“It's a long walk to Oxford.”
Review of Gables Guest House

Gables Guest House
Ranked #11 of 82 Oxford B&B and Inns
“It's a long walk to Oxford.”
Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed at Gables for two nights. Our room was on the top floor (in the gables). It was quite cramped for floor space (a backpacker I am not. We had two large suitcases and little place to put them), but the floor plan was used nicely--there were two chairs beneath the window, and the shower was in its own little closet.

We chose to walk into Oxford city center both days, and it is not the best walk: about 2 miles along a busy road in a tired part of town. We could have taken the bus, but we were up for the walk and wanted to save the bus fare. The joke was, "We've got to walk until we get to where we'll walk for fun."

Breakfast was good, and there were numerous menu options. The host was very considerate.

This was the least favorite of the five bed and breakfasts we stayed at across the country on our trip, but it was still a nice place and a good experience.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Sallytea, Owner at Gables Guest House, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Hello, thank you for taking the trouble to write the review and we are glad you enjoyed your stay at Gables. We are situated in one of the best residential areas of Oxford, but do advise guests to take the bus into the city, which runs every ten minutes, as the walk is a bit boring and better to save your feet for the historical sights. Our rooms do vary in size, so do look out for special offers.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Turkish first
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 March 2014

My husband and I were only staying for one night but we could not fault the whole experience - we received a very warm welcome, the room was spotlessly clean and very pleasant. Breakfast was amazing - it was very hard to choose from the extensive menu.
We would have no hesitation in recommending this lovely b&b and will certainly put it at the top of our favourite places to stay !
With many thanks.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Brenda C
Lancashire
Reviewed 24 March 2014

We made a late booking and our room, the refurbished twin room at the top of the house, was cosy and comfortable but my husband at 6'4 struggled a bit with the restricted height, especially in the bathroom. There was a shower room nearby that he could use.
Breakfast was excellent. Sally, the owner, is very good at creating a welcoming environment.
The Gables is on the direct bus route into Oxford and it only takes about 15 minutes so the location is perfect. The place where we wanted to eat, the Fishes, was closed for refurbishment so we ate at the local Italian restaurant which looks like a café but was actually very good.
We will definitely stay at the Gables again when visiting Oxford but would book a different room.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank susanlois333
Sallytea, Owner at Gables Guest House, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Hello, thank you for your review, we are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. The other rooms and bathrooms in the house do have 7'6" ceilings, the benefit of an older house. We look forward to seeing you at a future date.
Hertfordshire
Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

Sally is a very pleasant & smiley person. We were given a much appreciated coffee on arrival accompanied by helpful advise. Our room (no 3) was delightful and overlooked the pretty back garden. We left our car behind & took the no 4 bus into Oxford. The bus stop is outside the property and only costs £3.30 return. We went to 'the fishes' restaurant on our second nights stay (£4 each way by taxi). Breakfast is excellent. So many choices all cooked freshly. We would recommend 'Gables Guest House' for its location, value for money, breakfasts and the host herself!!!!!

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank magsHertfordshire
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 January 2014

we stayed for a night the owners were very welcoming , rooms clean very comfortable and good facilities. Breakfast was brilliant. We were made very welcome despite our early check in we will be back and recommend this place

Room Tip: we had an upper twin room which had a lovely view over countryside and room had a lovely bathroom
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sheenac m
Barnsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 December 2013

Cosy, comfortable, welcoming and clean. Our room was lovely with a view over the large rear garden. The room was nicely furnished with quality furniture, bed linen and towels. Sally the landlady is very friendly and helpful. I'm only sorry that we could only stay for two nights as we would have loved to have worked our way through the breakfast menu, but, that could have taken a fortnight as there is so much choice. All the food is freshly cooked to order - a real treat. We would visit Oxford again just to stay at the Gables.

Room Tip: I think we were in room 3 - it had a lovely view over the rear garden
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Graham J
Warwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 December 2013

I've been staying here a couple of nights a week for the last few months whilst working away from home, and although I don't have much experience of guest houses, I have to say, I could not have asked for a more perfect place to stay. I would normally opt for a Holiday Inn or similar but hotel prices in Oxford are so shocking that I found myself seeking alternative options.

I think I've stayed in pretty much every room in my time there and they are all spotlessly clean and exceptionally comfortable. I know some reviews have said that the downstairs room is noisy, but having stayed in it a number of times, I can honestly say that it hasn't been my experience as I've had an excellent nights sleep without exception.

Breakfast is great too. There is an extensive choice of fruit, cereals, yoghut and pastries on offer, plus Sally will cook pretty much anything you want to order.

I'm moving on now as I've managed to find some permanent accomodation, but I've loved staying here and will greatly miss my chats with Sally over breakfast. I'd highly recommend it to anyone visiting Oxford for business or pleasure; my only tip would be...make sure you book early as rooms sometimes get snapped up really quickly.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business