“A real taste of Oxford”
Review of Keble College

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Oxford
Keble College
Montreal
“A real taste of Oxford”
Reviewed 19 October 2013

We were in Oxford for only one night and had found that most hotels were very expensive. Then we found that we could stay in the student residences of colleges and thought that this would be a real Oxford experience. And it was, indeed!
Keble is within walking distance from the bus (coach) station, and a little further away from the train station. It is located right in the center of the interesting part of the town. The short walk could be a bit tough on the wheels of the suitcases, though, because of the cobblestones. We heard that it could be problematic for people who want to park their cars, but for travellers by train or bus, it is convenient.
The staff at the porter lodge were very helpful at check-in and recommended an area with good and affordable restaurants nearby.
The room was very basic, as expected, but clean and with a very functional shower. We were in the old part of the college, with our window on the Liddon Quad. Very quiet night. When coming back from dinner, there were musicians rehearsing on the organ in the chapel. Magic moment that could not be experienced, had we been in a regular hotel...
But the real treat was the buffet breakfast in the great hall. We could think we were in a Harry Potter movie. Many people were rightfully taking pictures of their breakfast!
The internet wifi signal was too weak in our room, so we had to move our computer to the hall in front of the Porter's lodge to take our emails.
Our stay there was not cheap, but considering the special experience, and the price of hotels, it was worth it.

Room Tip: The streets around the college appear to be quiet at night. Not sure if it is worthwhile paying more...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Fairandmoderate

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 16 October 2013

To stay at Keble College is to experience a tiny bit of what it might be like to be a student there. The buildings themselves, centred around the quad, are beautiful and a breath-taking setting. Once you step through the very old doorway to the Porters Lodge an almost reverent hush descends on you. The rooms are definitely students rooms, so are fairly basic and relatively clean. No frills. The rooms facing the quad are quieter. Walking distance to town. And breakfast in the longest dining hall in Oxford is just a wonderful experience. Our kids imagined Hogwarts! The sense of history is great.

The only downside really was that the beds we had were awfully uncomfortable. You could feel the springs in the mattresses. But we didn't mind too much given the great place we were staying.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank AJCJTRAVEL
Sydney
Reviewed 8 October 2013

A delightful stay at Keble, excellent breakfast in Harry Potter like dining room and friendly helpful staff at Porter's lodge. Close to town shops as well. The only downside was not having wifi in the rooms - difficult for work. If you need to use the Internet in the room, you need to bring your own cable.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank MitzSydney
Reviewed 6 October 2013

I was in Oxford for a conference a week before, and stayed at Mansfield College. I spent a week in Cardiff on another work assignment and returned to Oxford for a weekend of rest, relaxation and catching up with old friends. I decided to stay at Keble College instead, because of the good reviews here. I was not disappointed!

I have mild mobility difficulties (due to arthritic flares) and found it very trying lugging my heavy suitcase up and down three floors at Mansfield College, but at Keble, I requested for a room with a lift and was allocated one in the newer building. The folks at the Porters' Lodge were very kind and helpful, the room was spacious and overlooked the bicycle parking area, plenty of trees, birds chirping and I loved hearing the ringing bells! Not much noise from traffic. The little touches at Keble gave them the edge over the other college's lodgings. Clean, fluffy and quality towels, well considered toiletries - not just the usual shampoo, conditioner, bath gel/soap, but also body lotion too! The wifi worked well near the desk but lost connection when I took my laptop to the bed. I had to use my own long ethernet cable when in bed. A very small issue. The in-room coffee and tea provisions were also more ample, and though the breakfast wasn't as lavish, it was no less fulfilling and delicious.

Keble has a unique architecture which I personally love, the plethora of intricate details embedded in the interiors were fantastic to just gaze at! The dining hall is not very large but no less impressive - look up at the ceiling! Don't forget to visit the chapel too.

If ever I am back in Oxford, I will choose Keble to stay in again. Highly recommended for the budget traveler who wants to stay near the city centre in a beautiful environment and also wants some private creature comforts, decent disability access, no gravel to spoil your shoes or wheels of your suitcase, and without having to share the bathroom or loo with other travelers (who knows what filthy habits people can have?).

Room Tip: If you need a lift, ask ahead. You will get a room in the newer building without the view of the qua...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Dawn-joy L
Brussels
Reviewed 29 September 2013

The room carpet was filthy (looked like construction had taken place on it!), the mattress was lumpy and ancient, but the location was perfect -- a 10-minute walk from the conference I was there to attend and very quiet at night, despite leaving the window open. Take note, there's no in-room wi-fi and although the website says they provide hairdyers, you have to borrow them from the porter's lodge. There are plenty of electric outlets, though, a big desk at the window, and a perfectly acceptable wet room style bathroom -- but which had water pressure problems my first morning there. The hall is an amazing place for breakfast and the meal itself is quite acceptable -- both full English and cold buffet available and included in the place. The chapel is a keen reminder of the Oxford Movement with its (to me) over-the-top decoration and a mysteriously glowing 'Light of the World' Holman Hunt painting in a side chapel. I wandered in there at night when it was otherwise deserted and an organ scholar was practising the organ -- eerie and wonderful all at once! The porters were very helpful with directions and ordering a taxi for an early morning departure. Given the competition for rooms and prices in Oxford, this was fine -- but just don't have any illusions.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 September 2013

There is no better place to pretend you are an Oxford undergraduate than a stay here. I was lucky enough to get a large room overlooking the quad, with an en suite and even a little dressing room in between. My desk overlooked the Quad in the sunshine: I could happily have stayed here for 3 years or more. Everything was thought of, from toiletries to mineral water to biscuits with the tea-making facilities. All at reception were polite and attentive, ordering taxis and helping me with the wireless internet connection. Breakfast in the dining hall was amazing. It's not quite as grand as the 'Harry Potter Hall' at Christchurch, but almost as breathtaking. Outstanding food included fresh fruit salad; the full English beautifully cooked (not greasy); cereals; coffee; herb teas etc. Do note that there are of course no TVs or radios in the room. As a business woman travelling on her own I thought I'd mind, but in fact I found the peacefulness relaxing. I didn't want to go home.

Room Tip: Stay in the quad if you can as the view is wonderful and you get a real sense of history.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank celloconcert
Reviewed 24 September 2013 via mobile

Jut stayed here on a 2 day conference. Everything was perfect the location , the room the catering and te elderflower G+T served to us by a second year philosophy and theology student. I am now trying to persuade one of my children to apply here just so I can return some time !

• Stayed September 2013