“Small and quirky but terrific find.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tuppenny Tube

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Woodstock
Tuppenny Tube
Ranked #13 of 14 Woodstock B&B and Inns
Wakefield
“Small and quirky but terrific find.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2012

Visited Woodstock while touring the Cotswolds, as to be honest, couldnt find anywhere worth a second look in Oxford. Booked Tuppenny Tube very late and managed to get half price, excellent value. Bare in mind when booking, the price doesnt include breakfast though this is offered at a discounted price (£5) to residents in the cafe area,included fresh fruit salad, bacon and eggs and toast and coffee, again great value.
Lets get it out the way, the room we had (number3) was 'compact'. It has a decent sized double bed, small fridge,a small TV and hanging area for clothes and en suite shower room, honestly what else do you need. There were complimentry 'products' in the en suite and water in the fridge.
In a nutshell, the accommodation is unusual, very clean, the breakfast was great and the owner and staff were brilliant. Woodstock is a great little town dominated by Blenheim Palace but with so much more to offer.

Room Tip: Room 3 overlooks garden to rear, others facing road may br noisy.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GrahamSarah

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2012

We stayed at Tuppenny Tube for one night in February and unfortunately unlike other reviewers, were disappointed.

Firstly I must say that Peter the owner was delightful to deal with both via email and when we saw him after check in. He was very helpful with providing information on accommodation for our next destination and happy to have a general chat over breakfast. The woman who checked us in was also friendly so we had no issues with the customer service. However the room we had was on the third floor so negotiating small, tight stairs with heavy suitcases was difficult. It was also very small and virtually impossible to move around in due to the location of two beds ( a double and single), fridge, side table and chair. There was just too much furniture for such a small room.

The bed was awful....you could feel springs in it and it was lumpy and old. The shower had a soap dispenser but no soap and we ended up using our own spare toilet paper as there was not enough.

I didn't mind my breakfast but my husbands bacon sarnie was not cooked properly and came out raw. Usually the breakfast is not included in the tariff but as it was a quiet time of year we were able to negotiate. We found it to be one of the more expensive B & B's but it definitely did not compare in terms of comfort to those in surrounding villages.

Was disappointing as it is in a great location for Blenheim Palace and there are some good pubs nearby for a pint and meal. Parking is also a big issue.....tip is to park for free down in the street diagonally opposite at the bottom of the hill and walk up.

Room Tip: Don't choose the room on the right of the top floor!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank TFandRacci
Cwmbran, South Wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

My husband and I have just got back from two nights stay at the Tuppenny Tube. Its a lovely little B&B above the craft shop and cafe. We stayed in Room 2 which is small but good enough and exactly like the images on the web, (the red room). There is a small fridge in the room and teas and coffee making facilities and fresh milk in the fridge which is a bonus. The breakfast was really nice and the staff are very friendly. Theres a definite relaxed vibe though so don't stay if you expect fast service. I would recommend it for a good value stay in a lovely village. Perfect for a visit to Blenheim Palace and Oxford. Tip: take your own hair dryer as only one to share between three rooms, can be a bit of a pain.
I would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Room 2 is on its own landing so maybe a bit more private than the two other rooms on the top floor...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SuzanneWales
Main Beach, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2012

The rooms are little small and quaint but a good place to stay to enjoy this lovely little village. B & B at a great price. Great for anyone wanting budget accommodation.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2012

Its hard to think what was the best thing about our stay at tuppeny. The location was brilliant as everything is very local in this village. The room was clean, bright, and comfortable. The facilities in the room were very good including an ensuit shower which had excellent pressure. Once revitilised by a great night sleep and cleanse, my girlfriend and I were welcomed down stairs where we had a table waiting for us where a wonderfully prepared breakfast was served. I think the best thing about this B&B is the layed back and chilled atmosphere with the most delightful staff. ALL the staff were interested in us and made us feel cared for without being invasive. I believe most the other reviews mention the staff and I think you will understand how nice they are once you call them up. The last thing was I proprosed to my girlfriend that weekend and the owner was nice enough to give us a gift from their craft shop. This now has its place in our home and it reminds us of this wonderfull weekend including this fabulous B&B which we will no doubt visit again!!!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dean B
Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2011

I stayed at the Tuppenny Tube in October 2011 and loved it! I am (sadly) rather picky about where I stay when I am travelling, and usually prefer staying at good hotels, but this B&B proved to be just as nice as any hotel.

I was welcomed by Sam, who helped me with my bags and showed me to my room. The room was small and had a teeny tiny bathroom, but it was all that I needed. The room was impeccably clean and had modern furnishing.
I had lunch (a platter of italian meats.. yummy!) before heading towards town and Blenheim.

Good breakfast included, both continental and cooked options. The best of it all is the service, though. Peter was such a nice guy and gave me plenty of tips on things to see and do, and everyone was very service-minded and friendly. Thank you!

Woodstock itself is a small, pretty little town with lots of small shops and pubs and Blenheim Palace is within easy walking distance (5 minutes tops). Incredible house and beautiful grounds and gardens.

A few tips: The TV in my room only had three channels, so if you like to relax in the room at night, bring your own entertainment (I had my Mac and lots of movies with me so not a problem for me). The weather was unusually hot for the season, so I had to sleep with the window open (no A/C), and if you are a light sleeper, you could probably consider bringing some earplugs. Not generally noisy, though. Ask staff for tips on where to park. They know the area well.

I had a lovely stay, and I hope that I`ll be able to come back with my husband some time.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Maje
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2011

After a very warm welcome from Peter we were shown to our double room which was lovely and so fesh and clean. After help with our bags we were given a welcoming coffee served by Joe, a friendly young man, We had a good mooch around Wodstock and attended the Brompton World Championship at Blenhiem. Our beakfast was hearty with a great selecttion of food, We would reccomend this B & B it is great value for money and one of the most freindly and welcoming we have visited.,

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Donna j
Also consider these accommodations in or near Woodstock
Macdonald Bear Hotel
#1 of 14 in Woodstock
The Townhouse
The Townhouse
#4 of 14 in Woodstock

Been to Tuppenny Tube? Share your experiences!