3 cells large. Bathroom was luxurious, bed was very comfy and the service was great. We asked for extra coffee, bubbles and all the goodies you get in the room and the staff were happy to bring them all to us. We had several baths and they just kept bringing the extra bubbles as we wanted them, each time with a smile.

The restaurant was wonderful. Excellent value and quality. Service was wonderful too. Liz and the French Lady there could not be helpful enough. Atmosphere was lovely and even nicer at breakfast. Porridge was lovely too....and I usually dont like porridge! You didnt feel like a cheapie by the staff despite staying on the cheap deal, so you were made to feel really special. A real 4 star experience all round!

At the end of our stay they held on to our bags all day once we'd seen the whole of Oxford. This was free and no hassle.

We parked at the Park & Ride on your way into Oxford which then drops you off virtually outside the hotel so parking for the 2 days cost us less than £3.

Excellent hotel. Great staff. Really interesting hotel concept too.

P.S. Ladies, the light in the room was a bit rubbish to put your make on, thats my only complaint. I'm sure other rooms have better light, but that was my experience of the 3 cell roll top bath room.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (678)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Slovak first
Kuwait
Reviewed 19 April 2009

1- There is hotel extension which is not part of the Jail . So be sure to book in the jail not the extension .
2- Car parking is not free , 20 pound per day .
3- I have problem with the door keys . I went to the room and to the reception 8 time !!!
4- I booked through the net and they said that I should book through there website.
5- rooms are normal 4 to 5 star . bo theme on them .
6- Hotel is in the town center . so it is not escaping from the city as they say in there website

2 Thank AnasAlFalah
west yorkshire
Reviewed 17 April 2009

Well we’re a couple of old lags (+ dog) who have done our time at the Oxford Malaison, and what an experience it was. The hotel is the most unusual we have ever stayed in, great original features with 4* + luxury, right in the centre of town. We arrived with out booking and took a superior suite unfortunately this wasn’t in the ‘old’ building but we did have a balcony overlooking the entrance, the dog could not get over the fact that there were so many people in ‘his’ garden!
The breakfast in the cellar was quite amazing, more food than anyone could eat (dog loved the sausages) All in all a great short break in a great city and ab-fab hotel! Cheaper and better than flying off to Europe, defiantly staycation for us this year!

London, England
Reviewed 10 April 2009

This hotel is expensive, but worth every penny, mainly because of the unusual setting that makes it so different from any other hotel I have stayed in.
We found it easily after walking from the train station, and asked if we could check in early. The receptionist took my mobile number and said they would call when a room was available, which they did.
I had booked a superior room in the original cell block and I was glad I had paid the extra £50 as the room was big and the bathroom had a massive roll top bath as well as a large shower. There was a flat screen TV with DVD/CD player a large comfortable bed and a minibar stocked with reasonably priced drinks.
The rooms used to be prison cells so the windows are small but we had a lovely view of the castle tower and the excersize yard which is now a patch of grass and an outside drinking area for the bar/restaurant.
We were celebrating an anniversary and have been to Oxfprd before so we really had no intention of leaving the room and we didn't need to as it was so comfortable and we had everything we needed right there.
In the evening we wandered around the hotel going up to the top floor to look down over the iron staircases where the cell blocks were and we found the visitors room which is a dark warm bar where freshly made cocktails are served on large comfy sofas. I had a Flirtini for £11 and my boyfriend had a Bloody Mary for £7 which nearly knocked his head off because it was so spicy.
We ate in the hotel restaurant which was the only dissapointing part of our stay as the waitress seemed a little offish and my steak was dry, but my boyfriends monkfish was cooked perfectly.
In the morning we called reception and asked for some more coffee which was delivered promptly, but we didn't get the fresh milk delivered to the door that is promised. on check out when I mentioned this the receptionist knocked some money off of our minibar bill to make up for it.
The staff were really friendly and offered us maps of the local area so we could make the most of our last day in Oxford. We visited the castle and did the tour of the tower and the prison which was fun.
I cannot wait to stay in another Mal Maison. Book it and go NOW!!!!!!!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
Tamworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 April 2009

we stayed at the Mal oxford this weekend and had a superb stay. The venue was great and this novelty Hotel was raelly quirky. The service was great and the staff relly went out of there way to make you feel well looked after. Our room was in the house of correction, opposite the main prisom building.The room was light, airy, spacious and decorated in warm mink colours with plush fittings and contemporay dark wood furniture. Ideally located for exploring the wonderful city of Oxford.
Pros..... A real touch of luxury in a trully unique setting.

Cons.... Expensive, breakfast could of been included for the price. We also missed having Spa facillity's.

Tips.... use one of the 5 park and rides situated on the outskirts of Oxford, as parking in the city is limited and expensive, The bus from Thornhill park and ride drops and collects literally right outside the hotel.

look out for the sunday night promotions when you can stay in the hotel for next to nothing if you spend £75 in the brassiere.

London
Reviewed 1 April 2009

I stayed here for 1 night with my husband to celebrate my birthday. We booked their 'Porridge Deal' on the website which entitled us to pay £1 for the room if we spent £75 in the restaurant. This in itself was a bargain as the hotel is a good enough 4 star and I guess has the novelty factor of having been a prison.
The check in staff were friendly and the process took about 5 minutes and our car was valet parked. My husband had arranged for a bottle of champagne and that was already in our room on arrival.
The room was as expected, the only thing I didn't expect was the very small and very very hard bed! I have stayed in 2 other Malmaisons and they both had reasonable sized beds and comfortable beds, certainly not rock hard like this one. The other disappointment was the lack of toiletries in the bathroom. Maybe they can no longer afford body lotion, hair conditioner and mouth wash or maybe it is just this Malmaison?!
And I know that the intention is to have mood lighting and I enjoy this style but they should include a lighted mirror in the bathroom for us ladies to apply make up and I guess so the guys can shave properly.
Our dinner was booked for 8pm and the food was all very tasty. The waitresses were very chatty and well able to describe all dishes on the menu. We were definitely a lot more impressed with the food than the accomodation. The mussels were beautiful. The bread and butter pudding was gorgeous and the cheese trolley was fantastic. The restaurant was full too and this was a Sunday night so I would advise booking in advanced of your stay.
Location wise, it was difficult to find while driving though I enquired from a 'friendly' traffic warden and he explained how to get there. The location is however good for shopping in Oxford.
All in all a good base if you want to go shopping at Bister outlet stores. We wouldn't however book this hotel for full price, though if they offer the same deal again, I would consider it. If I could give it 3.5 as a rating, I would.

Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Hippotours
UK
Reviewed 22 March 2009

Just a few minutes walk from the station and the High Street - it's past as a Victorian prison wondrously evident - many of the hotel rooms still have the cell doors and the corridor of the main wing - used for filming The Italian Job, Porridge and Bad Girls amongst others - is quite spectacular.
Room modern in appearance and very comfortable. Continental breakfast luxuriously packaged and thoughtfully arranged.
We paid £109 for a shower/bath - but in hindsight would have saved £10 on a shower-only room as the hot water in the bath ran out very quickly. Also there was no loo-brush.
Staff were very welcoming - the receptionist took us directly to our room - and even had the unusual sight of morris dancers strutting their stuff outside as we were checking out!
Overall - worth a second visit.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple