“The most awful service!”
Review of Turtle Bay Oxford

Turtle Bay Oxford
Ranked #87 of 698 Restaurants in Oxford
Price range: US$9 - US$29
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I have never experienced such awful service, it was actually funny how bad they handled it

A number of tables left without paying it was that bad!

6 of us went for a friend's birthday dinner... which we had booked elsewhere but thought turtle bay would be better, how wrong we were!

Firstly... it took 5 minutes for anyone to acknowledge our arrival it didn't look too busy but we later found out 1 person was off sick and 2 didn't show... information they should have given us at the start to warn us it would be a long wait.

We asked for water 4 times, and when we finally got it we got no glasses, probably because all the glasses were dirty at the bar.

Our table was booked for 815... by 1045 after we had complained a couple of times and saw 2 other tables that arrived later get their food before us, they thought we had cancelled our food order so threw it out, however we were also told they had lost our original order so had to make it up again. Not sure which is true but both are unacceptable.

Communication was awful, we had 3 different people 'serving us', one was complaining to customers about their night, one was super apologetic but was super flustered and the other, being the manager fed us so many ridiculous promises it was pitiful.

3  Thank BethRC

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We booked a table to go for my husbands birthday meal along with 7 of our friends. When we arrived we had cocktails to start at the bar, which were great (apart from the barmans attempt at humour telling us to talk about something more interesting so he can eavesdrop). The bar smelt a little of sewage/drainage - which I then found was due to two of the three toilets being out of order, clearly with some plumbing issues. We were then shown to our table, which was 1 place setting short so a friend had to take a place at the end of the table which wasn’t ideal but equally nothing to fuss over.

The waitress then came to take our orders, despite not have given us any menus - which when they came were just a poor quality print out staples together! We then started to order, to be told they didn’t have those items. We asked for a run through of what they didn’t have - the waitress seemed less than willing to go and ask the chef, of which we asked her to. We then started to change our orders based on this, to then be told that they didn’t have those either! We eventually managed to place our orders.

The starters arrived and were all fine - no issues at all. It then took a long time before the mains started to come out - 3 appeared first and were incorrect. When I advised the waitress my fries were wrong she said “I thought that might happen” with no apology. More orders came out again incorrectly. Two of the Shack Burgers came as a plain burger with no BBQ pulled pork as the menu stated, and again the wrong sides. We kept making this clear and asking for it to be rectified. They then appeared with two portions of plain fries of which no one had ordered - we advised this was still wrong and they said “we’ll keep them or they’ll just be thrown out”. By this point we politely told the waitress we had so many issues, and although it wasn’t her fault as she’d taken the order correctly, it wasn’t acceptable and we weren’t happy. We asked to speak to the manager, and she advised she’d get him but the chef wasn’t happy and she didn’t want to tell him and told us to tell him ourselves! They then came out with the BBQ pulled pork which was missing from the burgers (which were now cold!) and told them to add it to their burgers themselves, but sides were still wrong.

My husband kept asking for the manager, of which he finally arrived (and turned out to be the rude barman we’d encountered before!) and asked the issue - we explained the situation, to which he then asked the waitress, in front of us, if he was telling the truth! We said it was unacceptable and that we still had the incorrect orders and weren’t happy. He became rude and told us “just because you’re the customer doesn’t mean you’re right”! My husband asked him to change his tone, to which he responded “shush mate”. My husband then complained about this and the manager then threatened to “get the bouncer over here”. We told him not to bother and we left.

I’m not surprised that apart from our table, there was only one other couple in the whole restaurant! The service was absolutely shocking, and there seemed to be no apology or concern that our experience was terrible. I certainly won’t be coming back, and won’t be recommending that anyone visit. Absolutely diabolical.

3  Thank Rebecca P
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Wow .....
My partner and myself were in total shock with our visit to this restaurant last night Sunday 27th may 2018 we have never witnessed such disgusting behaviour in a restaurant while we have been trying to enjoy spending quality time together, firstly I would like to highlight this had nothing to do we the staff or the restaurant itself it was down to what are supposed to be grown adults with manners which clearly on 2 different tables don’t have a clue what this means by there actions in the restaurant....
so a big thank you to those 2 tables for spoiling our evening with your disgusting behaviour you should be ashamed of yourselves.
Table one it totally shocks me how you can eat the whole meal and say nothing until you need to pay that you wasn’t happy with it come on if the food was that bad how could you actually eat it? Oh yes you didn’t want to pay when the bill came was the bottom line.

Table 2 wow wow wow a group of 8/9 people having a laugh with drinks flowing and being very loud which is ok that you can’t take on board there are other people around trying to enjoy their evening but when you food comes out and there are a few mistakes doesn’t give any off you the rights to start swearing at staff very loudly cause you wanted everyone to hear what you had to say and highlight that you wasn’t paying for anything as the customer is always right is veil to be honest but after being so rude you start walking out of the restaurant laughing about it saying you was going onto trip advisor to let everyone know how bad the staff are is a joke especially when some of the group that was with you was grabbing the food from there plates and ramming it into there mouths like pigs while walking out ya clearly the customer is always right!!!
In my opinion if something isn’t done correctly act like a grown up adult and be polite as we all make mistakes don’t be rude about it.

Now I would like to say the staff were amazing especially dealing with people like that yes the restaurant was short staffed but they were dealing with the situation the best they could our food came out perfect and enjoyed all of it the staff were fabulous and I took the time to find out who they were so Gemma , Maria, Anthony and Gabriella we would like to thank you again for your wonderful customer service and making us feel welcome with how you were with us and the food was great

Anthony O, Manager at Turtle Bay Oxford, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Hey Kayla

Sorry for the late reply. I really am sorry that your evening was spoiled. I am also thankful you have told me it was not the staff but some customers. I would like to invite you to email the site directly on oxford@turtlebay.co.uk so i can sort out a way to make up for the spoiled evening. We have a new team starting in the kitchen and on the floor so we will not be understaffed for long so everything so should be evening better for you guys.

Again i am sorry for way the night went for you.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We booked into the Oxford ‘restaurant’ for my birthday with 8 friends. We arrived early and ordered cocktails from the bar, whilst waiting for our friends to arrive. Firstly the barman, who we later realised was the manager asked us to talk about something else as our conversation was boring and it’s his job to earwig.

We then were taken to the table, which had been set for 8 not 9 but that was fine. The waitress then arrived to take our orders for starters 5 minutes later, where we were told they had run out of most of the starters and she wasn’t sure what they had. We suggested she could maybe check for us, which was greeted with a sigh.

Our starters arrived, which were fine, following by an attempt at our mains. Of the 9 mains we ordered, none were correct (mainly due to wrong sides included and the ‘pulled pork burgers’ had no pulled pork). We calmly advised the waitress of the situation, which was greeted by another sigh and a mumble that they have a new chef so it couldn’t be helped. By this point it had been more than 15 minutes since the first meal came out, 2 were now correct but the remaining 7 were still incorrect.

The waiter came over and said we would have to talk to the chef ourselves or just put up with it. At this point I had quite honestly had enough so asked to talk to the manager. Surprisingly the manager was the rude barman we met upon our arrival, who came over to ask what’s going on. I explained the situation, where he then asked the waiter right next to me if I was ‘lying’.

At this point we asked the manager if he could please change his tone, where he responded with “shush mate” and threatened to “get the bouncer to sort us”, which I can only guess was a threat. We therefore all left immediately and will certainly never return again.

We have been to this restaurant 12 months ago and it was brilliant and packed. This time we were one of only 2 tables and would guess the above level of service is the reason for the decline. Avoid at all costs!

3  Thank ben902016
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

It was during a visit to Turtle Bay, Oxford - with friends for a birthday meal, that I witnessed some of the poorest waitressing and customer service I have ever seen.

I will start with the minor positives; 241 cocktails were ok but overloaded with ice. The starters we had were relatively tasty and came out in a timely fashion. As for the main course, I had the pork belly. This was unfortunately luke warm however this was not brought to the waitress' attention and I was also unable to finish my meal due to the following issues:

The vast majority of our party had not received their food and when it did arrive this was incorrect on multiple occasions. This was incredibly frustrating after the staff had told us on several different visits to our table when ordering, that items on the menu were unavailable. It appeared that the waitresses were clueless as to what was actually available to order. Perhaps if their menu was short, a master list of all the unavailable dishes would have been a good idea...

Despite long periods of confusion and the wrong main courses being brought to the table, the waitresses appeared nonplussed and passive about the situation. An example of this - the burgers being the wrong burger order and by the time the waitress brought the correct toppings, the burger had been sat on the table for a further 15 to 20 minutes. By this point we had already been waiting an hour for the food and two members of the table including myself were halfway through their food. Normally one to wait for others, my food was in danger of becoming completely cold. Two others on the table had not received any food AT ALL.

Almost all of the orders were wrong and the waitress' attitude to this was not acceptable. One of the waitresses agreed that the situation was unacceptable but if this was the case what should be done for hungry customers who have had a terrible dining experience? The manager was no better in dealing with the situation and offered no clear resolution to our complaints other than suggesting that we leave the premises.

Ultimately we decided to exit the venue feeling completely unsatisfied, disappointed and hungry. I am most surprised that Turtle Bay offered such an awful experience for its diners. Quite how staff could demonstrate such a lack in co-ordination and professionalism is beyond me. I would expect a mishap of such magnitude in food order to take place in McDonald's not Turtle Bay...

Staff organisation and appropriate customer service management must be addressed here. In the meantime I won't be returning and I certainly will not be recommending this shambles of an establishment to anyone I know.

4  Thank Daniel H