“The Real Oxford Experience”
Review of Keble College

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Oxford
Keble College
Canberra, Australia
“The Real Oxford Experience”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We booked to stay here just one night and requested a room either on the ground floor or with an elevator as this college only has 1 wing with an elevator. My friend finds stairs quite difficult to manage plus we had heavy baggage. Our request was met and we were warmly welcomed. Some of the students work there over vacation and a charming young man showed us to our room which were two adjoining with a shared bathroom. Rooms were very clean and comfortable although a little stark. A welcoming tray of various teas and coffee plus biscuits and bottled water was supplied.
The breakfast however although served in the majestic Great hall was below average but was made up for by the breathtaking atmosphere of the venue. Would not hesitate to recommend this to anyone looking to stay in Oxford

Room Tip: If you have trouble with stairs request a ground floor or the wing with the elevator
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kay A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Stayed at the college from Aug 28th-31st. Absolutely wonderful. Unfortunately we could only get the newer annex and the rooms are pretty spartan, however, they provide lots of tea, coffee, hot chocolate and biscuits. Breakfast is provided in the Great Hall and this is magical. Contrary to what others have said, I thought the breakfast was very good. As a vegetarian I was pleasantly surprised that vegetarian options are everywhere, including every pub. Keble College had vegetarian sausage, fruit, eggs, anything you could ask for breakfast. The location is less than ten minutes walk to the core of Oxford. There are restaurants, pubs, museums etc all within five minute walks. Ten minute walk to the Thames. The only drawback were the inconsiderate boorish convention goers. At 10AM the first morning, our son called up to our open window to request we bring his book down with us. I leaned out and said ok. As I was doing so, a well dressed man stormed up to my son and condescendingly said "do you mind, we are trying to film in here". My son apologized and said he didn't know there was something going on in the rooms in front of him. This gentleman then said "this is a college not a ...". Fair enough, but that night we were treated to doors banging to all hours. Convention goers were sitting directly under our window being loud and boisterous all night long. I woke at 4AM and it was still going on. Same the next two nights. I went out at one point to see what was going on and these were the same well dressed people who were attending the conference during the day. The majority were older professionals but obviously indifferent to the affect they were having on other guests. I found it ironic that the information pamphlet provided stressed keeping quiet after 10PM and being considerate of other guests. Nothing could be further from the truth. I was worried about my family getting home at midnight from the pubs, but needn't have bothered, the noise didn't start to much later. Despite this, it was a wonderful experience and would recommend it to anyone. Keble College, you need to make up your minds whether or not you want to cater to B&B guests or conventions. Unfortunately I'm sure I know the answer to that, which is too bad.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 August 2013

We stayed at Keble College over the bank holiday weekend, in the newer annexe rooms of the college. The college is absolutely lovely, especially when the sun was shining in the quad.

We probably should have stayed in the older part, as the new block felt like a typical student accommodation anywhere in the world - small, very basics rooms, with a tiny bathroom. Single camp beds were fairly comfortable, and a selection of toiletries are provided.

Unfortunately on the first night (Saturday) we were kept up through the night by some people having a party a few rooms away. We phoned down to the night porter but this seemed to make little difference.

However, as many other reviewers have said, the real highlight is having breakfast in the Great Hall. Although the food is pretty poor (hot breakfast and a few continental items), it is the magical setting that makes it a winner. Everyone was stopping to take photos after their meal at the long tables, and it was certainly an experience to remember.

The college is located in a good position, around 10/15 minutes away from the centre.

It is definitely a one-off experience to stay here, and we would recommend it.

Kurow
Reviewed 30 August 2013

We stayed in the older part of the college overlooking the Quad. the en suite room was spotless, well-equipped, and most comfortable. The atmosphere in the college is relaxed and steeped in history. Breakfast in the Great Hall, sitting at High Table, was an experience in itself. An army of waiting staff kept the table clear, the food was perfect and as much as we could eat! we stayed three nights, for less than any hotel, and i have to say this was the best overall experience i have had. The only slight disappointment was that there was no service during our time in the wonderful Chapel, as it was an out-of-term stay.

Room Tip: Don't skimp on the room choice - go for a room overlooking the Quad. worth the few pounds extra.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Suffolk, England
Reviewed 28 August 2013

We stayed on a Saturday night, in double rooms in the older part of the college, overlooking the quad. Pretty spartan rooms (but student accommodation, so pretty much as expected), but all very clean and with a nice pack of toiletries.

BUT trying to get to sleep was virtuallly impossible. From 11.30 until what felt like about 4am, a succession of party goers returned to their rooms, shouting, screaming, banging fire doors, with every sound reverberating around the quad. There should be notices everywhere asking for a bit of consideration - at one stage, I witnessed what looked like a scene from a particularly bad episode of East Enders. So go by all means, but take earplugs and possibly avoid Saturday nights.

Breakfast was pretty amazing, sitting in a vast Hogwarts-esque dining hall. Copious quantities of food and coffee, and very friendly staff.

West Cornwall, Connecticut
Reviewed 24 August 2013

Booked at Keble on the recommendation of someone in the know, when I was up for the Oxford Proms. Love the atmosphere; I was lucky to get a room in the older section and the feeling of the layers of its history added to the enjoyment. I liked the way everyone was polite, you were greeted and shown to your room, any questions were helpfully answered, and the dining hall at breakfast was out of this world. Room was clean, bigger than I expected, and just what I wanted - I dislike paying for unnecessary extras, so this suited me fine. Bed was comfortable, and by the end of the third day I was wistfully wishing I were a student staying for longer than just a few days. I won't hesitate to stay here again, and would recommend it to anyone who wants a good central place to stay that gives you value for every penny.

Room Tip: Book as early as you can for the chance to stay in the older, more atmospheric rooms. Mine was right...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Barnard Castle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights for a friends hen do. Gorgeous setting so convenient for everything. We were slightly disappointed to be I the more modern block, the arco building, but then they must just be the cheaper room allocations. Friendly porters, breakfast range was excellent, comfy clean rooms, nothing fancy as obviously they are student sets, but everything you'd need. Would recommend.

• Stayed August 2013