“Rather a disappointment”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Fishers - CLOSED

Fishers
Good for: Local cuisine, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Oxfordshire
“Rather a disappointment”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

We were looking forward to a meal at Fishers, as it has had a good reputation in the past and I had never been. The interior of the restaurant is great - a bit quirky but interesting, and the waitress was welcoming and friendly.
Starters of crispy calamari with lemon mayonnaise and tempura king prawns with sweet chilli sauce looked great, and the calamari was excellent. However, the tempura batter on the prawns was soggy and unpleasant whilst the accompanying sweet chilli sauce had little sweetness to it and was just very fiery.
The main courses took a while to arrive, despite it being mid-week and not hugely busy, The fish and chips looked great and were good. A plate of seabream fillet was undercooked and the side order of chips seemed as if they had been reheated. The cod with pesto crust was not only the smallest sliver of cod I have ever seen but also over cooked and rubbery. It seemed strange that this tiny piece of fish should be served up with a basic rocket, parmesan and cherry tomato salad for £14.50, when the large piece of battered cod and chips with mushy peas was several pounds cheaper!
Puddings of Eton Mess and Chocolate Brownie were OK - the Eton Mess was incredibly sweet and sickly (even more than usual!).
Fish is an expensive food item these days and eating it in a restaurant isn't a 'budget' choice. It's also one of the hardest things to cook properly. However, Fishers is a fish restaurant and therefore you assume they know their stuff! I don't think we will be going back.

• Visited July 2014

Didcot, United Kingdom
“Very decent but pricey”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

It's not cheap, in fact, we went on a Groupon Deal which made it excellent value but I think that normally, it's on the high end. However everything that we had was delicious (the lobster especially!)

Visited August 2013
1 Thank mdf500
London, United Kingdom
“No flavour..”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

After reading rave reviews about this place me and my partner went there for an afternoon lunch. It was nothing special, in fact the 2 fish dishes we ordered were not even cooked as stated on the menu. One dish was said to be grilled, it arrived as a slimy piece of fish drenched in vinegar and capers and looked like it had been no where near a grill (more like microwaved). The other dish was also similar citing it would be served with salsa, again there were a few pieces of tinned tomatoes thrown on. Needless to say even the chips were pre salted when they arrived on our table. We didn't even look at the dessert menu. I really wanted to like this place but it was a total letdown.

Oxford
“Lovely evening out!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

We went here for my birthday and it was a perfect evening! Good service and delicious food! Would definitely go back!

• Visited June 2014
Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Massively disappointed!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

I recently decided to take someone special who was from out of oxford to Fishers as i'd heard it was amazing, but wow was i told wrong.

Our reservation hadn't been taken properly, so after the "oh you sure you booked in?" question, we where reluctantly taken to a table. our starters came and i had the Tempura Tiger prawns with sweet chilli sauce, with possibly the worst batter on the prawns i have ever tasted. With a heavy and almost gloopy texture. My friends Crispy fried squid was overly dry, and tasted oven baked rather than fried.

Believe it or not, my main was actually worse! I decided to have the Kilo of River Exe Mussels steamed with white wine, garlic & cream. For anyone reading this, DON'T! they where bland, lacked any flavor, and some leaving a distinct "aftertaste". As for the Chips i had as a side, they tasted like reheated chip shop chips gone cold, lacked any distinctive taste and where overly unpleasant (this being the first time I've EVER left any chips when eating a meal)

Overall i was very disappointed with every aspect of the meal and the experience i had with fishers, and strongly suggest you avoid at all cost.

• Visited July 2014