“Small and friendly.”
Review of Mansfield College

Mansfield College
Ranked #83 of 181 things to do in Oxford
More attraction details
Owner description: Mansfield College, one of the smallest of the University's colleges, is ideally situated in a quiet and leafy part of central Oxford. The College is pleased to be able to offer accommodation in student bedrooms during the vacation periods. The accommodation consists of a choice between traditional student study bedrooms with shared bathroom facilities (singles and twins) or more modern, single en-suite rooms. All accommodation offered is located on the main College site. There are no parking facilities available at the College. All rooms are fully equipped with bed linen, towels and tea and coffee making facilities. College guests can use wifi provided by The Cloud, with the first four hours for free. The College offers a full English and continental breakfast served in the College Crypt. The Crypt café and bar with terrace also offers the opportunity to enjoy a relaxing meal and drinks in relaxed surroundings. We look forward to welcoming you and your guests to Mansfield.
Thornton Cleveleys, United Kingdom
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Small and friendly.”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

This college is small but the staff and everyone you meet there are really friendly and always willing to help. The quad and building, although not as grandiose as other Oxford colleges are none-the-less beautiful and atmospheric and the grounds aren't super busy like some of the other colleges since the site is about 5 minutes out of the centre. The food is excellent and really varied. Worth a visit.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Rosy K
MansfieldCollege, Conference Assistant at Mansfield College, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for reviewing Mansfield College on Tripadvisor.

I am delighted to hear that you found us to be friendly and helpful, and that you thought the food excellent.

Mansfield is a small but friendly college, and we are in a great location for easy access to Oxford, I am glad that you enjoyed your stay.

Best wishes from the team at Mansfield

York, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Great Place”
Reviewed 13 February 2014

+ By far the best food in Oxford
+ Just out of the mad rush of the city centre, but not too far away
+ Really friendly staff

Visited January 2014
3 Thank Lukejcr
MansfieldCollege, Conference Assistant at Mansfield College, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review.

It is good to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and in particular thought that our food was the best in Oxford!

We hope that you will visit us again.

Best wishes from the Team at Mansfield
Lowell, Massachusetts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Experience Life at Oxford University”
Reviewed 19 January 2014

I wanted to stay at Oxford University on my trip to the area. I was only going to be there 2 nights, but I really thought it would be more interesting than staying at a hotel. I knew I would be staying in a dorm room so I kept that in mind with my expectations. The staff was very nice and answered all my questions and helped me transition into British customs. I had a room with two beds (a friend had hoped to join me, but her plans changed). The beds were twin beds and the linens were simple. My only frustration was the pillows which were very flat and small. I grabbed the one from the other bed to make it more comfortable. The room was bare- no television provided. The bathrooms were in the hall. The sink and tub/shower were in a room separate from the toilet. When I had to use the toilet I would have to go to another room to wash my hands.
Each morning they served a full breakfast. The staff in the dining room was very nice and the food was great. Since it was between terms, there may have been reduced options, but I was able to get the breakfast I wanted. The Porter was very nice and gave me some tips on where to go and what to see. The College was in walking distance of the University buildings and museums. The wifi was free, but spotty. You had to login to a webpage each time you used it. Sometimes it would remember me and worked better on my smartphone than on my laptop. Since my trip was in winter, I didn't worry about AC. The heat worked perfectly and my room was very comfortable.

Visited January 2014
MansfieldCollege, Conference Assistant at Mansfield College, responded to this review, 30 October 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review on Trip Advisor, feedback is always welcome.

Our twin rooms are all traditional student rooms with shared bathroom facilities, our en-suite rooms are more modern. I'm sorry you found the pillows uncomfortable and glad you were able to resolve this by using the second, we have spare blankets and pillows available in the Porter's Lodge.

I am really pleased that you enjoyed your breakfast, we have a well earned reputation for excellent food!

I hope that we can welcome you back to Mansfield again soon.

With best wishes from the Team at Mansfield.
Canberra, Australia
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 65 helpful votes
“If you can stay elsewhere ... Do!”
Reviewed 6 September 2013 via mobile

This college is not designed to accommodate conferences particularly well. On the hottest week in summer it has no air conditioning and windows can't be opened. It's toilet facilities are beyond awful ( men have more opportunity) and the food tried hard but failed. Avoid it.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank RubaSkala
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay at Mansfield.

We have only recently started updating our trip advisor page, so I am sorry I have been unable to address your feedback sooner.

I am sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay with us. We offer student style accommodation and unfortunately the weather in the UK is rarely hot enough to warrant the regular use of air conditioning, which is why we haven't installed it throughout college.

The widows are designed to restrict from opening fully, as with other guest accommodation this is for health and safety.

I'm pleased say that the bathrooms have been refurbished since your last visit and are very modern and of a high standard.

The catering team do try hard to provide choice and quality, we do value the opinions of our customers and I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion.

With best wishes from the team at Mansfield.
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Mansfield College lodgings”
Reviewed 4 September 2013

I am right now staying at the lodgings in Mansfield College. I've opted for the single room with shared bathroom and toilets.

Positives: Clean, neat and comfortable room. Comfortable mattress. Spacious. The room has a little washbasin inside. Coffee and tea facility. Reasonable price. Very substantial breakfast in beautiful surrounds.

Negatives: Other room guests can be noisy and there is little or no soundproofing. Floor boards squeak loudly each time the people upstairs walk around. Voices can be heard very clearly from room upstairs and corridors etc. Right now, as I type, a couple with a south asian accent are talking very loudly while stomping down the stairs. Last night there was a group of drunken women laughing and squealing, probably returning from a night out? One can literally hear everything that goes on, and the sounds reverberate and echo, creating an almost theatrical effect. Not so good if you wish to rest or sleep.

The best thing? The Porter's Lodge. The people there are wonderfully helpful. You can ask them about anything!

Overall: I would've rated this average, but for the wonderful Porter's Lodge and the substantial breakfast. Hence, this gets a very good rating from me. Especially good if you are on a budget and attending a conference here. Just remember to bring earplugs!

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Dawn-joy L
Thank you for leaving feedback for us on the Tripadvisor website.

I have only just started to update our tripadvisor page, so I am sorry this response is delayed.

Thank you for your positive comments, they endorse what we are trying to provide here at Mansfield.

Thank you also for your negative comments, all feedback is welcome. We have a mix of traditional and modern accommodation in College. I am sorry that you had a disturbed sleep whilst staying with us.

We get a lot of positive feedback about our Porter's! Thank you I will pass this on to them.

I hope that you will consider staying at Mansfield again in the future.

With best wishes from the Mansfield Team.