“Good Deal for Oxford”

Five Mile View Guest House
Ranked #20 of 85 Oxford B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Room overlooking the street was rather hot, kind of plain. Breakfast was good. Straight bus ride into downtown Oxford and sufficient off-street parking so we could drive into the country (Blenheim Palace, the Cotwolds). Good talk with other guests, visiting scholars.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Renee R

Reviewed 7 December 2013

Stayed here for one night before an early start the next morning.

The room had a flatscreen TV with coffee and tea making facilities. There was a small en suite bathroom. The double bed was nice and comfy.

It was good value for a night's stay, but if you were staying longer than a weekend you'd probably want a bigger room with a few more perks in it.

I was unable to sample breakfast as I had to leave early, but the kind woman who runs this B&B allowed me to help myself to a muffin and yoghurt on my way out.

The only niggle I have is that as you are next to a busy main road, every time a lorry, bus or heavy vehicle went by the house would shake and vibrate for a while after. Which I guess can't be helped, to be fair.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 November 2013

My wife and I were visiting a relation in Oxford so having read some reviews on boarding houses around the Oxford area we thought we would give the five mile view a try, from the time we arrived to departure we were looked after, the bedroom was just right comfortable bed tea and coffee and biscuits in room good nights sleep, THEN breakfast what a treat everything you could wish for beautifully cooked English, juice, coffee and toast.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank looking4value1947751
Reviewed 26 October 2013

My Wife and I were treated to a day out in Oxford to be shown round by our Grandaughter, who is studying for her Masters at Teddy College Oxford. We were booked into a guest house called Five Mile View, having been warned about Oxford traffic, and lack of parking, we turned up at the guest house about 6 hours early. They were apologetic that the room wasn't ready, but were quite happy for us to park up and use the bus into town. All very reasonable I thought, the landlady Marilyn coming across as a super helpful person. We had a long and very exhausting day, followed by a fabulous meal with charming company. We then went back to the guest house. Our room was very clean, very well equipped, with a very small but completely usable en-suite. We had an excellent night, haven't slept so well in years, but that could be because of all the stairs we had climbed during the day! At 8 o'clock we went down to the breakfast room, and had what I consider to be the best English fry-up breakfast I've had in a very long time. Very well cooked and served with a smile by a most helpful lady! All in all an excellent guest house that could put several of the larger hotel chains to shame with its personal service!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Davegwm
Reviewed 6 October 2013

This is a lovely B and B on Banbury road. Knowing Banbury road I knew there would be traffic noise but this is made up for by the fact your next to a bus stop saving the hassle of trying to drive into Oxford (which is almost impossible and parking is stupidly expensive). I was given a friendly reception. The room was spacious and perfectly clean, although a little outdated. Bed was comfortable. The bathroom was small but served its purpose. Towels, although clean are rather worn and there was no hair dryer to my knowledge. Internet connection was great. The breakfast was lovely and there was a good choice available. Overall a really pleasant stay and I'd go again.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Terri B
Reviewed 1 September 2013

Owners were lovely and very helpful. Breakfast was great. The room we stayed in was a little on the small side, particularly the bathroom, but this was fine for just one night's stay. We thought the bed seemed a little hard at first but it was actually very comfortable and we slept very well on it. The B and B was a little outside the city centre but on a main bus route. They run every 5 mins and it takes less than 10 mins to get into the city centre so no real issue at all. I really wouldn't let the location put you off at all. Overall a very good place to stay for a night or two.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 August 2013

We recently stayed at 5 Mile View Guest House, and it was a perfect location - out of the centre, however only a short bus ride to town centre or Bicester. We stayed in one of the family rooms, accommodation a little dated however doesn't effect the stay in anyway, the room was an extremely good size room.. King size bed for myself and husband and a double bed for my little one with still plenty of floor space. It opened out onto the garden with patio doors and had outside seating. The family who ran the accommodation were extremely friendly/helpful. We would definitely go back (looking at going back near Christmas).

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family