“Nice food - Poor, rude service.”
Review of Bar Meze

Bar Meze
Ranked #390 of 686 Restaurants in Oxford
Price range: US$0 - US$14
Cuisines: Greek, Turkish
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We went as a couple to this restaurant, and upon arrival we had a long wait till we were seated.
Once we had been I waited for around 15 minutes, watching one member of staff cleaning tables and running about, not really doing much actual work, so I asked if we could order a drink (as I don't mind waiting if I at least have a menu or a dink).
She then proceeded to snap at me that she was busy, and went to order another table, who then asked her to at least get our drinks as they had already eaten and could see I was very upset and shocked at how she had spoken to me. As it was a first date I was on, I did not want to kick up a fuss, and stayed.
We finally ordered a received our food. The food was nice, and the price not too bad - however the service was terrible. I would not recommend this restaurant due to the staff making me feel very small, and them being very disorganised.

1  Thank Bluegrasstravel88

Reviewed 29 July 2014

I have been a couple of times there now and last with my wife and Father in Law. He was a little skeptical in the beginning as he though the prices are at the lower end. We proved him wrong! The starters, Carpaccio and Mezzes where fantastic. The main courses where nicely decorated and very well presented. The service was friendly and quick. Also I enjoyed the lovely back garden that in the warm summer month is enjoyable.

I wonder how to manage to get a seat in this restaurant even without booking.

2  Thank Mo L
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We visited this restaurant tonight and was disappointed with the service. First of all we ordered a bottle of house wine which came to the table unopened, once opened and tried we soon realised that it was non alcoholic, this eventually was changed for what we had ordered.

After our meal we were not offered a second round of drinks, puddings nor coffee, for such a quiet restaurant this was inexcusable.

Whilst sitting down my friend brushed her leg against the table top, a mark was left on her white trousers which we believe was from the polish residue left on the edge of the table, when this was brought to the attention of the waitress Joanna? She just looked at me and said “yes it's polish” there was no apology, I said “are you not sorry” she rudely walked away and dismissed us muttering something.

When we received the bill I explained that the service was poor and that I objected to paying the service charge, she just shrugged her shoulders and said “fine take it” and again whilst walking off said she was very tied she had worked all day, from my reckoning there were only eight other people in the restaurant all night other than our party of six.

In my opinion do not waste a night out at this restaurant as the level of service offered is non existent, there are other restaurants in the same area that are much better for an evening out with friends.

3  Thank Jacqueline B
Reviewed 20 June 2014

As a Turkish man myself, I was extremely disappointed by the food and the service. It's such a shame that this is how you portray turkish food. It's a poor representation and attempt at proper turkish cuisine. The restaurant had no atmosphere and all the food prices were too high for the quality that was provided. Please do not go to bar mezze expecting turkish food. It was an absolute embarrassment for me to take my turkish family here and all of us leave so so disappointed. Never again!!!

1  Thank Haydyk
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

Being a native Turkish i regret visiting that restaurant as it doesn't do any justice to Turkish food. Lentil soup was hrooinle never tasted one that bad- too salty, too artificial i think due to amount of stock cubes they used. Mezes horrible all hot mezes arrived cold, all tasted very bad like frozen food not fresh. Didn't see any Turkish staff as made me wonder if the chef was Turkish or not as the food tasted nothing like Turkish food. I thinj they should be banned of using Turkish food as name since they can only give Turkish food a bad reputaion.

2  Thank seda4ozy