“excellent value and location”
Review of Rewley House

and 1 more site!
Rewley House
Reviewed 15 July 2013

We booked one superior and a twin room for one night. Our expectations were exceeded. Rewley House is conveniently located in central location (we'd left the car at home so had no bother with parking), its a reasonable walk from the station for fit people, very close to restaurants in Little Clarendon St, easy access to colleges and the Sheldonian for a graduation, has really helpful reception staff, free wifi, a room in lobby to leave bags (a real boon in Oxford as there doesn't seem to be a left luggage facility available anywhere). Our rooms were very clean and well appointed, with fluffy towels and toiletries which would put some more expensive hotels I have experienced to shame, ample storage space, valuables safe, hairdryer, nice bathroom- certainly not as basic as I was expecting for the price. Would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: the top room was rather hot (not a disadvantage in the winter though)
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank scooterlexmark9

Reviewed 12 July 2013

Reasonable price, for Oxford! More a taxi ride from the station than a walk (15 mins with luggage). Prompt check-in. Our room was up several flights of stairs (no lift), pretty tiring with bags. Quiet, with a good view over the garden square. The room was beautiful, modern and clean, wide bed and immaculate bathroom (if a rather low-down over-bath shower). No air-con and very hot, so we had to keep the fan going. Free WiFi. Good, standard English breakfast, cheap, but at shared tables. The 8 - 9am breakfast slot is a bit brisk and inflexible, and the 10am check-out rather early. Ten minutes walk into town centre, so good location. All-round very good with minor quibbles.

Room Tip: You may want to avoid the climb to attic rooms.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Colin F
Reviewed 28 June 2013

We stayed here for just the one night. The lady on reception was very helpful, polite and friendly.(we left our bag there whilst we went out) We hadnt realised that our accommodation was to be round the corner. This was no problem. We had opted for a superior room, which turned out to be on the ground floor.. The room was spacious and well equiped . The bathroom was just fine... We had thought it may be a bit noisy with folks coming back, but it wasnt and there was no noise from the road... The outlook was lovely, overlooking the Square... The back garden , which we found the next morning was really smashing, somehwhere to sit if you have the time..... Breakfast was back in the main building. The dining room was super as was the service and breakfast.... We did have to sit on tables occupied by people who were on a course , which was rather nice actually.....The one thing we did have a gripe about was the cleaning. Although the room looked more than fine and it had abvoiusly been recently refurbished,I think the cleaner had forgotten to dust The dust on the tables, tele, in fact all surfaces was thick enough to leave marks on... and I never notice things like that normallyso it must have been bad.However ,this did not detract us from our stay.. and I would certainly stay again,,, it is so convenient There are a number of restaurant not 1 mins wak away and the New theatre about 5 mins... .... We also used the sevices of the web site '' park at my house' so we managed to leave the car about 10 mins walk from Rewley House and it cost us £10 for the 24 house..All in all a lovely stay

Room Tip: The downstairs superior room was suberb, Spacious and comfortable....
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank doodah56
Reviewed 4 June 2013

Our room was spacious and clean, with a great bath tub...necessary after days of walking. The three or four keys you get for opening front door, hallway door, and room door were a bit confusing but a great place to stay, especially when taking a weekend course! wifi was wonky though...no high bandwidth activity possible.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 May 2013

It's very conveniently located, if you're doing business in downtown Oxford, and
all the basics are there: the bathroom was clean and not as cramped as they often
are, the room was clean and recently remodeled, the wifi worked, and noise wasn't
an issue (except that I did notice when early risers left their rooms in the morning). One
minor issue: the water in the shower never got really hot (but it wasn't like I had to
take a cold shower, it's just that I like my showers hotter). Nothing fancy, but fine.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank AmumKabir
Reviewed 29 May 2013

Really enjoyed our stay at Rewley House. Excellent location with a lovely view overlooking Wellington Square. Our room was clean, spacious and well equipped. The staff were pleasant and helpful in letting us check in early. Overall value for money.

Room Tip: Older people may not find the top floor suitable as there is no lift.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Helen F
Reviewed 21 April 2013

After extensive research into Oxford accommodation options, I selected Rewley House for my visit to Oxford in April 2013 and stayed in a standard single room. I knew that I was making a trade-off of frills for price and not to expect a full service hotel. However, my experience in this type of accommodation is limited, so it's difficult to compare my stay at Rewley House to anything but traditional hotel.

I liked:
1. Cost - while still approximately $100 CAD/night, without breakfast, is definitely a lower cost option compared to other hotels in the Oxford city centre.
2. Location - approximately a 10-minute walk to the Oxford city centre, but removed from the main streets, so it is a quiet area; many shops and restaurants in the Oxford city centre which are easily accessible from Rewley House
3. Staff - were responsive and helpful, both before I made the reservation and during my stay. I had considered other Oxford student housing options through UniversityRooms.co.uk, but I liked that I could speak directly with the staff at Rewley House, rather than with a central booking office.
4. Free WiFi included
5. Room - quite spacious, with room for a bed, dresser, couch and a desk.

I didn't like:
1. Bed - was not very comfortable. The mattress was very hard.
2. Bathroom - very large, but with an odd layout (e.g. the towel bar was not within arms reach of the tub).
3. Location - while located close to the city centre, it is still a 10-minute walk away and the route for this walk is very quiet, especially at night, which can be a bit disconcerting while travelling solo (not that I ever felt unsafe though).

The building that my room was in a was a mixed-use building with offices on the first two floors and residences on the top floor. The building itself was very quiet. I only saw two other people in the building the whole time I was there.

Overall, I would rate the accommodation a bit better than average (3), but not quite up to very good (4), so I wish I could give a rating of 3.5.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo