“We would stay here again - no hesitation”
Review of Gables Guest House

Gables Guest House
Ranked #13 of 81 Oxford B&B and Inns
Barnsley, United Kingdom
“We would stay here again - no hesitation”
Reviewed 29 December 2013

Cosy, comfortable, welcoming and clean. Our room was lovely with a view over the large rear garden. The room was nicely furnished with quality furniture, bed linen and towels. Sally the landlady is very friendly and helpful. I'm only sorry that we could only stay for two nights as we would have loved to have worked our way through the breakfast menu, but, that could have taken a fortnight as there is so much choice. All the food is freshly cooked to order - a real treat. We would visit Oxford again just to stay at the Gables.

Room Tip: I think we were in room 3 - it had a lovely view over the rear garden
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Graham J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Turkish first
Warwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 December 2013

I've been staying here a couple of nights a week for the last few months whilst working away from home, and although I don't have much experience of guest houses, I have to say, I could not have asked for a more perfect place to stay. I would normally opt for a Holiday Inn or similar but hotel prices in Oxford are so shocking that I found myself seeking alternative options.

I think I've stayed in pretty much every room in my time there and they are all spotlessly clean and exceptionally comfortable. I know some reviews have said that the downstairs room is noisy, but having stayed in it a number of times, I can honestly say that it hasn't been my experience as I've had an excellent nights sleep without exception.

Breakfast is great too. There is an extensive choice of fruit, cereals, yoghut and pastries on offer, plus Sally will cook pretty much anything you want to order.

I'm moving on now as I've managed to find some permanent accomodation, but I've loved staying here and will greatly miss my chats with Sally over breakfast. I'd highly recommend it to anyone visiting Oxford for business or pleasure; my only tip would be...make sure you book early as rooms sometimes get snapped up really quickly.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank K4Karen
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 November 2013

I stayed for 1 night. My room was excellent, comfortable extremely clean and with a very good hospitality tray. The free wifi worked well. Breakfast was cooked to order and again was very good. Sally gave me a free map and details of bus routes etc on arrival.

There is off-road parking. There is a bus stop very close to the guest house or it is a short walk to the main stop at a small shopping precinct nearby. The buses are frequent and take you straight into Oxford it is £3.30 return. Don't bother trying to access Oxford by car. From what I could see 2 hours of parking was £4.00!

I also left my book in the room and Sally was gracious enough to post it back to me.

This guesthouse is highly recommended and is also well priced.

Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank cdchess
Reviewed 25 November 2013 via mobile

My partner and I have just returned from a 2 night stay at this delightful bed and breakfast, we were met by the lovely landlady Sally and she made our stay very pleasurable. The breakfasts are to die for and the eggs Benedict with smoked salmon is a must, although the full English would be hard to beat which we had in our first morning. Sally gave us tips on travelling into Oxford and recommendations on where to eat round and about, she's a very lovely lady and I can see why there are so many excellent comments on here she really makes you feel at home.
The room was so comfortable we could quite easily have stayed there all weekend if we didn't have such a packed weekend planned.
Would highly recommend this to anyone wanting a 5 star b & b experience as this is exactly what this is, you won't be disappointed.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lauralulumax
Essex, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I stayed for two nights after reading the positive reviews and I was not disappointed. My room was lovely overlooking the garden. Sally welcomed me with a cup of tea and was very helpful in advising me where the bus stop was (right outside) and where the best places to eat were. The breakfast was gorgeous - a fantastic choice:) I would definetley stay there again next time I go to Oxford and would recommend to my friends.

Room Tip: All rooms are good!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Stayed for four nights and had a lovely room. Choice of breakfast was great. Sally was welcoming and recommended the Trout Inn for a meal (which was lovely). Spotless room with view of garden. Would certainly stay again when in Oxford. Thank you so much.

Room Tip: Room 2 was lovely
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 September 2013

We booked two rooms; one for us and one for our son and daughter in law who were on a flying visit from Brisbane and who had just landed. Sally was very helpful and had no problem with providing a wheat free, dairy free vegetarian breakfast for one of our party. The rooms were attractive and the beds very comfortable. The en-suite bathroom was very compact but worked well with a good shower. There were many nice touches such as plenty of tea, coffee and biscuits in the room and nice towels and even face flannels in the bathroom. We also found two bath robes!
My only concern was the price. We think £85 per night is expensive in the UK and is the reason I have not given it 5 stars. That said, I know Oxford is an expensive area and I think this is not out of line. We will be happy to recommend it to our friends in the future

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Godwit
Sallytea, Owner at Gables Guest House, responded to this review, 16 September 2013
Hello, thank you for your kind review and for noting that we do try to go the extra mile to make sure our guests' special needs are met. Oxford is a very special, beautiful city and visited twelve months of the year by visitors from all over the world. Prices therefore do vary between high and low season. Please look out for our special winter offers and we hope to see you again soon.