“A Nice Find”
Review of Rewley House

and 1 more site!
Rewley House
Reviewed 29 May 2013

Really enjoyed our stay at Rewley House. Excellent location with a lovely view overlooking Wellington Square. Our room was clean, spacious and well equipped. The staff were pleasant and helpful in letting us check in early. Overall value for money.

Room Tip: Older people may not find the top floor suitable as there is no lift.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Helen F
There are newer reviews for Rewley House

Reviewed 21 April 2013

After extensive research into Oxford accommodation options, I selected Rewley House for my visit to Oxford in April 2013 and stayed in a standard single room. I knew that I was making a trade-off of frills for price and not to expect a full service hotel. However, my experience in this type of accommodation is limited, so it's difficult to compare my stay at Rewley House to anything but traditional hotel.

I liked:
1. Cost - while still approximately $100 CAD/night, without breakfast, is definitely a lower cost option compared to other hotels in the Oxford city centre.
2. Location - approximately a 10-minute walk to the Oxford city centre, but removed from the main streets, so it is a quiet area; many shops and restaurants in the Oxford city centre which are easily accessible from Rewley House
3. Staff - were responsive and helpful, both before I made the reservation and during my stay. I had considered other Oxford student housing options through UniversityRooms.co.uk, but I liked that I could speak directly with the staff at Rewley House, rather than with a central booking office.
4. Free WiFi included
5. Room - quite spacious, with room for a bed, dresser, couch and a desk.

I didn't like:
1. Bed - was not very comfortable. The mattress was very hard.
2. Bathroom - very large, but with an odd layout (e.g. the towel bar was not within arms reach of the tub).
3. Location - while located close to the city centre, it is still a 10-minute walk away and the route for this walk is very quiet, especially at night, which can be a bit disconcerting while travelling solo (not that I ever felt unsafe though).

The building that my room was in a was a mixed-use building with offices on the first two floors and residences on the top floor. The building itself was very quiet. I only saw two other people in the building the whole time I was there.

Overall, I would rate the accommodation a bit better than average (3), but not quite up to very good (4), so I wish I could give a rating of 3.5.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Wanderluster2
Reviewed 6 April 2013

I was needing a place to stay overnight in Oxford before attending a seminar at the Ashmolean Museum, and Rewley House was perfect for this. OK, it wasn't luxurious, but it was clean, comfortable, warm and perfectly located. All I needed really! Given the prices for similar rooms in the area, I was pleasantly surprised. Only complaint would be the noisy bin lorry which came trundling into the square at about 8am and started collecting glass bottles from the bins (I was next door to the catering block) - but it wasn't really Rewley House's fault, and it wasn't a problem as I was already up and about by then anyway! I'd certainly recommend it to anyone needing to be in the area for a few days.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank mthmayne
Reviewed 11 March 2013 via mobile

Enjoyable stay at Rewley House. Is made up of several town houses split into en suite bedrooms and is part of the university campus. Excellent quiet spot overlooking nice park area, but very centrally located. Less than 5 min walk to town centre. Not very well sign posted though so keep your eyes peeled! Rooms were clean, spacious and comfortable. Clearly recently refurbed throughout and all to a high standard. BUT, this was a superior room, standard rooms were not so nice my friend stopped in one as no more superior were available and it was shabby! Parking a slight hindrance as we could only find a space on a carpark 10+ mins walk away , all parking in streets around hotel is permit only. Would have also enjoyed a later check out time as rooms needed to be vacated by 10 and the cleaners were on the dot waiting outside the room waiting at 9.59!. 12 would have given that little bit extra time to relax and come round. Reception VERY hard to get hold of, presumably as its technically not a hotel and is run by the Uni. Tried to contact about several issues with booking via late rooms and during our stay about a few things, and all to no answer!
Otherwise all good!

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank Ricky W
Reviewed 29 October 2012

It might be misleading to describe Rewley House as a hotel, because it is basically a very comfortable hostel designed primarily for people taking short courses of one sort or another. It is also much used by academics who need to spend a few days in Oxford on research projects and so on. The accommodation varies as to how modern the rooms are but all have either ensuite facilities or a private bathroom next door for one's exclusive use. There is a television in each room and tea and coffee-making facilities. I was very impressed by the friendly and helpful receptionists, who responded quickly to my concerns. I had no trouble with the wi-fi; you need to ask for a special code to make it work. The breakfast was excellent- plenty of choice of hot items and good sausages (always something to notice) with a variety of pastries, toast, cereal and fruit etc. It's particularly convenient for Gloucester Green bus station and not too far from the rail station. A short walk brings you to the centre of Oxford and the Bodleian. If you are looking for the sort of hotel that has a lounge bar and leisure facilities such as a sauna, this isn't for you, but otherwise it's an ideal and inexpensive place to stay. Not surprisingly ,it gets booked up quickly. Unreservedly recommended

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
6  Thank chelseabunLondon
Reviewed 7 October 2012

After having read some of the other reviews, I was worried but had little choice of where to stay.
However, I should never have been worried. The location is great, but the room was brilliant. Could not fault it for anything. Similar rooms at more "posh" hotels will cost you at least TWICE as much. Highly recommended. Wish I had known about the place earlier.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank cityowl007
Reviewed 25 September 2012

I was pleasantly surprised with this place run by Oxford University's Dept of Continuing Education. My room (deluxe double) was spacious and well maintained with a wonderful view overlooking Wellington Square. It is withing walking distance of both the train and bus station and all of the places I wanted to visit including colleges, shopping, and museums. Staff were friendly and helpful with good knowledge of the area. I will surely stay here the next time I visit Oxford. As I was starting an online course during this visit, I appreciated the desk and WiFi available to quest. Hearty breakfast is available but I did not eat there.

Room Tip: Book early as these rooms go quickly. Prices vary as well for rooms which are very basic student roo...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo