Becket Guest House
Orbitz.com
US$140
US$120
  • Pool
Holiday Inn Oxford(Oxford)(Great Value!)
US$104
Orbitz.com
  • Breakfast included
US$126
Official Site
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 21 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed in this guest house for one night. It was about the cheapest accommodation going and the awful trip advisor reviews didn’t really put me off due to the fact we only wanted somewhere to get our heads down for the night after a boozy night around Oxford. Due to the awful state of the place I assumed that the owners would be used to groups of lads or girls using the accommodation as I really cant imagine it would appeal to anyone else. If I had taken my wife here I am of no doubt she would have refused to stay as its’ like the little house of horrors! The light switches were so old I can’t imagine the place has been rewired since the 30’s, and there’s no way they would pass a safety inspection.

We booked in around 3pm then returned at around 6pm to quickly get changed before going back out. We were told off repeatedly upon our return for being noisy, like we were a bunch of teenagers in Magaluf, rather than two guys in their 30’s and two in their 50’s. We were being a bit loud, but the attitude of the staff was pretty poor in the way they spoke to us considering we were paying customers, and it wasn’t like it was 3am in the morning. Then to cap things off a friend who wasn’t staying with us at the premises but who had come back to the guest house while we got changed, got our rooms mixed up and picked a key up that had been left in a door thinking it was our room and we had forgot to pick it up. The owner of the guest house then call me on her phone accusing us of stealing the key and demanding that we brought it back at once otherwise they would kick us out. At this point we were only round the corner from the guest house so I returned it immediately with an apology and an explanation of why had happened. However the response was further accusations of dishonesty, although what we would do with a key to an empty room is beyond me. We returned that evening and made sure we kept the noise to a minimum to avoid any further confrontation with the staff. We then left in the morning without having breakfast as the whole situation made us feel as though there would be a bad atmosphere if we had hung around.

The staff here really need to work on their customer service skills. They obviously don’t like to accommodate groups of lads or girls and don’t have the interpersonal skills to deal with these groups of people. However on the other hand the accommodation is in such a poor state of repair that if they want to appeal to a better class of customer they really need to give the place a complete refurb. Either way in its current form this guest house will appeal no one and I would advise anyone thinking of staying here to find themselves alternative accommodation.

automatically logged, monitored and/or recorded for legal purposes.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank jamesjamiebarlow
Reviewed 13 June 2013

The place was clean and offered a good breakfast. The location is so convenient and the owners were very accommodating. This is a simple place, nothing fancy but nothing missing either. For a good nice sleep, a shower and a breakfast, the price was very good.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Lalotte G
Reviewed 12 December 2012 via mobile

The place needs a major overhaul. My room had a radiator, an electric heater and a towel heater. With the electric heater on full blast I managed to get my room warm. However, the towel heater, with its suspect looking wiring never managed to heat the en-suite. The room had single glazed sash windows. These really need to be updated with double glazed sash windows. The savings in their hearing bill would quickly recoup the cost.
As another reviewer commented all the furniture and fittings were the very cheapest and some looked secondhand. Cleanliness wasn't great with cobwebs and spiders up the walls and worn out sheets.
The decor was in much need of repair and painting. Everything had a very DIY SOS feel, especially the en-suite. Really cannot fathom why they painted the bathroom brown.
They also have some weird check in times which normally wouldn't work for anyone on a business trip. I very rarely get to my hotel before 6pm.
It would be a 1 Star review but the hosts were welcoming and had fitted wifi. However, given the fact that you can get a perfectly acceptable hotel in London for the same money then I think this is very over priced.

• Stayed: December 2012
3  Thank Woodlikesbeer
Reviewed 9 November 2012

Good location, 5 minutes walk away from train station and around 10 minute walk to the town centre. Variety of breakfast choices, both continental and traditional full English breakfast. The rooms are a good size and they have portable radiators which you can turn on and off as you wish. The cleanliness of the sheets wasn't as good as expected. However staff were all very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Book extremely early as rooms fill up quickly
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Shanna S
Reviewed 9 October 2012

The most horrid place I have ever almost stayed in.I left. See the previous review. He isn't exaggerating! I thought dumps like this no longer existed. This place needs to be inspected and shut down. I can add little to the previous reviews. I couldn't find anywhere else to stay after my meeting. So I left and struggled home on the train. A long and complex journey.which was the reason I had wished to stay over. Preferable to attempting to stay in that place. Does anyone live on the premises?

• Stayed: October 2012