“A lovely stay at Keble!”
Review of Keble College

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Oxford
Keble College
“A lovely stay at Keble!”
Reviewed 6 October 2013

I was in Oxford for a conference a week before, and stayed at Mansfield College. I spent a week in Cardiff on another work assignment and returned to Oxford for a weekend of rest, relaxation and catching up with old friends. I decided to stay at Keble College instead, because of the good reviews here. I was not disappointed!

I have mild mobility difficulties (due to arthritic flares) and found it very trying lugging my heavy suitcase up and down three floors at Mansfield College, but at Keble, I requested for a room with a lift and was allocated one in the newer building. The folks at the Porters' Lodge were very kind and helpful, the room was spacious and overlooked the bicycle parking area, plenty of trees, birds chirping and I loved hearing the ringing bells! Not much noise from traffic. The little touches at Keble gave them the edge over the other college's lodgings. Clean, fluffy and quality towels, well considered toiletries - not just the usual shampoo, conditioner, bath gel/soap, but also body lotion too! The wifi worked well near the desk but lost connection when I took my laptop to the bed. I had to use my own long ethernet cable when in bed. A very small issue. The in-room coffee and tea provisions were also more ample, and though the breakfast wasn't as lavish, it was no less fulfilling and delicious.

Keble has a unique architecture which I personally love, the plethora of intricate details embedded in the interiors were fantastic to just gaze at! The dining hall is not very large but no less impressive - look up at the ceiling! Don't forget to visit the chapel too.

If ever I am back in Oxford, I will choose Keble to stay in again. Highly recommended for the budget traveler who wants to stay near the city centre in a beautiful environment and also wants some private creature comforts, decent disability access, no gravel to spoil your shoes or wheels of your suitcase, and without having to share the bathroom or loo with other travelers (who knows what filthy habits people can have?).

Room Tip: If you need a lift, ask ahead. You will get a room in the newer building without the view of the qua...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Dawn-joy L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Brussels
Reviewed 29 September 2013

The room carpet was filthy (looked like construction had taken place on it!), the mattress was lumpy and ancient, but the location was perfect -- a 10-minute walk from the conference I was there to attend and very quiet at night, despite leaving the window open. Take note, there's no in-room wi-fi and although the website says they provide hairdyers, you have to borrow them from the porter's lodge. There are plenty of electric outlets, though, a big desk at the window, and a perfectly acceptable wet room style bathroom -- but which had water pressure problems my first morning there. The hall is an amazing place for breakfast and the meal itself is quite acceptable -- both full English and cold buffet available and included in the place. The chapel is a keen reminder of the Oxford Movement with its (to me) over-the-top decoration and a mysteriously glowing 'Light of the World' Holman Hunt painting in a side chapel. I wandered in there at night when it was otherwise deserted and an organ scholar was practising the organ -- eerie and wonderful all at once! The porters were very helpful with directions and ordering a taxi for an early morning departure. Given the competition for rooms and prices in Oxford, this was fine -- but just don't have any illusions.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 September 2013

There is no better place to pretend you are an Oxford undergraduate than a stay here. I was lucky enough to get a large room overlooking the quad, with an en suite and even a little dressing room in between. My desk overlooked the Quad in the sunshine: I could happily have stayed here for 3 years or more. Everything was thought of, from toiletries to mineral water to biscuits with the tea-making facilities. All at reception were polite and attentive, ordering taxis and helping me with the wireless internet connection. Breakfast in the dining hall was amazing. It's not quite as grand as the 'Harry Potter Hall' at Christchurch, but almost as breathtaking. Outstanding food included fresh fruit salad; the full English beautifully cooked (not greasy); cereals; coffee; herb teas etc. Do note that there are of course no TVs or radios in the room. As a business woman travelling on her own I thought I'd mind, but in fact I found the peacefulness relaxing. I didn't want to go home.

Room Tip: Stay in the quad if you can as the view is wonderful and you get a real sense of history.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank celloconcert
Reviewed 24 September 2013 via mobile

Jut stayed here on a 2 day conference. Everything was perfect the location , the room the catering and te elderflower G+T served to us by a second year philosophy and theology student. I am now trying to persuade one of my children to apply here just so I can return some time !

• Stayed September 2013
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 24 September 2013

We stayed in a quadruple in the old section, overlooking the quad. Two connected rooms with en suite. Very well designed and with a perfect ambience of tradition and academic life. Made you want to go to uni again.... And the Dining hall was pure Hogwarts! Great experience, and a very good breakfast as well. Very friendly and helpful staff. Perfectly located.
Not the cheapest option perhaps, but an experience out of the ordinary. Highly recomended.

Room Tip: Go for rooms in the old buildings.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank SusMars
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 September 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for a hen weekend and I thought it was the perfect venue. Having a taste of what studying at Oxford would be like. Complete with a wonderful breakfast in the main hall and a lovely bar for evening drinks.

• Stayed September 2013
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 9 September 2013

My wife and I stayed in one of the dorms in Keble College and really enjoyed it. Our room was on the second floor facing the quad with a really nice view. The staff helped us with our luggage since we were on the second floor. Eating breakfast which was really good was located in the Great Hall which is an experience in itself. It is a short walk into town which will take less then 10 minutes.

Room Tip: Choose a room facing the quad.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple