“Only for the desperately hungry, with cast iron stomachs.”

The Longwall Beefeater
Ranked #495 of 686 Restaurants in Oxford
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Beefeater has never been up to a quality, preferring instead to go for down to a price and a cheap one at that. I am sure that they have kitchen staff who pretentiously call themselves `chefs` in the same way that I could call myself a gerbil - it wouldn`t automatically make me a gerbil !! Nor does the title `chef` certainly in the case of Beefeater at Garsington Road in Oxford imply any talent in catering. A canteen dinner lady would make a better fist of cooking something decent, than the cheap and cheerful (even though they have nothing to be cheerful about) outlets such as Beefeater, Chef and Brewer and others attached to Premier Inns and other budget hotel chains.

As an example of my experience, I ordered a double beefburger for a cost of about a tenner. It arrived after about ten minutes with a full complement of skinny chips. I had four chips which took seconds to consume and made a start on the double beefburger. It was stone cold. It obviously hadn`t been cooked fresh and had been plated and standing before I ordered it. I thought it pointless to complain, as their culinary skills were such that they would only have microwaved it and probably let it stand again. So I manfully ate it (I do impressions as well).

For a couple of days afterwards, I wished I hadn`t.

They can`t manage the basics and they should be ashamed to call themselves caterers.

1  Thank gavioli

Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

Awesome people, great service and the food exceeded my expectations. Nothing was too much trouble for the team & they made it a great night out.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

Having been left waiting in the quiet teatime Ock mill in Abingdon I decided to eat elsewhere and ended up here at dinnertime.
Because it was later this place was heaving: Nevertheless I was quickly shown to my table and served by a smiling & charming Shannon: God knows how she managed to be so happy with the mayhem happening all round!
My steak was bought quickly. It was perfectly cooked I paid quickly and left: job done.
Very happy: only reason it's not excellent is because; in the end - it's a Beefeater!

Reviewed 30 April 2014

We arrived as a party of 6, 4adults 2children, we ordered drinks when being seated and finally got them 20mins later when we re ordered. The food took another 30 mins and it was ok. Why the wait there was hardly anyone in the restaurant. When we ordered dessert my grand daughter who had the fresh fruit fondue, received hers when we had all finished. The fruit went missing according to the waitress. I think managers need to come and do some under cover work to see what has gone wrong at this restaurant, it used to be so good but now if you complain your fobbed off with silly excuses. I looked to see if I could find head office number to put in a complaint, still trying.

Reviewed 7 April 2014

ate here on a Saturday night, very busy. They had a very extensive menu, and dined with two other guests. We all had something different and the food was very good, at a reasonable price. Special mention to you waitress Sharon, who was excellent and very friendly. A great place for couples / families or business meals. Will be returning next time I stay in Oxford.