“Made to feel like I was a small child!!”
Review of Maxwell's - CLOSED

Maxwell's
Price range: US$1 - US$45
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: "Maxwell’s is one of Oxfords longest established late night bar and grills. Maxwell’s has recently undergone a major refurbishment to deliver a fresh, industrial chic look for the 21st century. Famous for their burgers, maxwell’s stands by a winning formula of top notch service and a recently launch, exciting new food menu designed to appeal to all tastes. Boasting years of experience, the knowledgable Maxwell’s bar team produce exquisite drinks. They offer an extensive menu of over 50 cocktails, including new signature creations and fresh fruit twists on old classics. Add a well balanced wine and champagne list and a superb choice of beers – theres something for everyone. Late night and Maxwell’s transforms into one of Oxfords leading party venues. With spectacular sound and light shows and some of the industries finest DJ’s spinning there way through a broad array of musical genres, Maxwell’s generates the best party atmosphere in Oxford."
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I usually like to put positive reviews as there is something good to say about most places. On this occasion, however, I could not find one positive thing to say about my lunch experience today at this restaurant.
We arrived to an empty restaurant and took a seat. After a fairly long wait a waiter came over and gave us some menus and took our drinks order. We ordered a mixed appetiser for two then a few minutes later he returned saying that if we ordered two main courses we'd get one free...good value we thought so we changed our order to two sandwiches and asked if the chef would consider swapping the chips for nachos. Not a difficult process and probably cheaper and quicker than chips. To this the waiter said no! It it very unlikely the chef will do that for you and then walked away to the kitchen! He returned some time later with our meals with the nachos and promptly told us that this time he'd put then on but in future it was not going to happen again.
I felt like a naughty child who had caused trouble and not like a valued customer at all! It strikes me that something is very wrong within this restaurant with customer service and if its not sorted out promptly they won't have any customers left! I certainly will not be returning.

2  Thank Mole53

Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

Ate here on Saturday night and can say without a shred of doubt that this is the worst place I have ever eaten.
£17 for a steak which resembled the sole of a flip flop and tasted worse. The oxford blue burger looked like it was from a can bought at Poundland, with about 5 handfuls of 5 day old sweated sour brown onion slop on the top.
Waited at least ten minutes without touching our food before anyone came over and was told 'any feedback is good feedback'?! Another 15 minutes before the 'manager' came over (although I have no idea how he has this job title) to tell us the food is exactly how we had ordered it and as we had eaten about two mouthfuls of the steak we have to pay for it (I don't remember asking for a £17 piece of leather and a kebab shop boiled burger?). Two full plates of food went back to the kitchen and we waited for our bill. Did it come promptly? No. The 'manager' had to have a laugh about the whole thing with the two waitresses at the till first!
Disgusting food. Disgusting service. Would not go back here and would never suggest to anyone to go.

3  Thank HollycBath
Reviewed 4 April 2014

Truly woeful. Where do I start? Staff that cannot speak a word of English. Filthy environment which resembled a squat, except that I would offer that they would be cleaner.
Food - nothing short of abysmal. It was like an episode of Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares!
The fishcakes tasted like pure oil with a mild helping of battered Nora Batty naughty regions.
The chicken was akin to a dying creature in the Sahara desert, and the Onion Rings reminded me of a student meal using Asda Smartprice food, but even then that's overselling it!
The Manager clearly cared as much as George Bush did about invading Iraq!
Horrific. Abysmal. Cancerous. Should have a Government Health Warning upon entry. Like death itself had came to visit me whilst eating.

4  Thank jjscaramanga
Reviewed 13 March 2014

My husband and I were supposed to eat elsewhere but unfortunately plans had changed and decided to eat here instead as we were passing. It was 2pm on a Wednesday afternoon and there were 4 people in the restaurant, My husband had been here before but not for a few years and he stated it looked as if it had gone down hill. First impressions for me were not great as the place looked dull and in need of an overhaul.
The service was not too bad, we were offered drinks before our meal. I ordered fajitas which came piping hot I thought were tasty, but slightly on the greasy side and my husband had the oxford blue burger and he stated he enjoyed it, however the chips it came with were not the best. £28 for 2 drinks and 2 Mains, not bad I guess.

1  Thank ruthy1982
Reviewed 3 March 2014 via mobile

Very grubby and dirty restaurant. There was food stains on the wall and the table was filthly. Had the fajitas and the vegtables were hardly cooked. The bottled beer was warm and when complainned the staff refused to get me a chilled beer and shouted abuse at me. The manager was even worse and also started shouting so in the end didnt drink my warm beer paid and left but certaintly will not return
and wouldnt recommend this place.

2  Thank ralarich